Westwood statement

i just despair at the abuse of freedom social media facilitates.......

So many people feel that can say what they want without a second thought to the implications.

Its an absolute disgrace that the government and social media companies have not policed this system.

Too many people simply cannot differentiate between freedom of speech and hate.

Edited by Morepork
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Statement just made the news headlines on TalkSport (not much Prem on for them to get excited about). Basically they said SWFC fans are effecting Westwood’s mental health with their constant trolling. 

https://twitter.com/WestwoodKeiren/status/1229349583580487680

Doesn't seem a million miles away.

3 minutes ago, Morepork said:

So many people feel that can say what they want without a second thought to the implications.

Its an absolute disgrace that the government and social media companies have not policed this system.

I honestly don't see how you can police it, what you find offensive someone else would see it as reasonable and vice versa, but I agree with your sentiments.

3 hours ago, Nero said:

So you're basically quoting a rumour that you have no idea if is true or not and half the fanbase is then agreeing with you.

Have you not read or do you not understand what Westwood is saying?

In my post I made clear it was a rumour and said that "I could believe it". I in no way suggested it was true, nor tried to rationalise it as anything other than fact and conjecture... merely my own personal opinion that I "can believe it".

To be honest mate, it sounds like you have more of a problem with the rest of Owlstalk deciding it's definitely what happened, rather than me openly admitting that they're rumours I just happened to think could be how things went down lol

11 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I honestly don't see how you can police it, what you find offensive someone else would see it as reasonable and vice versa, but I agree with your sentiments.

I know what you mean by that but there is still plenty of stuff that crosses a very clear line.

28 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Or it could be that they can differentiate and know exactly what they’re doing. 

8 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

In my post I made clear it was a rumour and said that "I could believe it". I in no way suggested it was true, nor tried to rationalise it as anything other than fact and conjecture... merely my own personal opinion that I "can believe it".

To be honest mate, it sounds like you have more of a problem with the rest of Owlstalk deciding it's definitely what happened, rather than me openly admitting that they're rumours I just happened to think could be how things went down lol

So you tell everyone you could believe it but this is in no way suggesting that it's true.... oops 

You dont see that this is the whole problem. Deciding you believe something about somebody based on rumour and not knowledge and then publicly posting this opinion about them is wrong. Sorry.

I'm not blaming you personally. We all have been doing it to differing degrees. It's just not right to do it about individuals who then have to deal with it on a day to day basis. Its bound to affect people and we should take more personal responsibility.

I'm starting with the man in the mirror...

1 hour ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Statement just made the news headlines on TalkSport (not much Prem on for them to get excited about). Basically they said SWFC fans are effecting Westwood’s mental health with their constant trolling.

If anything is going to effect your mental health, it's listening to TalkSport. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BIG D said:

Did you also trust Jos?

It’s a good question. I thought Jos was out of his depth from the start, not really a question of trust.

IMO Monk has the potential to be a good manager for us but we have to back him and give him time. At the moment, he’s got a gun against his head in the sense that he’s trying to turn us around on the field but with lots of poo going on off it eg FFP.

He’s trying to remain calm while all around him are losing their heads!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

It’s a good question. I thought Jos was out of his depth from the start, not really a question of trust.

IMO Monk has the potential to be a good manager for us but we have to back him and give him time. At the moment, he’s got a gun against his head in the sense that he’s trying to turn us around on the field but with lots of poo going on off it eg FFP.

He’s trying to remain calm while all around him are losing their heads!

He probably doesn’t know what’s going on. 

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

Genuinely heartbroken reading this statement 

Westwood is one of the few genuinely class players we’ve had since the premiership days and his record speaks for itself. 

One of the reasons I fork out £640 a year for a season ticket is to see genuine quality like him who has that edge not to see a young pretender who whilst a nice lad and decent shot stopper will never be in the same league

34 is also no age for a keeper and we’re living to regret this decision already 

Gutted

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

Totally agree.

The only social media I do is OT because this is very occasionally informative and sometimes makes me laugh.

Posts are also sometimes unpleasant or gossip and can be personally targeted.

Our own house(s) in order first?

In this case I think it's correct and fair to take statements, in this sort of situation, from individuals at face value and to credit the person making them with honest intent.

Edited by Rev Owl

10 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

My total guess

It’s above being Monk’s choice. 

Westwood is now on a list with Abdi, Hutchinson, Hirst Jnr, probably Rhodes too. 

I think all the debate of Monk vs whoever, Jos vs whoever is sort of pointless if it’s all above their heads. 

(Ps. I’m not sure what is classed as making rumours, guesswork or speculation... but that’s my opinion). 

No no no it all started when Westwood shagged Abdi's wife's poodle or summat..dirty ba

Looks like a sad end for a genuinely great player the best keeper we’ve had since hodge. He was terrific in his first three seasons especially the first his performance that season against Norwich was the best goalkeeping performance I’ve ever seen with half a dozen world class saves that drew audible gasps of amazement from the crowd. I for one will always remember him as a top class player who would have graced any Wednesday team I’ve ever seen including the early 90 s  teams