Summer Contracts

So much could happen between now and the summer can’t even get my head round who we should be keeping or not 

Will the manager even get a new deal for a start 

Regardless of what we all think (which I know defeats the object of the thread but just my tuppence worth) it boils down to finances and the manager - is it more cost effective to retain players based on their quality to the team or better to release and replace.

For me the cost of replacing even squad players (or future squad players) such as Fernando, Fletcher, Hutchinson, Lee, Atdhe is in likelihood going to cost more in transfers and at least the same in wages. Or we go down the route of lower league/foreign players which may cost less overall but still involve costs of some kind both up front and ongoing.

When it comes to the likes of Penney I struggle to understand why we wouldn't offer a contract as I doubt his wages would be high and if we got rid, we would need to replace.

I get the fact many of these players haven't performed but I also doubt managing a football team is as simplistic as many owlstalkers make out, especially given our current predicament. 

However anyone who thinks we can release 10 players and replace with equal or better quality for cheaper is probably more deluded than those who think that promotion is a possibility

Edited by Chris Apolon

2 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

Regardless of what we all think (which I know defeats the object of the thread but just my tuppence worth) it boils down to finances and the manager - is it more cost effective to retain players based on their quality to the team or better to release and replace.

For me the cost of replacing even squad players (or future squad players) such as Fernando, Fletcher, Hutchinson, Lee, Atdhe is in likelihood going to cost more in transfers and at least the same in wages. Or we go down the route of lower league/foreign players which may cost less overall but still involve costs of some kind both up front and ongoing.

When it comes to the likes of Penney I struggle to understand why we wouldn't offer a contract as I doubt his wages would be high and if we got rid, we would need to replace.

I get the fact many of these players haven't performed but I also doubt managing a football team is as simplistic as many owlstalkers make out, especially given our current predicament. 

However anyone who thinks we can release 10 players and replace with equal or better quality for cheaper is probably more deluded than those who think that promotion is a possibility

Maybe not 10 players but I can think of one that we could replace with equal or better and definitely cheaper.

Sorry JR but it's true.

Anyone thinking a player will accept anything other than a 2 year deal is deluded. Remember it takes two to tango, the player has to want it as well and offering a 30+ year old little in the way of security will result in them leaving anyway.

Fletcher, Fox and Hutch (due to his versatility) I would be happy to keep, the rest I wouldn't be too fussed to release.

I suspect a lot of the decisions on contract extensions (Monk included) will wait until the end of the season and rest on where we end up finishing.

Edited by Minton

7 hours ago, nilsson said:

Agree with this but I’m also surprised how many posters think it’ll be quite easy to sign all these new players that are championship quality.

We’re going to need to sign about 10 players. And that’s with a limited budget and without a director of football to lead the recruitment

DC has loads to bankroll this, no problem.

Ask the supporters who back him.

22 minutes ago, Minton said:

Anyone thinking a player will accept anything other than a 2 year deal is deluded. Remember it takes two to tango, the player has to want it as well and offering a 30+ year old little in the way of security will result in them leaving anyway.

Fletcher, Fox and Hutch (due to his versatility) I would be happy to keep, the rest I wouldn't be too fussed to release.

I suspect a lot of the decisions on contract extensions (Monk included) will wait until the end of the season and rest on where we end up finishing.

Regarding Fletcher, don't get me wrong, he's been our main threat and certainly best forward at the club (although the other options ain't exactly making that difficult) but I would rather see and hope the club make a proper assessment till the summer. Let's not forget for all him being class this season, he's certainly had his fair share of visits on the treatment table and that's something that has happened alot in his career. The last thing we can afford to do is offer a contract to someone who's gonna spend as much time off the pitch as being on it.

Fox has definitely improved but let's hope he can keep that consistency up from now till the summer.

Hutch, in my opinion,  can go with the rest. His commitment and attitude on the pitch has been great but how do we know how long it will be till he breaks down again or gets suspended? His injuries record is one to question when it comes to making a financial decision like that, plus he's also part of the old guard which realistically has failed to achieve anything for the club. We've been stuck in the the habit of offering silly money out to players to hang around and sit in the stands and that's why we find ourselves in the position we are in.

For me the most important thing we need to do in the summer is get a director of football or someone with good knowledge in the English game to oversee the transfers and squad and help rebuild this broken team properly. Although judging on the past I cant see Chansiri going down this route sadly.

Sorry a long ranted post.

There are plenty of good players out of contract at the end of the season. Indeed many of the better players in the lower divisions let their contracts run down as they believe they can join a bigger club. Many of our current player are on relatively high wages and the wage bill needs trimming, as it was last summer.

Whoever made that website did some great research.

Dawson has re-signed, Baker has left and Da Cruz doesn't belong to us. Also not sure about Rhodes, everyone though he had a 4 year contract but seem more and more suggestions he is in his last year.

To answer the question:

Definitely Fox and also Fletcher if the price is right.

I'd consider Nuhiu if the price was right as well. The fact that he has been renewed so many times makes me think he is on very low wages. If he is, he's always worth being an option on the bench.

But should never be starting.

2 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

Problem is alot the the players we got and you have mentioned there you are basing there quality on the past. Apart from Fletcher I am sure Monk would rather have Fox sign a new deal on equal terms to any one of them.

The quality of the player we sign all depends what Monk can get out of them. There is a good chance that Windass will have more of an impact then Forestieri for the remainder of the season for example. 

I used to think most of our players were up the with the best in the league, but it means nothing if the manager can get nothing out of them.

Lee, Hutch and Pelupessy

Now I'm not suggesting we give them all contracts, but with all the other the positions that need to be worked on do we really need to add 3 midfielders to the list.

Personally I'd keep Hutch and Pelupessy because he's only ever going to be 4th or 5th choice!