Summer Contracts

21 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Absolutely crucial we keep and build the team around Ash Baker. (Wha? He's already gone? 'uckin hell). Okay, for the rest:

Fletcher - one of the best players in the Championship, happy with 2 year deal for him

Nuhiu - will always be a threat coming off the bench, go on Adthe, have another year

Fox - has improved, proved his wage demands aren't too high then another 2-3 year contract

Hutchinson - needs a good second half to the season, again depends on wages if he's going to be a squad player

Lee - See above. If he proves his fitness he's shown flashes of what he can do.

Forestieri - clearly good enough, but doubt his heart is in it. Probably release. (go on, prove me wrong)

Pelupessy - thanks very much and goodbye

Rhodes - sadly I believe he has another year. Try to sell him.

Winnall - Great goal celebrations, shame we didn't get to see them that often. Release

Stobbs - I don't know who you are

Penney - Looked decent the few games he had. One more year?

Da Cruz - lets wait and see

Bates - We hardly knew ye

Just my opinion of course, but we've got to stop being sentimental. Hard I know when we've supported some of these players for years. 

Too old, too slow, not enough quality.....take your pick, but we've got to let go. Football is a young mans game, built around pace and power. We need to clear the decks and get in the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Just my opinion of course, but we've got to stop being sentimental. Hard I know when we've supported some of these players for years. 

Too old, too slow, not enough quality.....take your pick, but we've got to let go. Football is a young mans game, built around pace and power. We need to clear the decks and get in the game.

It's not based on sentiment, take Fletcher - the Whoscored website isn't perfect, but their general methodology is quite accurate, and they reckon Fletcher is the 4th best player in the Championship this season (their 7th best player - Bowen, has just gone for £20m plus, the 6th best, Ayew, is on £80k a week). If we want to get promoted this is the type of player we should be keeping.

Everyone says he's injury prone... In three and a half seasons with us he's played 130 games - every target man we go for will pick up injuries. They get fouled the most on the pitch (we'll see how long Wickham lasts...).

For more borderline players - then it becomes a purely financial decision. We shouldn't be paying first team wages to squad players. But if they want to accept squad wages, we would be silly to lose players who can potentially do a job for us like Fox, Penney, Hutchinson, in pursuit of these mythical 'new, better, cheaper players'. Half, at least, of all signings fail, and if we're looking only at cheap replacements on squad player wages then more likely 75% we sign won't make an impact.

Pick any random year from the last 20 years and we'll see how many of the signings we make are good ones. This last year has probably been one of our best but we've still had the likes of Bates and Odubajo.

For example, here were our signings in 2014/15 (pre-Chansiri) when everyone thinks we knew what we were doing:

Claude Dielna - flop

Tom Lees - hit

Sergiu Bus - flop

Sam Hutchinson - hit

Stevie May - flop

Keiren Westwood - hit

Marnick Vermijl - flop

Dejan Kelhar - flop

Filipe Melo - flop

Ryan Meadows - flop

William De Havilland - flop

Paul McElroy - flop

Ryan Croadsale - flop

Ed Sanders - flop

Matt Young - flop

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

Pretty easy this

Fox gets a new deal based on much improved performance 

Fletcher offer a reduced 1 year deal 

Loans are not our players so not our decision 

All the rest, thanks for your services but it’s time for pastures new

10 months?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

Pick any random year from the last 20 years and we'll see how many of the signings we make are good ones. This last year has probably been one of our best but we've still had the likes of Bates and Odubajo.

For example, here were our signings in 2014/15 (pre-Chansiri) when everyone thinks we knew what we were doing:

Claude Dielna - flop

Tom Lees - hit

Sergiu Bus - flop

Sam Hutchinson - hit

Stevie May - flop

Keiren Westwood - hit

Marnick Vermijl - flop

Dejan Kelhar - flop

Filipe Melo - flop

Ryan Meadows - flop

Paul McElroy - flop

Ryan Croadsale - flop

Ed Sanders - flop

Matt Young - flop

We haven't know what we are doing for the past 20 years.

lol

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I wouldn’t 

I literally Can’t think of a single thing that I’d do differently if we go up, go down or stay the same...

Of course it matters. Wages for starters.

19 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Fox, Fletcher and Winnall.

17 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

I would keep Winnall also.

There is just something about him that thinks he will score goals given the right service

Winnall has played 627 minutes so far this season from 34 games (league and cup).

This despite the team lacking goals for most of that time.

Scored 6 goals for us in 3 years.  Although he faired better when he was loaned out at Derby until he got injured.

I’d be astonished if Winnall gets another contract here.

9 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

It's not based on sentiment, take Fletcher - the Whoscored website isn't perfect, but their general methodology is quite accurate, and they reckon Fletcher is the 4th best player in the Championship this season (their 7th best player - Bowen, has just gone for £20m plus, the 6th best, Ayew, is on £80k a week). If we want to get promoted this is the type of player we should be keeping.

Everyone says he's injury prone... In three and a half seasons with us he's played 130 games - every target man we go for will pick up injuries. They get fouled the most on the pitch (we'll see how long Wickham lasts...).

For more borderline players - then it becomes a purely financial decision. We shouldn't be paying first team wages to squad players. But if they want to accept squad wages, we would be silly to lose players who can potentially do a job for us like Fox, Penney, Hutchinson, in pursuit of these mythical 'new, better, cheaper players'. Half, at least, of all signings fail, and if we're looking only at cheap replacements on squad player wages then more likely 75% we sign won't make an impact.

Agree  Fletcher has been superb this year. How's he done in the previous 3?

I'd like him to stay for another year if its financially sustainable, but that means a big wage cut. Will Fletcher want to agree to that? will we see the Fletcher of this year, or previous seasons?

If we retain squad players who can do a job, the squad isn't going to improve. If they're not good enough to be in the first team, what's the point keeping them.

I accept recruitment can be hit and miss, which is why we have  invested in this department.

IMO needs a fundamental shift in approach, squad players should be the profile of Urhoghide, Hunt, Hidalgo etc i.e those with development in front of them and financially earning peanuts compared with a player who used to be good, but no longer good enough for the first team. 

10 hours ago, striker said:

If it was up to some people on Owlstalk we would still have Semedo, Reda Johnson and Miguel Llera.
You have to base your decisions on what is best for next season and beyond.
Think Fletcher been comfortably our best player so far this season but looking at his overall injury record and the fact he is injured again at the moment we have to move him on. 

Lot of confusion over Rhodes. It seems we loaned him first, so 4 years after the initial 5/6 month loan would make 2021. 

rounduns! I also read that we 'pipped' Villa to his signature. Oh how the football God's hate us!!!

From Yorkshire Post

As the deadline passed last night, details emerged that the former Huddersfield striker Rhodes, 26, had agreed a four-year deal with the clubs agreeing a fee that could rise to £10m.

However the deal is understood to be an initial loan with a view to a permanent move in the summer.

1 minute ago, briggowl said:

Lot of confusion over Rhodes. It seems we loaned him first, so 4 years after the initial 5/6 month loan would make 2021. 

rounduns! I also read that we 'pipped' Villa to his signature. Oh how the football God's hate us!!!

From Yorkshire Post

As the deadline passed last night, details emerged that the former Huddersfield striker Rhodes, 26, had agreed a four-year deal with the clubs agreeing a fee that could rise to £10m.

However the deal is understood to be an initial loan with a view to a permanent move in the summer.

Well at least if the fee included add ons,  there is very little chance we've triggered these given his contribution over the last 3 years.

10 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Claude Dielna - flop

Tom Lees - hit

Sergiu Bus - flop

Sam Hutchinson - hit

Stevie May - flop

Keiren Westwood - hit

Marnick Vermijl - flop

Dejan Kelhar - flop

Filipe Melo - flop

Ryan Meadows - flop

Paul McElroy - flop

Ryan Croadsale - flop

Ed Sanders - flop

Matt Young - flop

Bus, Melo and Vermijl were all signed when Chansiri bought the club. 

But yes Stevie May, Claude Dielna and Dejan Kelhar - all shockers. Except that screamer from Dielna away at Blackburn.

lol

Edited by SallyCinnamon

I worry about Fletchers age and fitness. As many have suggested maybe an extra year on our terms, if we can't replace with younger. 

Fox give 2 years, if he can continue as he has this season, great. 

That's it. Start again with a decent wage budget to work with. Cap wage at max 20k a week. If you can't perform for that then it's not good enough. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Bus, Melo and Vermijl were all signed when Chansiri bought the club. 

But yes Stevie May, Claude Dielna and Dejan Kelhar - all shockers. Except that screamer from Dielna away at Blackburn.

lol

Tbf, I doubt Chansiri had much to do with the signings of Melo and Vermijl or whatever this name was. 

He'd pretty much just bought the club from Milan. 

The person who was there at that point (which people sometimes forget) was Paxo or whatever his name is...