Summer clear out...but then what?

With so many players out of contract, in particular some high earners, we’ve been lauding this as a great thing for some time now and a chance to start afresh. 

Ive got to say however, do we have any faith whatsoever that this club is going to do any form of mass recruitment and actually get that right?

Clubs will know we have 0 strikers, so it’s likely our job in the market will be difficult. Clubs will ask for inflated fees and out of contract players will know of our desperation

If we still had Bruce, I’d be comforted knowing he would have a big say in the transfer dealings. But will Monk be afforded the same control? 

The issue starts at the top and I have no faith that our situation on the pitch will improve after a summer clear out, except for lowering our wage bill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They're are plenty of players out there.

Our recruitment criteria should be based similar to Wilders from four years ago - a player with hunger and desire, able to pass and control a ball at speed; move into decent positions for your team mate to pass; press the opposition - particularly your counterpart; work hard for 90 mins and work for you teammates.

This won't cost us a fortune and I'm sure we've got a half dozen or so already at the club.

New philosophy; player and culture is needed and we should be able to move forward.

With DC in charge, nothing good will come to our club. I have given him time, patience and benefit of the doubt. However, 5 years in and it's absolutely clear that he is a disaster. Change the manager and players, fine but nothing will change.  A change of ownership is vital now because this guy will take us to league 2. I'm sure of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

They're are plenty of players out there.

Our recruitment criteria should be based similar to Wilders from four years ago - a player with hunger and desire, able to pass and control a ball at speed; move into decent positions for your team mate to pass; press the opposition - particularly your counterpart; work hard for 90 mins and work for you teammates.

This won't cost us a fortune and I'm sure we've got a half dozen or so already at the club.

New philosophy; player and culture is needed and we should be able to move forward.

I totally agree, but does our owner and seemingly limited staff (no director of football etc) allow for this?

Ive seen nothing to suggest we’ve the right people at the club to make a success of this situation

It would absolutely not be a relief if we get relegated.  It would be a nightmare for us. 

In the summer, we will have the simple task of recruiting around 8-15 Championship (assuming we stay up) players, possibly with a transfer embargo imposed on us.

That’s a very tough ask.

Edited by Westfield Owl
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

In a way it could be a relief if we went down. The next transfer window is going to be a very difficult time for us, at least I hope we have a clearout as something's gotta be done and forcing our hand could be the only way for DC to wake up.

How so?

If we were any good at this we'd have a shortlist of players who will be out of contract and will have a process in place ready to go get them. Unfortunately based on our history we will inevitably leave it until the last minute and fill the gaps with loans and desperation signings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

How so?

We will be struggling very hard to even gather a squad to fight relegation next season, if we are under embargo and we need to ship out the big earners because of FFP restrictions and stuff. Relegation to League One would be a disaster, agreed, but I don't see positive outs of this mess we are in as a club and that could be the least painful route of rebuilding. Our owner/chairman/disneylander needs to wake up to the facts he is being presented both on and off the pitch.

I don't know..I'm just thinking aloud here.

Edited by FinnishOwl

Wait a sec.  Chansiri gave the fanbase a choice.  Keep paying megabucks for tickets and spend on challenging or cut ticket prices and cut outgoings accordingly.  We voted for the former.  He should dig deep with those funds that are being freed up and be ready to go again...

and get us up from League 1 as champions.

35 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

do we have any faith whatsoever that this club is going to do any form of mass recruitment and actually get that right?

Er no...

I've been banging on about the need to appoint a real footballing CEO and/or a Director of Football to people on here and elsewhere for the last four years. 

I could understand why people didn't see a problem when we were flying under Carlos, but even then the inherent lack of a footballing structure was always going to hold the club back eventually.

During our current abysmal run, many people seem to be looking back fondly at the football when Bruce was here. For me the product on the pitch wasn't all that exciting, but the things he began to put in place off it where exactly what this club (and any other) need. A full set of coaching staff and a recruitment team are the first things on the list... If it was up to the chairman we would have neither.

It would be entirely possible for the club to appoint the right people to help create a more sustainable structure themselves. However it would mean putting imminent promotion off the table and Chansiri relinquishing day to day control... IMO he won't be prepared to do either.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

It would absolutely not be a relief if we get relegated.  It would be a nightmare for us. 

In the summer, we will have the simple task of recruiting around 8-15 Championship (assuming we stay up) players, possibly with a transfer embargo imposed on us.

That’s a very tough ask.

Yep it is.

Of course we have a team working on this at the moment, making contact with players, speaking to agents and players, scouting Europe etc, its all in hand obviously....

• Haha 1