• Forestieri
    • Lee
    • Harris
    • Fox
    • Wickham
    • Fletcher

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It’s no secret I like Lee.

Obviously not at his overall best but he played well today.

We just play more football when Lee plays. He gets the ball down and generally passes to one of ours. Great football brain.

Still covers the ground, probably not as much as before, but still more than most.

And still appears from nowhere into dangerous positions.

The penalty was quite close to me and that seemed to happen because he was on the move while others stood still.

yeah all fair points, I should’ve rated him a 6 not a 5 - was as impactful as FF and both had an ok game 

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I purposely waited till morning before I posted because I was so pissed off with their goal that I would have posted terrible ratings for everyone when in truth we actually played quite well although we were still poor defensively.

Dawson 6 could do nothing about the goals. Did well on crosses. His confidence looks totally shot through.

Pelupessy 5 better at wing back than in midfield but still not good enough.

Iorfa 5 struggled in the air surprisingly. Can understand why he was replaced 

Lees 6 his overall game was very good but poor on both second and third goal. Squad player now.

Borner 6 better but not great. Slow and has anyone noticed that he goes down holding his face at least once a game over next to nothing?

Palmer 6 steady

Lee 8 played very well. Covered loads of ground and won the penalty. Much better

Bannan 8 excellent performance. Much like the Bazza we know. Great finish and some lovely passes

Murphy 7 was excellent but I’ve dropped him two points because of his pathetic own goal and awful finish when clean through. How he’s missed that I have no idea.

Harris 6 worked hard but often picked the wrong option. Definitely has attributes but is a work in progress 

Forestieri 7 got a goal and assist and worked very hard. Ridiculous decision by Monk to start him up front on his own which maybe has cost us the three points 

Wickham 7 looked dangerous and almost scored

Fox 7 so glad he’s back. Defence looks more solid with him there

Fletcher 6 good for him to get some minutes 

Monk 5 got it wrong again which ultimately cost us the game. Credit to him for changing it at half time though. The players did look like they wanted to play for him today.  

Have to follow this up with a win in midweek now.

Keiran Lee for me today,had a stormer,allover the park closing down,tackling and finding holes threading passes,a bit like the Lee of old today.

Tad hard on Murphy and FF who likewise have played really well,Murphys had one of those days,but his influence and and contribution have grown the last two months.Bannans done well today as well,hes far more effective further foreward,although he did drop deeper as the 2nd half went on.

Central defence is a major cause for concern,of the 3 current CBs we have,NONE of them look dependable,there allover the shop and cant command their own penalty area,the major cause for concern is the amount of headers we lose in our own box,its cost us yet again today late on for the umpteenth time this season,makes me wonder how bad is this kid Bates?Can he be any worse then what we have.......

I went with Murphy. Own goal aside he was a constant threat and was the one of the main reasons we had a decent 2nd half. It was between him and FF for me, but went for Murphy as assist aside FF wasn't as influential as him. None of the central midfielders as we let 3 in and they are also in part responsible for that, too often did their midfielders just walk through ours. 

4 hours ago, robswfc said:

Not sure how 42 of you have got Murphy as MOM when he scored a ridiculous OG and missed a glorious chance to win it

Perhaps they went and saw the whole game rather than relying on Tv footage and Owlstalk posts to make a decision

4 hours ago, GerOwl said:

I went with Murphy. Own goal aside he was a constant threat and was the one of the main reasons we had a decent 2nd half. It was between him and FF for me, but went for Murphy as assist aside FF wasn't as influential as him. None of the central midfielders as we let 3 in and they are also in part responsible for that, too often did their midfielders just walk through ours. 

Sadly been the case for too long now. 

Dawson - 6 - No chance with any of the goals. Looked confident and assured dealing with the continuous long balls/throw-ins into our box. Thought his early kicking was good today as well.

Pelupessy - 6 - Surprised to see him play at right back, but I thought he did alright, all things considering. He didn't venture forward very much, but he kept Bellingham (the £50m superstar) very quiet. Can't make my mind up whether he should've done better, in the build up to Birmingham's 2nd goal. 

Iorfa - 5 - You can usually rely on Iorfa to be dominant aerially, but he really struggled yesterday, especially from set pieces up against Roberts. Lost far too many basic aerial duals, but unless he picked up a knock, I can't understand the rationale for taking him off instead of Lees, who had a torrid time. 

Lees - 4 - He's really struggling at the minute. Looks bereft of self-belief. Jutkiewicz had the measure of him from the 1st minute right until the last. He's directly at fault for the 2nd goal, and he should be doing more to prevent the striker from nodding the ball down into Hogan's path for the equaliser. 

Borner - 6 - 1st half, I thought he was the pick of the defenders, and won a great header to initiate the turnover which led to Bannan's opening goal. Really settled down in the 2nd half, and looked assured for the mostpart. That said, I think he should be a lot closer to Lees for the equaliser...if he is, Hogan doesn't get to the ball, and doesn't score.

Palmer - 6 - Did alright, without ever doing enough in the 1st half. Grew into the game in the 2nd half, and was involved in some nice interplay down the right hand side. But, for the equaliser, he's switched off, which is criminal in the dying minutes of a game, and allowed Hogan to get a run on him. Both Lees and Borner could have done more to prevent it happening, but Palmer's direct lack of insight into whats going on around him, has allowed the goalscorer to get to the ball before him. 

Bannan - 8 - Much better. In the 1st half, I thought it epitomised Bannan's strengths and weaknesses. With the ball, he looked in the mood, probing, trying to make things happen, and often with good end results. Took his goal well, but also set Murphy and Harris away on a number of occasions. But, without possession, was too passive, too reserved and allowed Birmingham to get at our defence far too often. 2nd half, he and Lee found a good balance, and dominated the midfield, and as a result, Birmingham really struggled to create anything.

Lee - 8 - Man of the Match - It was like watching Lee from the 2015-16 season. Neat, intricate touches, making third man runs, and exploiting the half spaces. Wonderful touch to bring the ball out of the sky over his shoulder in the build up to Murphy's goal, and of course, won the penalty for the equaliser. He's obviously getting back to full fitness...lasting 90 minutes and looking strong throughout. The key to getting the best out of him...is to play football through the thirds, which is what we did yesterday. Two assists and a 2nd assist for Lee yesterday...not a bad day at the office. 

Murphy - 8 - Another really positive performance, and out of this dreadful run, I think he's been the only consistent shining light. He's getting himself into good goalscoring positions, and is looking like the wide man with a goal threat we've all been craving. Took his goal superbly, but has to score the one-on-one to seal the game.

Harris - 7 - Real threat in the 1st half on the counter, and gave Colin a tough time. As often the case, his final ball or decision making can be questioned, but I do feel, that we are a much better side when he plays and gives us that width and ability to stretch teams.

Forestieri - 7 - I saw the comments on here and Twitter before the game, about how Monk had lost the plot playing FF up front on his own. But it's all about how you play to that front man. By playing Forestieri up top on his own, it forced us to play through the thirds, and negated the long ball option. And, as a result, I thought we played some of our best attacking football of the season. He was busy, got himself into some good positions, and his general play was decent. Took his penalty well also.

Fox - 7 - Came on, and was positive in his mentality. Looked to win balls by been aggressive, and it set the tone for the half. 

Wickham - 7 - Linked up well with Forestieri, was a handful for the defenders and showed glimpses of quality. 

Fletcher - 6 - Just good to see him back out there ahead of schedule. 

Overall...

Monk has taken some stick recently. Some justified, some not, and some damn right ignorant. And before the game yesterday, he copped a load more. And again, he could be deemed guilty of playing round pegs in square holes (this time with Pelupessy at right (wing) back). But we didn't concede those two goals in the 1st half through Pelupessy playing in an alien position...the first is an unfortunate own goal that you can't do much about, and the second comes from our captain, and most experienced centre half playing with as much nous and aggression as a ballerina. 

The system in the 1st half forced us to play in a certain way, that ensured we got the best out of our attacking players. Forestieri drifted about and dragged their centre halves around, and Murphy and Harris stayed high and wide, and continually exploited the space left by their full backs. Bannan had clear instructions to release the ball early into those dangerous areas, and Lee begun to get in and around the play to pick up those 2nd balls. And, full credit to the players, to have the belief to play that way, considering their confidence levels and barren run of results. 

That said, his changes at half time improved things further. Wickham allowed Forestieri even more freedom, and he began picking the ball up across the pitch, Bannan and Lee got on top of things defensively, because Wickham had pushed Birmingham's back line further back for 5 -10 yards, and we really began to play on the front foot. We scored a great goal to get us in the lead, and had a couple of other good chances to kill the game after that point. 

Of course, it's disappointing to throw more points away, so late on. But there was encouraging from yesterday's display. As much as I can see Monk's idea to play the 3-4-3 (or to be honest, it was more of a 5-2-3 yesterday), defensively we just don't seem organised or resilient enough at the moment. The switch to 4-4-2 reverted back to basics, and the pairing of a pseudo-target man in Wickham (or Fletcher) alongside the more dynamic Forestieri, should also give centre halves a problem. 

But the key to all these formations, is the centre of midfield. Yesterday, Bannan and Lee both put in good performances, and it was no surprise our overall performance improved, as well as our attacking outputs. If we can get a midfield pairing (or trio) working as effectively as those two did yesterday (for the mostpart), then our results will pick up. Because we've got enough quality in other areas. And of course, if our defence can show the type of resolute resilience their showed earlier in the season, that would be much appreciated also!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Dawson 6 could do nothing about the goals. Did well on crosses. His confidence looks totally shot 

Talented  lad and now he's  cemented his place as the recognised number one his confidence should only  grow ....

12 hours ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Just because some sane people don't believe that Bannan isn't better than Zidane, doesn't make them haters.

Good to see him score. He's on track to get three goals this season. Hardly world beating is it?

well I’m siding with Big Ron on this one, he always had a good eye for a player 

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Bannan by an absolute mile

I thought our back four got bullied

We looked better down the left when Fox came on

Harris constantly makes the wrong choice, if it wasn't for his pace he'd be playing in Concorde park

Keiron Lee was busy

Murphy showed flashes

I don't get the love in for Forestieri, for me he's still a pale imitation of the player he was

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, torryowl said:

Talented  lad and now he's  cemented his place as the recognised number one his confidence should only  grow ....

Completely disagree but it’s all about opinions I guess.