Are injury prone players thoroughly vetted?

Stupid question but what with our record on this I would like to think that the club thoroughly vets players before signing.

Can imagine agents ringing the club saying 'oh yes he's been out for years with a bad knee, but he's fine now'

The thing is, what is injury prone?  Unless a player has an underlying medical condition that is identifiable that leads to weak bones, muscle problems etc, then all he will have is a record that he was unlucky enough to get injured and has now recovered.  A hamstring tear every 6 months may be a giveaway, but an impact injury every 6 months just means they have been kicked a lot, is that injury prone?

Edited by Striggy

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Some player put themselves in harms way every game with hard tackles or doing what Fletcher does. Others like Reach rarely tackle or get in the mix where they might get hurt. Hardly surprising some get injured more than others. I know theres more to it than that but it just indicates that you need to look closely at the type of player and the type of injury.

You also get players who will try to come back before they are properly fit (Lee) they end up with longer term injuries but take the risk to help the team.

• Like 1

Guest Ferkorf
42 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Yes, we send them to a vet. 

I can think of a few cases where they should have been given the needle aswell lol

9 minutes ago, The Claw said:

abdi

Oddly he wasn't really injury prone when we signed him. He played in 32 PL + 6 cup games for Watford the previous season, starting 29 of them and was only absent from their squad twice.

Then he came here and after looking quite decent in pre-season he just...broke.

Bit like the army medical my dad told me about when he was called up in  WW2.

‘Stand on this scale. 12 st 2 .good , 5’10” tall, very good, Cough please, Splendid you’re A1 ‘

And off he went to fight the Germans..

• Haha 3

Well we got rid of our full medical team and Carlos brought his own in and we saw what happened there most of the did not know one end of a stethoscope from the other and we had 15 players out injured.

I think what we have know is better but missing 4 match over xmas for Fletch with a cold makes me wonder about the validity of some at the club. Fessi jarred his knee in November and two month later has still not returned.

I wonder if the modern football is wrapped in a little bit too much cotton wool, as in the real world as me old man used to say suck it up son and get on with it. I still chuckle 4 games for a cold dear god.

See the source image

1 hour ago, Mus said:

Stupid question but what with our record on this I would like to think that the club thoroughly vets players before signing.

Can imagine agents ringing the club saying 'oh yes he's been out for years with a bad knee, but he's fine now'

Our medical consists of watching a player being able to walk from his car into the training ground. If he manages that, then we sign him. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Oddly he wasn't really injury prone when we signed him. He played in 32 PL + 6 cup games for Watford the previous season, starting 29 of them and was only absent from their squad twice.

Obliviously an underlying issue with him hence a first team premier league regular signed for a championship side . He optimises how awfully run we are / have been Over the last few years 

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Our medical consists of watching a player being able to walk from his car into the training ground. If he manages that, then we sign him. 

I know for a fact they all have to park 10 minutes away. Ask Grant McCann.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Think we only check physical things.