Westwood statement

In addition to Jos, Monk and James Gregg, Martin O’Neill also casted doubt over his attitude:

He said: “Keiren is Keiren. I’ve known him for some time and personally I think, as talent goes, he has enough to play in the Premier League. No question about that.

“I want him to have the enthusiasm and ambition to do so. But that’s up to him. I like Keiren but he’s in a wee world of his own.

“Westwood is a top-class goalkeeper, a real natural talent. To go to the very, very top, you need not to just have natural talent but also drive, determination and everything else.

“If he keeps himself properly fit and doesn’t sustain serious injuries then goalkeepers can go for a fairly lengthy time.

“He’s highly-thought-of at Sheffield Wednesday and why not? He’s done really well over the last couple of years there.

“I think it’s taken him a bit of time. I didn’t know Keiren as a 19-year-old or 20-year-old but I can imagine him being a really talented goalkeeper at that time.

“His kicking, he pings the ball all over the pitch. He can place 50-yard balls to people.

“He’s a really fine goalkeeper and he’s actually a really good lad but he needs moving.”

23 minutes ago, Lincowl said:

In addition to Jos, Monk and James Gregg, Martin O’Neill also casted doubt over his attitude:

He said: “Keiren is Keiren. I’ve known him for some time and personally I think, as talent goes, he has enough to play in the Premier League. No question about that.

“I want him to have the enthusiasm and ambition to do so. But that’s up to him. I like Keiren but he’s in a wee world of his own.

“Westwood is a top-class goalkeeper, a real natural talent. To go to the very, very top, you need not to just have natural talent but also drive, determination and everything else.

“If he keeps himself properly fit and doesn’t sustain serious injuries then goalkeepers can go for a fairly lengthy time.

“He’s highly-thought-of at Sheffield Wednesday and why not? He’s done really well over the last couple of years there.

“I think it’s taken him a bit of time. I didn’t know Keiren as a 19-year-old or 20-year-old but I can imagine him being a really talented goalkeeper at that time.

“His kicking, he pings the ball all over the pitch. He can place 50-yard balls to people.

“He’s a really fine goalkeeper and he’s actually a really good lad but he needs moving.”

Basically saying he's never achieved his full potential. He should have been Ireland's No1 but was too unreliable.

I thank him for his service at SWFC but his future is not here.

10 hours ago, Lincowl said:

...and a managers job it to motivate and get the best from their players

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

...and a managers job it to motivate and get the best from their players

Maybe they tried?

Westwood needs to be someone else's problem.

Not sure how though as he is earning pots of cash sat on his arse with another " injury":ph34r:

On 17/02/2020 at 10:31, Owlin' Wolf said:

8404B7A1-F2DB-4567-AA58-9DC56F4B1FF4.jpeg

3C622DD5-7E2D-408C-9321-FD6F3FAEBFD0.jpeg

MOD EDIT: Adding original tweet for additional context:

657A6F04-F602-4A8D-B165-4EB355773D60.jpeg

This  news story has been out there, shown in the Star and other papers, yet people are still slagging off our players on social media. If you say you are sick of hearing the boo boys or reading their negative whinining they just churn out more negativity and say they have a right to their opinions and paid their money so that they can boo and harangue players as much as they like. These people have no class! I personally have nothing to do with facebook or twitter because of the huge numbers of people who believe so strongly in their own nasty opinions and think everybody else has to listen to them, or read them. Thats the difference. These people do not understand, that they can have whatever opinions they like, but unless somebody asks for them specifically they should keep them to themselves. 

I really hope that none of our players take part in any social media now. Several players suspended their scial media accounts after the failed play off final including Carlos and if the players and managers have been receiving such lovely support from our so called fans, coupled with the booing, name calling and other vocal attacks from the stands, it ishardly surprising that the players confidence is so down and they are playing so badly. Some groups of our fans are disgusting. They really need to stop being fair weather supporters and if they cant stand the pressure, they should shut up or get out. Wednesday fans do not want any of you. We dont want to hear your nasty anti Wednesday comments, your boos or your cheap jibes about fans, players and managers that actually support their club through thick and thin. If you dont like it, get lost, because you are part of the problem!

2 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

This  news story has been out there, shown in the Star and other papers, yet people are still slagging off our players on social media. If you say you are sick of hearing the boo boys or reading their negative whinining they just churn out more negativity and say they have a right to their opinions and paid their money so that they can boo and harangue players as much as they like. These people have no class! I personally have nothing to do with facebook or twitter because of the huge numbers of people who believe so strongly in their own nasty opinions and think everybody else has to listen to them, or read them. Thats the difference. These people do not understand, that they can have whatever opinions they like, but unless somebody asks for them specifically they should keep them to themselves. 

I really hope that none of our players take part in any social media now. Several players suspended their scial media accounts after the failed play off final including Carlos and if the players and managers have been receiving such lovely support from our so called fans, coupled with the booing, name calling and other vocal attacks from the stands, it ishardly surprising that the players confidence is so down and they are playing so badly. Some groups of our fans are disgusting. They really need to stop being fair weather supporters and if they cant stand the pressure, they should shut up or get out. Wednesday fans do not want any of you. We dont want to hear your nasty anti Wednesday comments, your boos or your cheap jibes about fans, players and managers that actually support their club through thick and thin. If you dont like it, get lost, because you are part of the problem!

I see its all the fans fault Wednesday are dogshit at the moment.

Yes Wednesday have a small minority of fans who go a bit OTT after a few bad results but that's is no different from every other club.

Players get paid fortunes to deal with criticism. 
You cant really expect people to clap like seals after the embarrassing performances lately.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I don't go on social media and slag players off but I do sometimes vent my anger from the stands when the players are not giving their all, I also support the players when they do give their all, is this acceptable for you ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Watto said:

I don't go on social media and slag players off but I do sometimes vent my anger from the stands when the players are not giving their all, I also support the players when they do give their all, is this acceptable for you ?

Hey we all do that from time to time we are only human, but to vent hatred and anger towards certain individuals all the time is not a nice thing to see in anybody. Do you look around and wonder first if you are going to be upsetting other people around you, or are these ventings of anger part of a greater problem? I dont mind admitting that I have felt ashamed of myself sometimes, for some of the anger that I have vented at the ref, or at oppostion players. At one time it was more acceptable to do all that, but in these modern times and with greater awareness of how hatredon sovial media can affect players, haranguing individual players from the stands can tip players over the edge. Westwood has geen championed by loads of fans on here for bring such a strong character, but clearly by his own admission, he has had enough of our boo boys.

The thing is it is always an individuals choice, but if I am going to support my team through thick and thin I dont want to be stood next to somebody constantly slagging off Carlos, Jos, Bruce, Westwood, Dawson, Fox, Palmer, Iorfa, Lees, Borner, Pelupessy, Huchinson, Reach...... do you?

Edited by Ante's Bubbly

26 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Not sure that clapping like a seal or hurling abuse are the only two options here.

I'm sure a number of people are actually venting their frustrations probably with their own life (away from football) and directing it all at someone like a footballer for their club. 
That way 'its all your fault why im unhappy'. You can then continue to vent it at them until they do well (so in our case twice in 20+ years!) and revert to type when it goes to pot. 

Probably an unpopular opinion, but so be it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Hey we all do that from time to time we are only human, but to vent hatred and anger towards certain individuals all the time is not a nice thing to see in anybody. Do you look around and wonder first if you are going to be upsetting other people around you, or are these ventings of anger part of a greater problem? I dont mind admitting that I have felt ashamed of myself sometimes, for some of the anger that I have vented at the ref, or at oppostion players. At one time it was more acceptable to do all that, but in these modern times and with greater awareness of how hatredon sovial media can affect players, haranguing individual players from the stands can tip players over the edge. Westwood has geen championed by loads of fans on here for bring such a strong character, but clearly by his own admission, he has had enough of our boo boys.

The thing is it is always an individuals choice, but if I am going to support my team through thick and thin I dont want to be stood next to somebody constantly slagging off Carlos, Jos, Bruce, Westwood, Dawson, Fox, Palmer, Iorfa, Lees, Borner, Pelupessy, Huchinson, Reach...... do you?

No 

10 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I'm sure a number of people are actually venting their frustrations probably with their own life (away from football) and directing it all at someone like a footballer for their club. 
That way 'its all your fault why im unhappy'. You can then continue to vent it at them until they do well (so in our case twice in 20+ years!) and revert to type when it goes to pot. 

Probably an unpopular opinion, but so be it. 

Like I said earlier, I've felt ashamed occasionally after losing my temper and venting it at the match and sometimes afterwards realised that I was already wound up about things that were nothing to do with the football, like you say, the footie was just a outlet for it. I still give it to the ref every now and then, but good grief there are fewer and fewer good refs these days!

lol

• Like 1

Just now, Ante's Bubbly said:

Like I said earlier, I've felt ashamed occasionally after losing my temper and venting it at the match and sometimes afterwards realised that I was already wound up about things that were nothing to do with the football, like you say, the footie was just a outlet for it. I still give it to the ref every now and then, but good grief there are fewer and fewer good refs these days!

lol

Oh yes we all need a good 'GET A REAL JOB!!!' vent at a ref or two! :biggrin:

12 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Slagging people off for giving their opinions on social media whilst doing exactly the same yourself...........priceless 

unless of course you can show us where you were asked for yours