Westwood statement

2 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Anyone else think the statement has been made so that it doesn’t appear he’s a disruptive influence on a dressing room? That way any new club will take that into account. I just find it odd that the same players frozen out by Jos are frozen out by Monk.

Or just 2 terrible managers who misread the room & performances and results plummeted. 

15 hours ago, mrrodge said:

I will never understand players being told they aren't part of a managers plans especially when under contract.

It definitely limits the manager in terms of selection but I think it’s better for the player to know. Wouldn’t you like to know? I know that I would. 

Guest Bulgaria
5 hours ago, Maxine said:

Good on him for clearing it up. 

Shame Monk won't play such a brilliant keeper. 

It's rather difficult to select someone who keeps telling you he ain't fit.

Good job Dawson is available otherwise we would be in a proper mess.

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Is that fact or just more of the same kind of rumour that led to the statement?

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

He isn't fit, I didn't know that. 

Not read 31 pages (I've read two) but there could be a perfectly logical, reasoned, contractual explanation for the whole thing.

Westwood signed a new contract in the summer, naive to think this only extended his term... it might also have refinanced his salary... shift its from all base salary to (equivalent of) 70% base salary, 35% appearance fee - thus slightly increasing his overall package IF he plays (makes sense as you need two decent keepers but don't want to have them both on full whack), saves Wednesday a decent chunk if he doesn't. SWFC towing the line in terms of financial fair play, Westwood not at his best, decision made to play Dawson on a third (I'm guessing) of Westwoods salary to lower the wage bill so we can turn to the FL and say 'look, we're trying here'. Is Dawson a third of the keeper Westwood is? Open to debate but if Monk is brought in with a view to working within a constrained budget (like at Birmingham) then a high cost keeper is arguably the most in danger player in the squad. Honest conversation had been Manager and playey and attempts made to engineer a January departure, but they don't come to pass for whatever reason.

No personal malice, no falling out, no need to bash any player / non playing personnel.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, REDAs_biG_piECE said:

Genuinely heartbroken reading this statement 

Westwood is one of the few genuinely class players we’ve had since the premiership days and his record speaks for itself. 

One of the reasons I fork out £640 a year for a season ticket is to see genuine quality like him who has that edge not to see a young pretender who whilst a nice lad and decent shot stopper will never be in the same league

34 is also no age for a keeper and we’re living to regret this decision already 

Gutted

That's it in a nutshell, we fans are paying premiership prices to allegedly watch watch quality players and promotion chasing teams, which is a complete joke.

Chansiri want reporting to tradeing standards because its false advertising, mind it wouldn't be the first time his false advertising got us in trouble.

Edited by Blue and white

1 hour ago, Binky Griptite said:

Not read 31 pages (I've read two) but there could be a perfectly logical, reasoned, contractual explanation for the whole thing.

Westwood signed a new contract in the summer, naive to think this only extended his term... it might also have refinanced his salary... shift its from all base salary to (equivalent of) 70% base salary, 35% appearance fee - thus slightly increasing his overall package IF he plays (makes sense as you need two decent keepers but don't want to have them both on full whack), saves Wednesday a decent chunk if he doesn't. SWFC towing the line in terms of financial fair play, Westwood not at his best, decision made to play Dawson on a third (I'm guessing) of Westwoods salary to lower the wage bill so we can turn to the FL and say 'look, we're trying here'. Is Dawson a third of the keeper Westwood is? Open to debate but if Monk is brought in with a view to working within a constrained budget (like at Birmingham) then a high cost keeper is arguably the most in danger player in the squad. Honest conversation had been Manager and playey and attempts made to engineer a January departure, but they don't come to pass for whatever reason.

No personal malice, no falling out, no need to bash any player / non playing personnel.

It's a 'possibility' however the burning question would be why, a club who was not in a particularly good state financially would offer one of it's highest earners a new contract.

It's the responsibility of those running the club to ensure that funds are in place to honor contracts, operational costs etc.... If you cannot afford to pay your employees, then it's a pretty basic oversight all things considered. 

I'd also add that if we are probably going to get clouted with a fine and points deduction, does it not make more sense to think 'sod it', play the best time and take the hit? I'm not hammering any other players here, but it makes sense to be sending your best 11 out if available to play when you're not having the best run of form. 

Questions need to be asked at the top of the club, the fans have given their commitment time and time again with the promise of having the best players on the pitch by paying the highest prices. This was what DC pitched to the fans and now after 3 seasons of stagnation, we're expected to swallow that he made a balls of it. 

All this does is disconnect the fans from the club further than what it already is, and doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. 

Past events would allude me to believe that dissenting voices won't exactly be welcomed on the subject. 

Guest Bulgaria
3 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Monk stated that Westwood decides when he is fit for selection.  Westwood dictates when he is available

Edited by Bulgaria

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, Grandad said:

Is that fact or just more of the same kind of rumour that led to the statement?

Monk stated that Westwood decides when he is fit for selection.  Westwood dictates when he is available

9 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Monk stated that Westwood decides when he is fit for selection.  Westwood dictates when he is available

Don't all players do that?

2 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

Why than would you not have that player on the bench? No appearance fee and a known quality replacement should an injury occur.

Guest Bulgaria
4 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Don't all players do that?

This imo is what's happened..

Westwood injured his shoulder I believe before Xmas... Monk wanted him playing and thought he should be available.

Westwood had Xmas off, to monks anger, then when he returned, told Westwood what he thought and told him Dawson was now the number one. This has pissed off Westwood and Hutchinson chimed in.

Monk doesn't want them dictating things.

I agree with Monk.

11 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Statement just made the news headlines on TalkSport (not much Prem on for them to get excited about). Basically they said SWFC fans are effecting Westwood’s mental health with their constant trolling. 

Simple solution - either don’t read it or turn your comments off. Easy to jump on the Mental health bandwagon at this time.

Edited by 83owl

22 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Simple solution - either don’t read it or turn your comments off. Easy to jump on the Mental health bandwagon at this time.

He’s affecting the fans’ mental health by not saying he’s fighting for his shirt ! 

53 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

This imo is what's happened..

Westwood injured his shoulder I believe before Xmas... Monk wanted him playing and thought he should be available.

Westwood had Xmas off, to monks anger, then when he returned, told Westwood what he thought and told him Dawson was now the number one. This has pissed off Westwood and Hutchinson chimed in.

Monk doesn't want them dictating things.

I agree with Monk.

I see. And I guess that youre happy to take a stand - even though since Christmas weve W1 D2 L7 and conceded 18?

You don't think he should change anything? Or should he just make wholesale changes to all 10 other positions (as he has?)

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Why not on the bench then Keiren? Whiffs of BS to me 

what if hes been told by Monk that he doesnt want him on the bench?