Interview

Just now, 2roland2 said:

You dont? well hes played that way since he got here, same direct style to big centre forward. nothing changed tonight game plan wise, we just had a different formation and bypassed more players.  

Tonight was just aimless balls forward. Previously the style, albeit direct, had method and a plan, which made the most of the wide men too, and that was clear to see and had us 3rd in the league with some impressive results.

Jeez he looks like he’s about to start crying. I’m gutted I really am with what’s happening. When he got asked the question are the players trying and he couldn’t say yes due to them maybe not been here next season makes my blood boil.

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

yes because hes playing too deep, and if hes further up the field its going over him, as i said bannan can not play and shouldnt be selected if we play this style, and monk aint changing it.

He will stiffle our play if he continues to play as he is in this game plan

It’s him that’s playing the vast majority of the balls that would go over him if he was further up the pitch.

We’re set up to counter attack teams using the wide players. We haven’t got the players to play through the midfield, our central midfielders (Luongo aside) are too ponderous. So there’s literally no point in not bypassing them most of the time if we want to break quickly. The fact they are so ponderous also hinders us when teams sit in against us. Until we sign more midfielders with drive like Luongo we’ll struggle to break team down. There’s literally no creativity or cutting edge in our midfield, and Monk can’t remedy that in one January window. 

Just now, Minton said:

He sounds a broken man in that interview, he's tried all he can and the players either aren't able to respond or don't want to respond in the way he is asking. 

I was on the fence before tonight I will add, I've defended him and keeping him on as I thought he might be able to turn things around. But after hearing that, he needs to be booted because he clearly has run out of ideas to get us out of this rut.

I also think Bully needs to go with him. He's managed to avoid all previous managerial culls but as assistant coach he must share blame for the tactics. The poor culture engendered within the club, of which he has been part for so long, needs to be addressed and that requires new ideas and a new mindset.

but that was when fletcher was in the form of his life, its clear to see without fletcher we cant do that it isnt working yet nearly 3 months on and we still do the same things.

Monk has no plan B, its ok whilst it was working but when you lose the player that style focuses on and we dont have anyone to repalce him then you have to change it up. Monk hasnt, thats why we are where we are now.

That was the beginning to the current slump.  After he was injured the midfield and wingers were looking for a focal point up front and found nothing there..So the frustration just spread through the team.  And yea we had no plan B after that.

24 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Players didn’t like Megson but he got us to 3rd in the league and they ran through walls for him. Even teams that win leagues won’t have squads where a 100% of the players like the manager. 

It’s about self pride and this team has less than none. 

Similar to Jos, because he’s not a likeable personality like Carlos or Bruce, people have automatically assumed he’s getting people’s backs up. He’s said what the fan base have been saying for years and now the fan base is hammering him for saying it. You couldn’t make it up! 

Which players were they? 

Seem to remember Madine running to him after he scored at the lane and same with Cog.

Rob Jones too.

but that was when fletcher was in the form of his life, its clear to see without fletcher we cant do that it isnt working yet nearly 3 months on and we still do the same things.

Monk has no plan B, its ok whilst it was working but when you lose the player that style focuses on and we dont have anyone to repalce him then you have to change it up. Monk hasnt, thats why we are where we are now.

Not many managers at this level have a brilliant plan B though, especially ones who’ve had no pre-season with the players and has had to play with a squad of players who can’t handle pressure. If Monk did, he wouldn’t be anywhere near our club!

There is a common denominator here the past 3 years of failure and it’s not Garry Monk.

5 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

It’s him that’s playing the vast majority of the balls that would go over him if he was further up the pitch.

We’re set up to counter attack teams using the wide players. We haven’t got the players to play through the midfield, our central midfielders (Luongo aside) are too ponderous. So there’s literally no point in not bypassing them most of the time if we want to break quickly. The fact they are so ponderous also hinders us when teams sit in against us. Until we sign more midfielders with drive like Luongo we’ll struggle to break team down. There’s literally no creativity or cutting edge in our midfield, and Monk can’t remedy that in one January window. 

Set up to counter attack?

No we aren't, we don't catch team out quickly on the break. Blackburn didn't sit in against us, they pressed us high and we couldn't get out of our own half. Tonight our 'wide' players were Palmer and Forestieri, how's that for playing on the counter attack? Previously we have had Harris & Murphy wide at times but you can't counter attack if your strikers are not mobile and your wide players aren't regular goal scorers. 

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

Which players were they? 

Seem to remember Madine running to him after he scored at the lane and same with Cog.

Rob Jones too.

I’d imagine Fox and Dawson are pretty big fans of Monk too at the minute.

I’m not saying the entire squad disliked Megson, but the stories from players there at the time suggest his methods rubbed a lot up the wrong way. 

8 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Imo the only way Monk leaves is if he walks. We all know how slow DC is to act. Things will have to get a lot worse first. 

I think he’ll get the sack personally. It’s too far gone now.

Short term gain - is how the Chairman will look at it.

But long term pain, in my opinion.

Who’s to say who is right?

It’s not a science.

3 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Let’s be honest - the players have been a disgrace throughout all this.

I’d be loathe to sack Monk, regardless of his abilities - if only because the players would have won again.

I applauded Monk for calling the players out. Most players, with some professional self respect, would have reacted to that.

But they went on strike instead.

They shouldn’t be rewarded for that. 

In the current context - the Chairman has to stand by the manager. Or, he won’t have a Club left.

Exactly.

Many people thought Wilder was playing a dangerous game when he hung, drew and quartered Henderson after a mistake against Liverpool.

It worked though didn't it? He's looking every bit a future Man Utd and England keeper.

Our lot on the other hand seemingly have a 'woe is me' attitude.

The bigger picture though, is that the example is being set by the man at the very top..

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

I’m not saying the entire squad disliked Megson, but the stories from players there at the time suggest his methods rubbed a lot up the wrong way. 

Not saying its BS just wanted to know who the players were you are referring too.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Set up to counter attack?

No we aren't, we don't catch team out quickly on the break. Blackburn didn't sit in against us, they pressed us high and we couldn't get out of our own half. Tonight our 'wide' players were Palmer and Forestieri, how's that for playing on the counter attack? Previously we have had Harris & Murphy wide at times but you can't counter attack if your strikers are not mobile and your wide players aren't regular goal scorers. 

Blackburn was a shambles and tonight we set up completely different to how we have before, as I stated earlier. 

Before that both Leeds and QPR we set up to counter. Even the games at Hillsborough we’ve won we were set up to counter and had less of the ball.

they might not have a brilliant plan b but we dont even have one, its no good just changing formations, we bypassed 5 players tonight, why have a 5 man midfield when playing direct? we have capable players, i know they get stick but anyone saying we arent capable of getting the ball down to play with players like bannan, keiran lee, FF, reach when fit and harris is just trying to fool themselves.  Who deos this direct style suit? which players are we utislising with this route 1 game plan?

My point exactly, Monk has bought in better attacking options with the lose change he was given in January, set up a different system to dominate the midfield and be more attacking, they the PLAYERS resort to the type of football all footballers low on confidence/lack of mentality do and just hit and hope. No way has Monk told them to go out and do that, and his reaction afterwards suggests that’s the case.

• Thanks 1

He's a broken man who knows that he cannot continue the job. Statements like "We can talk about the game but its the overall picture isnt it.."  and "You'll have to ask the players"

Highly influential troublemakers causing problems. Certain players have more influence on this team than the manager does and he knows that so did Jos. Its too far gone and its happened too many times in the past. They are a disgrace to the club and fans should stop cheering for them and call them out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

The core of the squad worked hard for Megson because they had a belief in what he was doing for a good while. That fell down when results went downhill and the style looked dated and one-dimensional, Dave Jones got the same squad, albeit with the important addition of Antonio, playing far better football.

Tell me about how playing Forestieri at left-wing-back is meant to inspire and instill belief into the players.