My First ITK

6 minutes ago, bradowl said:

But as well as owning club he also now owns ground, whatever it was valued at he'll want that money plus rest of it he's thrown at it. 

All these players on mega contracts want paying, so if Chansiri said "that's it I'm not putting another penny in, where does money come from?

We could become next Bury and Macclesfield within weeks not months.

How many players do we have on mega contracts after the summer?

56 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That’s just one

That doesn’t make it virtually guaranteed to go up by spending more

Nobody says it virtually guarantees anything but the more money you have to spend on players the better your chances. Also the better your scouting the better your chances, the better your coaching/manager, the better your chances. There are a lot of factors involved, they inter-react. Nothing is simple.

Nothing guarantees promotion but being a well run club with good funding makes it more likely than being a disorganised outfit with barely 2 ha'pennies to rub together.

5 minutes ago, morley said:

I think we're actually discussing semantics here.

DC will have to pay the club for the ground, whether it be by cash or by writing off loans.

If he wants to sell the big issue is how much of the residual debt + ground valuation will he want to recover?

If he wants a big chunk of it then he, and we, have a problem.

Have you any idea what his total loans amount to at this moment in time? (I'm just interested to know)

£78m in July 2018 having risen from £38m in May 2017. Cash absorbed by the business in the 14 months was £27m so at the moment 19 months later probably comfortably north of £100m.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bradowl said:

None I hope. 

Rhodes and Westwood I believe still contracted until 2021. 

Bannan, Reach and Lees aswell who are on over 20k a week and contracts expire in 2021.

Other than that we only have Palmer, Iorfa, Borner, Luongo, Wildsmith and Dawson. Don’t think there’s any mega contracts there 

4 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

Is there any chance the EFL could disqualify Chansiri under the Owners and Directors test as they did with Cellino at Leeds?

Would that be a good outcome for us now?

Given that he himself is facing an EFL misconduct charge, this is very possible.  Not sure what happens should it go that way.  I can't imagine the EFL have any power to force a sale, he could probably pass ownership to a family member.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I have been on here many years but never been ITK with stuff. However, today is the day after nearly a decade on Owlstalk that I join the highly esteemed likes of The Bizzle, Big Guns, Penguin and John Bloodaxe in being truly ITK. 

One of my friends (not an Owl) works at another Championship club and a guy who he knows from university currently works for us (I won't say the role but it is with the first team and U23). They met last week and got talking about Wednesday as he knows my family are all supporters and season ticket holders. This is what he passed on to me, some of it is very obvious stuff we can all guess, but some other things might be surprising.

- The first team were told that a points deduction is inevitable and is imminent (although DC is still committed to appealing it). He had heard 12 points was what had been mentioned to the first team and he does think this has really affected the performances etc

- DC wants out and has hardly spent any time at the club this season. He is also quite widely disliked by staff there

- If we do manage to stay up after a points deduction he doesn't believe DC will be spending much on big signings again

- Monk is apparently liked by the players and staff (surprising) and the way he speaks seems to indicate he plans to be here long term and use a new younger side 

- Westwood and Hutch have been pushed out after falling out with Monk. Apparently they both aren't that well - liked behind the scenes, especially with the newer players. He also described one of them as not a nice character

- There are some divisions within the dressing room 

- Fletcher is a legend and everyone loves him 

- Rhodes was due to sign for Celtic on transfer deadline day on loan but DC requested a ridiculous loan fee that Celtic didn't want to pay

- Monk has been told he can bring in his own backroom staff and wants a big turnover in the current playing squad in the summer

- In his opinion as an employee and not a supporter, the club massively lacks leadership and direction and it seems that things are just plodding along without any real aims. Just a sort of, 'let's hope we get promoted' without having any real plan. This stems from DC

- He has no idea why we haven't got a Chief Exec or an equivalent to run the day to day things at the club, especially seeing as DC is rarely ever at the club nowadays

Most it seems pretty plausible and nothing too groundbreaking. Enjoy garymegson

A Blind man on a galloping horse could have predicted all of that.

Get some new bait.

10 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I have been on here many years but never been ITK with stuff. However, today is the day after nearly a decade on Owlstalk that I join the highly esteemed likes of The Bizzle, Big Guns, Penguin and John Bloodaxe in being truly ITK. 

One of my friends (not an Owl) works at another Championship club and a guy who he knows from university currently works for us (I won't say the role but it is with the first team and U23). They met last week and got talking about Wednesday as he knows my family are all supporters and season ticket holders. This is what he passed on to me, some of it is very obvious stuff we can all guess, but some other things might be surprising.

- The first team were told that a points deduction is inevitable and is imminent (although DC is still committed to appealing it). He had heard 12 points was what had been mentioned to the first team and he does think this has really affected the performances etc

- DC wants out and has hardly spent any time at the club this season. He is also quite widely disliked by staff there

- If we do manage to stay up after a points deduction he doesn't believe DC will be spending much on big signings again

- Monk is apparently liked by the players and staff (surprising) and the way he speaks seems to indicate he plans to be here long term and use a new younger side 

- Westwood and Hutch have been pushed out after falling out with Monk. Apparently they both aren't that well - liked behind the scenes, especially with the newer players. He also described one of them as not a nice character

- Rhodes was due to sign for Celtic on transfer deadline day on loan but DC requested a ridiculous loan fee that Celtic didn't want to pay

- Monk has been told he can bring in his own backroom staff and wants a big turnover in the current playing squad in the summer

- In his opinion as an employee and not a supporter, the club massively lacks leadership and direction and it seems that things are just plodding along without any real aims. Just a sort of, 'let's hope we get promoted' without having any real plan. This stems from DC

- He has no idea why we haven't got a Chief Exec or an equivalent to run the day to day things at the club, especially seeing as DC is rarely ever at the club nowadays

In my best Obi Wan Kanobi voice :- "Haven't heard those names for a long long time".

Could do with some of Big Gun's gallows humour on here at the moment.

45 minutes ago, morley said:

What concerns me most about all this mess is the situation with our ground.

Well it was our ground until DC sold it to another company for £80m to plug a gap in our finances and now it's his ground.

If he wants to sell up you would assume that any would be new owner will want to buy the ground back so they will have to find £80m for that before we even start thinking about the football club.

I can't see that DC could accept much less than the said £80m without blowing holes in his "valuation" previously submitted to the EFL as part of his attempt to comply with P & S restrictions.

Also, he needs £80m as I believe that he has not yet paid the club for the ground so once he has been paid he can then settle his obligations to the club.

I have no idea what level of debt the club is carrying but hopefully the £80m ground sale monies will take care of most of this as most of the rest of the club's assets will be worth almost nothing with player contracts running out all over the shop.

In this case we probably could get a new buyer if DC agrees to walk away and write of the substantial amount of his own money that he has spent so far, but if he is looking to recover some of his losses I fear we could me in for a long wait while he waits for the right "mug" to come along.

Unhappy times and still a long way to go in this saga :sad:

DC will sell for the best price he can get, that's only sensible. On the other hand the club is costing him money every day he remains owner, that gives him an incentive to bring his price down until he gets an offer. Say it costs him £13M every year to fund us, how many years is he going to hang on hoping for a sale?

At present he'd be lucky to get £50M for the club and the ground. We are unsure which division we are going to be in next year while ever the EFL P and S situation is unresolved. If once that is sorted we are still a Championship club then the price will improve. Get our finances in order and it might fetch more.

I can't see any situation arising where DC gets all his money back unless we get to the Premier League. He's going to have to take a loss. That's football.

2 hours ago, Minton said:

So we increased the matchday revenues by ~60%. It won't have covered the entirety of the wage increase but we would have failed P&S had we not done it. 

It didn't work, but it was close to getting us promoted. In hindsight, it was probably the wrong call, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And we did fail P&S having done it.

10 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

An entire squad full of spineless overpaid wasters led by an uninspiring manager and a chairman who doesn't give 2 hoots...what a time to be alive.

Saturday was the final straw for me

If you've done and are never going again, you've packed in being a supporter so why bother having any interest on this forum?

By the way, Megson was never a god at this club, he was another one disliked by staff, bit of itk from a few years ago this. 

11 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I am disappointed that you didn’t mention the mighty JonTheOwl in your ITK shoutouts.

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
45 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Rhodes and Westwood I believe still contracted until 2021. 

Bannan, Reach and Lees aswell who are on over 20k a week and contracts expire in 2021.

Other than that we only have Palmer, Iorfa, Borner, Luongo, Wildsmith and Dawson. Don’t think there’s any mega contracts there 

Can't believe we gave Palmer a 3 year deal and Dawson a 4 year deal... it's like we're locking in mediocrity. Same as giving Wildsmith a 5 year deal I think it was... he'd have been released about 3 years ago without that

11 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

You’re in Thailand, can’t you just nip out and have a word with DC’s dad?

Edited by Growl67
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Minton said:

They spent £40m, with only £19m going out.

THEY SPENT LOADS FFS 

No way did only 19 million depart in player transfers

They got 30 million for Sissoko from Spurs, 12 million from Palace for Townsend and around 25 million from Liverpool for Winjaldum

Geordie fans couldn't believe their eyes when they saw a 30 million figure for Sissoko, a comparison of that is a club offering one pence for Kim Olsen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1