Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

2 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Concerning IMO.

Ok our first XI is fine, not brilliant but about average at this level.

But our bench today was weak; Wildsmith, Palmer, Shaw, Hunt, Dele-Bashiru, Reach, Kachunga.

Nothing against those players and I’m sure most of them will have a part to play this season.  But that’s the standard of player you’d expect a League One club to have on their bench.

Not sure enough quality in depth.

And with league fixtures coming thick and fast throughout autumn, it will be those teams that don’t have decent rotation options in reserve that will come unstuck once the 3-game-weeks kick in.

Disagree with the bench been league one subs standard,  I’d argue every single one of them would start week in week out at majority of league one clubs 

6 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Concerning IMO.

Ok our first XI is fine, not brilliant but about average at this level.

But our bench today was weak; Wildsmith, Palmer, Shaw, Hunt, Dele-Bashiru, Reach, Kachunga.

Nothing against those players and I’m sure most of them will have a part to play this season.  But that’s the standard of player you’d expect a League One club to have on their bench.

Not sure enough quality in depth.

And with league fixtures coming thick and fast throughout autumn, it will be those teams that don’t have decent rotation options in reserve that will come unstuck once the 3-game-weeks kick in.

You would expect league one clubs to have Adam Reach on their bench.

WTF:

30 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

You would expect league one clubs to have Adam Reach on their bench.

Not Reach, no.  He does have pedigree in the Championship, so that’s an oversight on my part.  Although he’s a player totally lacking any kind of form for a long time now.

4 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Disagree with the bench been league one subs standard,  I’d argue every single one of them would start week in week out at majority of league one clubs 

Well I’m not going to start tearing strips off our players after 2 league games into the season.

But put it this way, from mid-October to early-November we have 7 league games in 3 weeks.  And from mid-November to 2nd January we have 12 league games in 6 weeks.

Having strength in reserve is going to be key this season.

Do you think honestly think the squad we have now has enough quality in depth to negotiate its way through that gruelling fixture list?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Not Reach, no.  He does have pedigree in the Championship, so that’s an oversight on my part.  Although he’s a player totally lacking any kind of form for a long time now.

Well I’m not going to start tearing strips off our players after 2 league games into the season.

But put it this way, from mid-October to early-November we have 7 league games in 3 weeks.  And from mid-November to 2nd January we have 12 league games in 6 weeks.

Having strength in reserve is going to be key this season.

Do you think honestly think the squad we have now has enough quality in depth to negotiate its way through that gruelling fixture list?

Agree we need loads more... especially the way monk has them pressing .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Nope, still without a club.

Just shows, all these players that people said should be playing can't even get a club on a .free

Plus he’s known since January that he needed to find a new club.

Think hutch is in the same boat as lots of players. But he was probably on better money than many of them ( so being faced with a bigger cut) and clubs will be even more wary of his injury/ discipline issues than previously. Shame because a fully fit hutch is a bloody good player. 

• Like 1

Birmingham City are close to securing the signing of experienced and versatile Spain international Mikel San Jose, according to BBC West Midlands reporter Richard Wilford.

San Jose is currently a free agent after leaving Athletic Bilbao after a decade with the Spanish side where he managed to make over 300 appearances. The 31-year-old has been a key player for the Spanish club throughout his time there, but he was limited to just nine appearances in the league last campaign.

The one time Spain international has the ability to play both as a central defensive midfielder and as a centre-back, which would make him a potentially ideal option for the Blues to provide extra depth and quality in two key areas of their squad.

5 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Sheffield Wednesday remain interested in doing a loan deal for Kenneth Zohore this summer, but it’s emerged that West Brom have slapped an £8m fee on the striker’s head in a bid to raise funds. (The Athletic)

time we move on from this imo. We need someone in ASAP and it seems this is just going to drag on and on. 

• Like 1

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

time we move on from this imo. We need someone in ASAP and it seems this is just going to drag on and on. 

Exactly, it would undo all the sensible work if we desperately splashed the cash on another striker who looked good a few years ago. I'd personally hope we'd be smarter and go for someone on the rise with resale value or make a canny loan signing or seeked out a bargain from abroad or something. We look much improved and only need 3 or 4 more decent signings, an extra bit of quality would compliment our new work ethic and energy in the team. I hope we make more smart signings like Brown and Windass, we don't have to break the bank it would be reckless to do so again, when this season looks like we have built a solid platform to build from for the future. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

It seems we have a bit of money to spend, Leko bid, reports we where willing to buy Zohore. Surely we can get someone half decent in up top. Someone like Bonne or Jutkiewicz would be massive improvements imo. 

If we have something to spend, then it needs to be used smartly for around 3 quality players, not splashed out on one signing. Someone like Bonne or similar would offer better value for money with resale value, I hope that will remain our direction, the likes of Sanderson look promising too. There is better value out there, we have showed we can find bargains and make smart signings recently. 

• Like 2