Summer clear out...but then what?

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he signed leon Clarke a player with none of the attributes you describe and yet turned him into something we never thought he could be …...whether monk could do that i'm not so sure . 

Tbh I think we should forget Utd because they’re pretty unique in terms of how they’ve done things.. what they’re achieving (League 1 to Europe in 3 seasons) is up there with Leicester winning the league a few years ago. It’s not really something we can hold up as a blue print as the right way of doing things because it’s a one off

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he signed leon Clarke a player with none of the attributes you describe and yet turned him into something we never thought he could be …...whether monk could do that i'm not so sure . 

he moved into many decent positions for his team mates to pass to - whether wilder saw this in him or it was just a punt with little risk who knows. It certainly paid off though.

8 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

With so many players out of contract, in particular some high earners, we’ve been lauding this as a great thing for some time now and a chance to start afresh. 

Ive got to say however, do we have any faith whatsoever that this club is going to do any form of mass recruitment and actually get that right?

Clubs will know we have 0 strikers, so it’s likely our job in the market will be difficult. Clubs will ask for inflated fees and out of contract players will know of our desperation

If we still had Bruce, I’d be comforted knowing he would have a big say in the transfer dealings. But will Monk be afforded the same control? 

The issue starts at the top and I have no faith that our situation on the pitch will improve after a summer clear out, except for lowering our wage bill. 

We can’t spend and might have a transfer ban again..so we’ll most likely assemble a team full of League 1 players.

I just see it being a long and drawn out Summer with no clear plan. I’m very nervous regarding the club right now. The end of this season has us at a serious crossroads in our time. It could end up being worse than our relegation from the PL 20 years ago.

What we do this Summer has an impact on our next 10’years in my view. Get it right and we are on an upward curve. Get it wrong and it could spell the end.

7 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

I just see it being a long and drawn out Summer with no clear plan. I’m very nervous regarding the club right now. The end of this season has us at a serious crossroads in our time. It could end up being worse than our relegation from the PL 20 years ago.

What we do this Summer has an impact on our next 10’years in my view. Get it right and we are on an upward curve. Get it wrong and it could spell the end.

I think it will give us a big indication as to Chansiris plans for us too. 

If he's banned by the EFL etc....

I hope we don't end up with an owner who wont invest any longer and we get stripped to the bare bones.

7 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Doesn’t look like we’ve any money to spend either so it’ll be mainly frees and loans.

Even though we’ve sold Joao and Hunt for around £6 million combined in the last couple of years, we haven’t signed a player for over £1 million for 3 years. Rhodes and van Aken were the last ones

1 minute ago, pat blondeau said:

Doesn’t look like we’ve any money to spend either so it’ll be mainly frees and loans.

Even though we’ve sold Joao and Hunt for around £6 million combined in the last couple of years, we haven’t signed a player for over £1 million for 3 years. Rhodes and van Aken were the last ones

You don’t have to spend big to get a decent squad together. Think that’s what’s put is in our current predicament. It’s about getting the right players in, not the  big names. Not sure we have the people in place to understand this.

12 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Tbh I think we should forget Utd because they’re pretty unique in terms of how they’ve done things.. what they’re achieving (League 1 to Europe in 3 seasons) is up there with Leicester winning the league a few years ago. It’s not really something we can hold up as a blue print as the right way of doing things because it’s a one off

They aren't in a false position.. it's no fluke..some careful/clever planning has gone in there..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, malek said:

We need to completly change our transfer strategy next summer.

Lets see what is available in lower leagues. Players who proved themself there and are hungry for their chance at this level. Blades built promotion winning side like this, we signed Kieran Lee from the same pot.

There must be talented players at Premiership clubs sick and tired of waiting for their chance. Some of best Championship players were brought to their clubs this way. And that is from where we signed Whelan and Brunt.

Lets hope we have scouting network in place so we can exploit these markets. With many high earners gone in the summer, at least we should be in position to offer atractive contracts.

Absolutely this............our fans need to accept a shift in policy.

There are two players who play locally who are out of contract in the summer...............right back Kieran Freeman at the blunts and midfielder Alex Mowatt at Barnsley Both would be a marked improvement on some of the players we currently have in those positions  (Palmer, Odubajo, Pelupessy etc) but i guarantee that me just mentioning this will lead to howls of "lack of ambition" and "bargain basement"...............................a bit like how they slated Wilder for signing "lower league nobodies" like Lundstram, Baldock and Stevens.

3 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

There are two players who play locally who are out of contract in the summer...............right back Kieran Freeman at the blunts and midfielder Alex Mowatt at Barnsley Both would be a marked improvement on some of the players we currently have in those positions  (Palmer, Odubajo, Pelupessy etc) but i guarantee that me just mentioning this will lead to howls of "lack of ambition" and "bargain basement"...............................a bit like how they slated Wilder for signing "lower league nobodies" like Lundstram, Baldock and Stevens.

I can’t see there being many howls.

The team we’re putting out currently only has Forestieri that cost more than 500k so we’re already bargain basement 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

What bit I've seen of Mowatt he hasn't struck me but I've heard from others that there's something there..all in all what you're proposing might have to be the way forward.

On 17/02/2020 at 15:11, WelshOwl74 said:

I fully expect monk to be sacked by the March at the very latest with estate agent taking control to the summer

Fox,Lees, Hutchinson, nuhiu and Lee will get a new contract with the club learning nothing, rest will leave 

We will then wait til August to sign past it players on frees, a few loans and maybe spend 500k on a player no ones heard of

Then problem Carlos will lead us into next season 

Most fans on here will go on and on about how he got us to two playoffs 

We will win a few games and people will say how we are guaranteed top 6, got some of best players in league blah blah, then it will explode like a wet fart and be back at square one 

Wow. 

Have a bit of respect for people. 

9 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

The team we’re putting out currently only has Forestieri that cost more than 500k so we’re already bargain basement 

That’s remarkable. Hadn’t spotted that.

I suppose Luongo, Reach and Fox change that, but only Reach among them cost anything of note.

On 17/02/2020 at 13:56, billyblack said:

Yep it is.

Of course we have a team working on this at the moment, making contact with players, speaking to agents and players, scouting Europe etc, its all in hand obviously....

There’s only one thing that Amadeu Paixao has in hand and it isn’t scouting ...

lol

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

That’s remarkable. Hadn’t spotted that.

I suppose Luongo, Reach and Fox change that, but only Reach among them cost anything of note.

At the minute we’re a team almost completely made up of frees, loans and academy players.

Most of the players that have cost anything of note under DC (Rhodes, Abdi, van Aken, Matias, Jones, Joao, Hooper, Hunt) have either left the club or are not being considered for selection.

The only two still at the club that cost over £1 million who are featuring in Monk’s plans are Reach and FF

One problem we will have is that the place would have to be something the freebies want to come to. Any better players can choose, and I'm sure we will have to do some serious persuasion to make them even look at our direction give the state things have been lately.

21 hours ago, Rogers said:

We can’t spend and might have a transfer ban again..so we’ll most likely assemble a team full of League 1 players.

They can't stop us signing players completely. They do restrict the wages we can pay each new signing which might at least be a good thing. If it means we pick up lower league players with potential it could be great long term.

On 18/02/2020 at 02:09, WhiteOwl91 said:

With so many players out of contract, in particular some high earners, we’ve been lauding this as a great thing for some time now and a chance to start afresh. 

Ive got to say however, do we have any faith whatsoever that this club is going to do any form of mass recruitment and actually get that right?

Clubs will know we have 0 strikers, so it’s likely our job in the market will be difficult. Clubs will ask for inflated fees and out of contract players will know of our desperation

If we still had Bruce, I’d be comforted knowing he would have a big say in the transfer dealings. But will Monk be afforded the same control? 

The issue starts at the top and I have no faith that our situation on the pitch will improve after a summer clear out, except for lowering our wage bill. 

What league we will be playing in is anyone's guess, should we be relegated it's going to be a complete disaster.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2020 at 09:51, pat blondeau said:

Bargain basement is fine as long as the right players are targeted in line with a plan. Indeed, its the right way to go if you can do it for next to nothing.

I don’t think making such a drama out of things regarding a so called clear out, has been helpful It’s an ongoing process surely, quite a few players left last season, and a few new lads came in. There was no drama about those dealings, it was just the natural cycle of players coming and going. Ditto the transition from Bruce to Bullen, and kudos to the latter for calmly overseeing that process Now see how Monk handles things, causing unnecessary upheaval amongst, both the players, and the fan base. All he had to do, was negotiate the rest of the season, building on the foundations laid by Bruce and Bullen. 
That’s not Monk’s style though, as soon as he hit a sticky patch, all hell broke loose, with the manager quick to point the finger. 

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1