Essential read from Alan Biggs

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

All these journalists experts on here eh?

Who'd have thought

I have nothing against them but the Stir have been doing it for years.

Look when we sign a player, we have the so and so has signed, we then get the same article printed 6 different ways over the next 2 weeks in the paper.

Go on line now and look at the Stir there are there are 9 different articles about the Corona virus. How many different ways can you tell the same article. Call it modern journalism I just call it lazy journalism.

3 hours ago, Mister Soul said:

The club have brought in new players since.. by definition that is recruitment.

Why we chose to bring in an (seemingly) unfit Connor Wickham I can’t understand.

Why, when our present starting 11 is poo, do we bring in 3 players in Jan who are generally deemed not good enough to improve that starting 11. Makes absolutely no sense. We don't have time to let players adjust/get match fit. We're in the shiite now and need immediate improvements. I appreciate no transfer will guarantee success but our record has been and remains dismal.
Think how many players have been brought into the club since DC was here, that have had no real posititive impact on the team, several of whom have hardly ever player for us. Mindboggling.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I have nothing against them but the Stir have been doing it for years.

Look when we sign a player, we have the so and so has signed, we then get the same article printed 6 different ways over the next 2 weeks in the paper.

Go on line now and look at the Stir there are there are 9 different articles about the Corona virus. How many different ways can you tell the same article. Call it modern journalism I just call it lazy journalism.

You're assuming that everyone is like yourself and has seen the previous articles etc

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You're assuming that everyone is like yourself and has seen the previous articles etc

Indeed but before everything went online the standard of news in the local paper just seem better.

I would be surprised if Dom and who ever is now the Journo for the owls even attends the pre match press conference because you never hear any direct questions coming from them.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Do you think our journalists/local papers are doing a good job? Doing everything possible to get the facts for their readers?

Or do you think they just tow the party line, keep in everyone's good books so they are allowed to ''cover'' the club?

4 hours ago, Stoop said:

I just delete my history after every 5 free articles, it resets and you then get another 5

Only a seasoned history deleter like me knows these things :ph34r:

Scared of your browsing history falling into the wrong hand eh.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

And sued/shut down

Only a muppet would publish material that is not factually based or correct (at time of going to press). It is also ok to report and publish comment on allegations 

I think that it’s more about an appetite for bravery. A football club would always need the local press as much as the local press would need access to a football club.

Trains and Gravy.

The star is suffering a slow death, which is a shame it ought to be a lot faster.

The Star and accociated press are 20 years behind, bombing readers with ads and spam won't work. In fact they ought re-launch Alta Vista.

Even some 'decent newspapers' are having probs getting subscribers, the star ain't got a chance of being a success online....the owners btw, nothing against some of their reporters...

7 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

The star is suffering a slow death, which is a shame it ought to be a lot faster.

The Star and accociated press are 20 years behind, bombing readers with ads and spam won't work. In fact they ought re-launch Alta Vista.

Even some 'decent newspapers' are having probs getting subscribers, the star ain't got a chance of being a success online....the owners btw, nothing against some of their reporters...

What else can they do?  They certainly have gone down market since the newspapers only days.  Dunno about the paper content nowadays hardly ever look at The Star, online it can be very sensational, clickbait I guess.

Sad really it used to be a good read.

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

Kind of smacks of someone over estimating their own self importance. 

What Alan "on the fence" Biggs!

He never commits to knowing anything and as a journalist should tell the people that he is responsible to, ie his readers (I tend not to read them, but this one caught my eye while eating my brekky), which questions he has asked of whom and how they chose to answer them, refuse to answer them or refer him to ask somebody else.

I have had issue with quite a few of Biggsy's articles bsaying nothing and not read any for a long time now, but I thought that this title was a bit more demanding and, reading between the lines, he was telling the fans to get off their 'rses and do something about what is going on at the club directly, rather than relying on the Stirs lazy reporters, who let's face it, have gone rapidly downhill since the days of Paul "Terry Henfleet" Thompson! 

7 hours ago, torres said:

Do you think our journalists/local papers are doing a good job? Doing everything possible to get the facts for their readers?

Or do you think they just tow the party line, keep in everyone's good books so they are allowed to ''cover'' the club?

I’ve always made reference back to the Midlands football phone in (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03lh0yw) as a bench mark for football journalism; they have past players on that talk sense, and the guy who runs the show tells it how it is. 

This is what’s needed, a return to the old P&G format. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, George said:

If Biggs had not been such a dishonest poopydoo in his coverage of Dave Allen's tenure at Hillsborough then we might not be in this mess.

And Chesterfield might still be in the league.

As one of those subject to legal action by the club's board back in the day, I have little respect for the way the local press did not hold them suitably accountable and were little more than sycophants and propagandists. But of all the issues leading us to be in the chest high sewage of the present, I can honestly say that it never occurred to me that Alan Biggs was one of them.

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Here comes ToppOwl - the definitive source of which journalists are good or not 🤣

If anyone in here hasn’t noticed, the footballing press and pundit panel are all praising Wilder and rightly so. 

Whilst we come on here every night bemoaning our luck, he’s enjoying the gap.

I can’t stand the man, but he’s worked wonders on a shoestring budget. 

Wednesday on the other hand...

Nonsense article. We complain that the journalism is opinion parading as investigation, and they respond with even more opinion. 

Also, the only way he could have the sense that anyone is blaming journalists is if he was on Owlstalk. There's hardly been a fansgroup statement or matchday banner denouncing The Star, has there? 

Bless it, The Star is just an online offline Owlstalk, but with only three posters and a hell of a lot of clickbait. 

Edited by cbirks
  • Like 1

"I say “suggestions” because that is all they can be. You can’t tell someone who has sunk many millions into a business how to run it." 

So will we all be politely applauding if he sells off our assets and leaves us on the brink off administration? What 'don't upset the masters' drivel. The man should be ashamed.