Interview

4 hours ago, sMacLean said:

Players don't like him. Has a history of falling out with them at other sides. The fact they aren't up to standard either just adds to the problem.

Reeks of the Jos Luhukay era - too many coincidences. The culture is rotten for me, the quicker the likes of Westwood and Hutchinson are shipped out the better. Bring in more players like Windsss, hungry young and a point to prove.  

He took on a team that he’s seen doing ok. At pre season they all looked fitter than pre Bruce.

But the reality is that most of this squad was a 2016 gamble, one where bringing in experienced players would carry them through. In the final we were marginally outplayed and Hull scored a wonder goal. The following year we ground out results and lost to a very ordinary Huddersfield. Last season it had gone from their heads and legs, they all knew they hadn’t got anything left in the tanks.

I’m not blaming the players, they just got too old together, all of them.

What has now happened is clear for any businessman to see. There is no culture of success here. DC has never been a success in, his father set up the tuna business. If he was smart he’d have bought Leeds at the time. A big successful city with just one team of interesting misfits. In other words, he didn’t do his homework. He still doesn’t do his homework.

This squad has gone and it’s almost cruel to watch them. I haven’t seen one midfield this season that I wouldn’t swap with ours. We don’t have one. We used to be rock solid at the back, 17 clean sheets. We had 6 or 7 players chipping in with goals, we miss Fletcher now.

This isn’t Monk’s fault and a more aggressive manager couldn’t squeeze any more juice out of this lemon. Iorfa and Börner looked great at the back, now every touch puts them under pressure.

DC has lurched from bad signing to bad signing...embargo and crisis to ghost appointments. He got lucky with CC but from then on he’s got it wrong. Nothing has gone right. From tickets to facilities, from crowd management to crazy long term offers, he sees the supporters as fools to be milked. The formula is simple in football; build from a long term goal that everyone gets behind, communicate it well, update everyone and make sure any new signings sign up for it. Right now, players with contracts to provide a service are withholding that service from their employer...I could fix that conundrum in one conversation.

This club is in trouble and it will take a long time to recover...I’m now not sure I want to invest my time or money (or wellbeing) into a club I’ve supported and watched for 50 years. See you all on Saturday (probably).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, manicowl said:

Jaysus. Just watched it. He's done. He looked like he was going to start crying. Looked like a supply teacher who can't control the kids.

I thought he had just been crying, eyes red, looking off into the distance. Looks a broken man.   

7 hours ago, davey_wells said:

That is classic 'last interview'.

There is clearly a real divide between him and the players and he's run out of ideas, player options and is now relying on hope alone a that things are going to improve.

And in fairness, losing - and performing - like we are doing recently against severely poor teams when you're SWFC with all our resources and expectations simply isnt good enough - nor should we accept it either.

If you have a chairman that spots the signs...........

Personally I feel sorry for Monk, our club is not a nice one to be at these days. And that’s one person’s fault. 

we’ve got into a situation where the owner, manager and players aren’t good enough. Not exactly a recipe for success.

The only way this gets fixed is when Chansiri sells us and we offload as many players as possible and start again.  Until then it’s Groundhog Day 

8 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Maybe if he had mor eideas than route one direct football the players might have a chance? it hasnt worked since Fletcher was out, yet here we are nearly 3 months on, trying the same thing every game, we bypassed a 5 man midfield today, and i predicted it before kick off. nothing changes, hes a one trick pony and the pony needs putting down

We ended up bypassing a 5 man midfield, only because once again, even with 5 we were out muscled, out fought, tried to pass the ball through players, gave away possession far too easily, didn't give ourselves a chance. Our defenders defended like forwards. All their chances could and should have been dealt with but stupid individual errors have cost us again. There is no excuse for players not doing their basic job. We can't keep giving the opposition the initiative. I feel a bit for Monk because he has no control over that. He set up to go for all out attack and we should have had them pinned in their own half with that set up.

The ref was crap again but that is no excuse.

Every Luton player worked his arse off. Every Wednesday players didn't.

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The core of the squad worked hard for Megson because they had a belief in what he was doing for a good while. That fell down when results went downhill and the style looked dated and one-dimensional, Dave Jones got the same squad, albeit with the important addition of Antonio, playing far better football.

Tell me about how playing Forestieri at left-wing-back is meant to inspire and instill belief into the players.

I think that there is something in that but a bigger factor for me is that Megson signed players with that character and desire. Monk hasn't inherited that type of squad like Jones did from Megson

I'm not sure that Monk is the right person to take us forward but I'd love it if the fans sing his same loudly on Saturday. He is obviously working hard to turn this around and care about his job. The players on the other hand are the opposite. It would be so good if the fans sent a message of support to the manager. He has come into the job at the worst possible time. Someone is going to have to sort out this squad and he has pulled the short straw.

7 hours ago, MASSIVE_WEDNESDAY said:

He's a broken man who knows that he cannot continue the job. Statements like "We can talk about the game but its the overall picture isnt it.."  and "You'll have to ask the players"

Highly influential troublemakers causing problems. Certain players have more influence on this team than the manager does and he knows that so did Jos. Its too far gone and its happened too many times in the past. They are a disgrace to the club and fans should stop cheering for them and call them out. 

Spot on. Unfortunately if Monk goes Bullen will be caretaker again & probably bring the influential troublemakers back into the side. We'll win a couple of matches & the troublemakers will have won the day again.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
9 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

That looks and sounds like a manager who wants to be sacked to me. 

You can see he has given up, and some want to give him more time, he doesnt give a fizz

Problem is DC will not sack him. We know this. Lose on Saturday against Reading and he needs to hear ‘We want Monk out’ then hopefully he’ll walk!

Think he will be gone, DC won’t like the talk of ruling play offs out , which in fairness I agree with Monk about but the owner won’t 

He’s never really fell out with a manager, Carlos left on good terms , Jos there wasn’t a huge fall out , Bruce was obviously a bit different 

Think this time he actually falls out with the manager, who will he turn to though that’s the question 

Might be Carlos, do we absolutely go back to basics and give it Megson and just let him build from bottom up ?  One thing you will get from GM is 110% graft and not many know this club inside and out better than him, maybe he could get Howard Wilkinson to help the owner out as well