Atdhe Nuhiu

On 11/01/2020 at 21:52, toooldforthis said:

He’s done well today, he’s done well from time to time, he’ll do well again...but, in my humble opinion, having had a few kick a outs myself...he’s not blessed with an abundance of ability.

Actually, he's blessed with plenty of ability. It's his physique which actually holds him back but he is what he is and i've always appreciated him.

When you learn to accept what he is and isn't you might actually start to like him too

5 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

An enigma is our Dave.

Should win every header but just can't jump, then some games manages to beat 3 players with the ball at his feet. Got to love his loyalty and effort to the cause. 

I for one like him, does not mean i want him to stsrt each match though,  think sub is right for him seems to unsettle teams and changes our style of play for a short period.

Bit like Lee Chapman, never thought he was a great footballer but had a knack of scoring important goals every so often.

To be fair to Chapman he did a little better than score every so often. 63 goals in 149 appearances for us and 21 goals for Leeds in the top division when they finished 4th and 16 goals as Leeds won the League under Sgt Wilko. 

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

To be fair to Chapman he did a little better than score every so often. 63 goals in 149 appearances for us and 21 goals for Leeds in the top division when they finished 4th and 16 goals as Leeds won the League under Sgt Wilko. 

Ok, yes take that just a little better...but not exactly the most skillful. The way we played then think Dave would have got as many, we used to put so many quality balls into the box.

49 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

An enigma is our Dave.

Should win every header but just can't jump, then some games manages to beat 3 players with the ball at his feet. Got to love his loyalty and effort to the cause. 

I for one like him, does not mean i want him to stsrt each match though,  think sub is right for him seems to unsettle teams and changes our style of play for a short period.

Bit like Lee Chapman, never thought he was a great footballer but had a knack of scoring important goals every so often.

You see, that’s another social media mistruth about Nuhiu. He definitely can jump and constantly out-jumps his opponent. This “he’s 6 foot 6 when he stands and 5 foot 6 when he jumps” crap just isn’t true. 

Edited by shandypants

39 minutes ago, ReginaldD said:

Ben White sounds so up his own @rse in that interview:

"Yes, he's a big lump, isn't he? He's difficult to play against," White said following Leeds' defeat.

"It was part of what they were going to do. They were obviously going to bring him on if they were 0-0 and we should have been ready for that."

I know the Leeds fans have convinced themselves that they were 'Monked' and it was a smash and grab performance by a team who only came to defend. But you would think the players would know better. Leeds looked bereft of ideas in the second half, every substitution they made, made the performance worse and that 'big lump' played a lovely pass into the channel behind the Centre Back for the first goal and lost his man in the box for a first time finish for the second goal. Wasn't exactly John Fashanu was it?

"I think we played well first half," added the 22-year-old. "I think we deserved to get something from the game in our first half display. But we obviously did well against Arsenal.

"We've played like that before against a Championship side but it's not as big because it's not against a big side, so we'll just keep going.

Still harking back to the game against Arsenal, and clearly can't wait to get back to Brighton so he can get back to playing against 'big sides' (it might be news to him that Leeds weren't the only team to have an FA Cup tie last week away against a mid-table premier league side).

This makes me feel if we do make the playoffs, Leeds would be the perfect team to get. Rather than look at the reasons why they have lost 2-0 over two games and analyse ways that other teams have beaten us, they would just convince themselves they were unlucky and play exactly the same way again.

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

You see, that’s another social media mistruth about Nuhiu. He definitely can jump and constantly out-jumps his opponent. This “he’s 6 foot 6 when he stands and 5 foot 6 when he jumps” crap just isn’t true. 

Even his biggest fan must admit he frequently isn't as good in the air as his size suggests he should be.

Not much of a leap. 

3 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Ben White sounds so up his own @rse in that interview:

I know the Leeds fans have convinced themselves that they were 'Monked' and it was a smash and grab performance by a team who only came to defend. But you would think the players would know better. Leeds looked bereft of ideas in the second half, every substitution they made, made the performance worse and that 'big lump' played a lovely pass into the channel behind the Centre Back for the first goal and lost his man in the box for a first time finish for the second goal. Wasn't exactly John Fashanu was it?

Still harking back to the game against Arsenal, and clearly can't wait to get back to Brighton so he can get back to playing against 'big sides' (it might be news to him that Leeds weren't the only team to have an FA Cup tie last week away against a mid-table premier league side).

This makes me feel if we do make the playoffs, Leeds would be the perfect team to get. Rather than look at the reasons why they have lost 2-0 over two games and analyse ways that other teams have beaten us, they would just convince themselves they were unlucky and play exactly the same way again.

Love to beat dirty Leeds in the play offs.

Look Leeds would be cancelled permanently.

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

Even his biggest fan must admit he frequently isn't as good in the air as his size suggests he should be.

Not much of a leap. 

He could be better in the air but he’s not completely hopeless (far from it) but he’s a good 4” taller than most defenders so he does need as much of a leap. I’d argue that he wins as many aerial balls as other centre forwards of similar stature.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Here's the 15 strikers in the league who have challenged for most headers this season. Only Matt Smith and Kieffer Moore stand out as being clearly better than him. Most are worse, particularly Tom Bradshaw (Maybe Millwall should stop firing high balls at a 5'10" striker?). So, perhaps amongst the 6'6" beanpoles he's slightly underperforming, but he stack up well against most 6'2" strikers.

image.png.b146348c63e232c2c23eb6d25449f0e1.png

Of course, these stats don't show where the flick ons are going to... in the Hull match he managed to header most of them straight out of play. But he's definitely a handful in the air, and the really excellent part of his game is holding the ball up at his feet (not sure Smith and Moore are as good at that?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Emerson Thome said:

Here's the 15 strikers in the league who have challenged for most headers this season. Only Matt Smith and Kieffer Moore stand out as being clearly better than him. Most are worse, particularly Tom Bradshaw (Maybe Millwall should stop firing high balls at a 5'10" striker?). So, perhaps amongst the 6'6" beanpoles he's slightly underperforming, but he stack up well against most 6'2" strikers.

image.png.b146348c63e232c2c23eb6d25449f0e1.png

Of course, these stats don't show where the flick ons are going to... in the Hull match he managed to header most of them straight out of play. But he's definitely a handful in the air, and the really excellent part of his game is holding the ball up at his feet (not sure Smith and Moore are as good at that?)

Those stats say he isn't quite as good as he should be for his height.

Exactly as observed.

We all should know Nuhiu inside out by now and yet people are still surprised that he’s never gonna be a striker that hits double figures. He’s a very specific type of striker and there’s gonna be some games where he’s completely ineffectual. 

He is much better suited coming on for the final 15.

And I’d be confident in saying that most managers in this league would love an Atdhe in their squads. Not their first 11...but definitely their squads.

He’s had some horrible games this season and yet the positive contributions he has made have ALL been invaluable to our promotion push.

He’s a funny one. But I love him for what he is.

I think the 6 weeks or so before Saturday though, he was just in some bad form for the most part.

His own particular brand of hold-up play that he's made into something of an art he just seemed to stop doing.

Also, I'm not so convinced that he's definitely not a starter. Well, at least for some games. I think some games just seem like Nuhiu-type games; games in which he comes off the bench and indeed he makes a big difference. It's hard to understand why such a game isn't one he could've started, especially when it's at half time that comes on.

Anyway, irrespective of all this, we definitely need a more varied pool of strikers bringing in. This was already the case, but even more so now with Fletcher's injury. Nuhiu and Winnall up looks poor, Nuhiu with Rhodes is even worse. Rhodes and Winnall is the only combo left and I wouldn't be holding my breath about that. I think one up top's our only option at the moment.

8 hours ago, shandypants said:

Come on, for someone of his size he should win nearly every aerial battle. Ok might be a timing thing but frequently beaten by far smaller players. Not knocking him but could do better.

10 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

For me this is one of the issues with OT (not singling out you BTW Soul). Everything is either unbelievably brilliant or soul-destroyingly terrible. Or in this case a “delight” or “superb. In reality Nuhiu did well as a sub. He came on and made a difference. He made a good pass to set up Murphy and he took his goal well.  

I can’t help but agree . However, I’m happy to accept him for what he is because when he comes on, invariably he does make a difference