Interview

Just now, NeonLeon said:

I also don’t think a manager puts out that formation tonight and tells them to play the way they did.

He’s backed them from a lack of confidence point of view tonight. Played all our creative options and put them in a system where they can express themselves. The FF at wing back debate was largely just defensive shape, and he was more than likely given the freedom to go wherever he wanted down that left side when we had the ball, with Palmer tucking in on the opposite side. 

It’s the players that have then reverted to going long and playing within themselves. Monk can’t do a great deal to stop a lot of what’s wrong in this squad without overhauling it. It’s deep set in their mentality to down tools when the going gets tough, it has been for years! 

Monk looks like he’s at the point where he’s offered them literally everything a manager can offer. He’s brought new faces in and flexed his systems to suit individuals. He’s even sacrificed elements of our game defensively that he’d busted his b*llocks on at the start to try and find goals in the team. 

I don’t think anyone could do any better

Players don't like him. Has a history of falling out with them at other sides. The fact they aren't up to standard either just adds to the problem.

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

I posted in the line up thread before the game that the switch to three at the back looked like a desperate measure.

It proved to be that as clearly we haven’t spent much time working on it.

Iorfa will be tried up front next game at this rate.

I’m not sure what he or any other manager can do with this bunch of players. Not an ounce of decency any of them.

Not helped by the fact our chairman has clearly adopted the North Korean management style and is completely ambivalent to what’s going on around him.

I'm done with this lot, took 45 years to break me but I’m done.

Just now, sMacLean said:

Players don't like him. Has a history of falling out with them at other sides. The fact they aren't up to standard either just adds to the problem.

Players didn’t like Megson but he got us to 3rd in the league and they ran through walls for him. Even teams that win leagues won’t have squads where a 100% of the players like the manager. 

It’s about self pride and this team has less than none. 

Similar to Jos, because he’s not a likeable personality like Carlos or Bruce, people have automatically assumed he’s getting people’s backs up. He’s said what the fan base have been saying for years and now the fan base is hammering him for saying it. You couldn’t make it up! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trevdi9 said:

voice of reason again Paul ,;)

Let’s be honest - the players have been a disgrace throughout all this.

I’d be loathe to sack Monk, regardless of his abilities - if only because the players would have won again.

I applauded Monk for calling the players out. Most players, with some professional self respect, would have reacted to that.

But they went on strike instead.

They shouldn’t be rewarded for that. 

In the current context - the Chairman has to stand by the manager. Or, he won’t have a Club left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

I also don’t think a manager puts out that formation tonight and tells them to play the way they did.

He’s backed them from a lack of confidence point of view tonight. Played all our creative options and put them in a system where they can express themselves. The FF at wing back debate was largely just defensive shape, and he was more than likely given the freedom to go wherever he wanted down that left side when we had the ball, with Palmer tucking in on the opposite side. 

It’s the players that have then reverted to going long and playing within themselves. Monk can’t do a great deal to stop a lot of what’s wrong in this squad without overhauling it. It’s deep set in their mentality to down tools when the going gets tough, it has been for years! 

Monk looks like he’s at the point where he’s offered them literally everything a manager can offer. He’s brought new faces in and flexed his systems to suit individuals. He’s even sacrificed elements of our game defensively that he’d busted his b*llocks on at the start to try and find goals in the team. 

I don’t think anyone could do any better

Perfect!

The part about the players hits the nail on the head; the vast majority of these players are serial losers, as we’ve seen the last 4 and a half seasons. No bottle, mentally weak set of players.

I backed the nucleus recently, but even the summer signings look to have gone the same flippin’ way!

I’d be happy to see EVERY player leave our football club this summer, every single one of them.

Just now, ReadingOwl said:

I’d be loathe to sack Monk, regardless of his abilities - if only because the players would have won again.

I applauded Monk for calling the players out. Most players, with some professional self respect, would have reacted to that.

In the current context - the Chairman has to stand by the manager. Or, he won’t have a Club left.

Totally agree.

But I feel like alot of the fan reaction has been ‘Yeah they’re sh*t, but you weren’t supposed to say they were THAT sh*t! You’ve hurt their feelings now! So you’re going to have to leave.’

The backlash to the manager finally cutting through the BS at S6 has been pretty demoralising. People have been asking for honesty, then have cried when it isn’t what they wanted to hear. 

• Thanks 1

The last two selections have smacked of a man out of ideas and just throwing sh*t at the wall in a vague hope that things work. 

Alarm bells should always start ringing when a manager starts experimenting with formations outside of his wheelhouse. 

Monk is a 4-4-2/4-5-1 manager who wants to play a rigid, defensive system of play. 

Against Barnsley he has about six strikers/forwards on the pitch at once and today he tried to play 3-5-2 for the hell of it. 

Complete desperation. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

But changing formations and players and playing the same direct hoofball. the one thing he needs to change he isnt, get the ball on the floor and use our wingers as we did when we started the season, get bannan further up the field rather than getting him and defenders to punt it forward.

Jokingly i said when we saw the formation i look forward to us bypassign 5 players instead of 3 or 4, it happened again. we nullify our own best players.

I honestly don’t believe Monk has selected that 11 tonight and asked them to play the way they did.

They’ve downed their tools and/or playing within themselves because they’ve not got the mentality to play the way the manager has asked.

There is not much a manager can do about that; until the summer when most of the bottlers in the squad can be shipped out.

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

But changing formations and players and playing the same direct hoofball. the one thing he needs to change he isnt, get the ball on the floor and use our wingers as we did when we started the season, get bannan further up the field rather than getting him and defenders to punt it forward.

Jokingly i said when we saw the formation i look forward to us bypassign 5 players instead of 3 or 4, it happened again. we nullify our own best players.

But I think he’s set us up to play balls into the channels, utilising said wingers.

The problem is the players seem unable to play quickly enough for it to be effective. And, in games like tonight, they just revert to aimless long balls. 

It’s naive to think a manager would try the systems Monk has, but then told them to play direct to a lone striker. Because, if he has, they aren’t even capable of that at the minute.

2 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

i will also add it isnt a coincidence our best footballer Bannan is having his worst season by far playing this style of football. hes getting some stick for his form but the way we play under Monk he might as well sit in the stands with us and thats not his fault.

Nonsense.

He’s the biggest culprit for stifling our ability to move up the pitch quickly. 

If anything he’s a reason why Monk’s system isn’t having any success.

Edited by NeonLeon

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

Totally agree.

But I feel like alot of the fan reaction has been ‘Yeah they’re sh*t, but you weren’t supposed to say they were THAT sh*t! You’ve hurt their feelings now! So you’re going to have to leave.’

The backlash to the manager finally cutting through the BS at S6 has been pretty demoralising. People have been asking for honesty, then have cried when it isn’t what they wanted to hear. 

Any manager, can only function with the support and backing of his Chairman.

If push comes to shove - Monk will get the push. It’s the easiest short term solution.

He knows it and the players know it.

This Club has form - and at sometime, it has to stop.

Strong leadership is what is required. And, the Club doesn’t have it I’m afraid.

Monk will get pushed under the bus - another patsy. But in the current climate, I’m not sure that is for the best.

No particular sympathy either way for Monk -  but we can’t carry on like this.

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Perfect!

The part about the players hits the nail on the head; the vast majority of these players are serial losers, as we’ve seen the last 4 and a half seasons. No bottle, mentally weak set of players.

I backed the nucleus recently, but even the summer signings look to have gone the same flippin’ way!

I’d be happy to see EVERY player leave our football club this summer, every single one of them.

The culture created by Carlos gave too much power to senior players, the club operated like a country club.

Successive managers have tried to change the culture, always the same players who are dropped, thereafter performances by certain other senior and otherwise key players dip, maybe because their mates arent playing. 

It only takes a few to slack off and the team as a collective fails. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I am with you mate as I said voice of reason 

He sounds a broken man in that interview, he's tried all he can and the players either aren't able to respond or don't want to respond in the way he is asking. 

I was on the fence before tonight I will add, I've defended him and keeping him on as I thought he might be able to turn things around. But after hearing that, he needs to be booted because he clearly has run out of ideas to get us out of this rut.