We miss..

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yes, he was always one to turn it on and drag the team kicking/screaming when things were going wrong. 

Still would rather have him in the squad than our other striking options. Superior player and more of a goal threat. With the exception of Fletcher who has been great this season.

Also Joao was a player capable of creating or scoring a goal out of nowhere. That’s something we’ve desperately lacked at times this season. We are very predictable. Stop Bannan and Harris and you’ve pretty much got us sussed.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

Guest The Horse

It's Hooper we've missed the most for me.

Was our most intelligent player by a mile. Could see the play down on the pitch as though he was watching it from the stands.

Although it would be a safe bet to say that if he wasn't injured so much he'd have been offered a new contract and still be here.

When Hooper, Bannan, Lee and Forestieri combined it was a joy to watch. But Lee is not the same and Fernando is lost in a different dimension right now.

Only Bannan has remained injury free and has retained his standards.

Which is a real pain cos those above mixed in with Harris, Borner, Luongo and Iorfa would be a thing of beauty to watch.

I still did love João though. Just didn't feel he was on the same page as the rest when it came to having a football brain.

We miss a leader on the pitch who can pick the team up when things aren't going right. 

When we were 2-0 down to Huddersfield in the 4-4 game I have a vivid memory of Rob Jones rallying everybody. I dont think Lees is capable of rousing the team imo. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Joao is benefiting from the old football rule of people thinking he is a better player when he isn't playing anymore.

He was far and away our second best striker. He’s got 6 goals so far this year despite being injured. I’d be surprised if any of our forwards bar Fletcher get as many as that in total.

He was capable of the odd moment of magic that we could do with every now and again to lift the crowd. He could also be dogshite. With our other forwards though the words could and also are superfluous. 

Can you imagine how much this team would transform with a nippy kid playing up front?

We've been subjected to Rhodes, Nuhiu and Winnall for so long that we've lost track of what strikers should do.

Stick a quick lad up front for us and watch him become a fan favourite overnight. 

Regards to Joao, I actually really liked him, he was streets ahead of the above 3 albeit still with his own problems - but it made sense to sell him at the time.

1 hour ago, CalmJimmers said:

We miss a leader on the pitch who can pick the team up when things aren't going right. 

When we were 2-0 down to Huddersfield in the 4-4 game I have a vivid memory of Rob Jones rallying everybody. I dont think Lees is capable of rousing the team imo. 

This....big time.

We need someone out there who will act as Monk's representative on the pitch...cajole, encourage, re-enforce the game plan, gee up, bawl out if necessary, run through brick walls to set an example. With the exception of Rhodes, Murphy, Harris and possibly Fox I don't see anyone in the team who shows fewer of those qualities than Tom Lees. He struggles even to take on a guiding and organising role with his defensive partner. Club Captain, fine....but not the main man on the pitch for me 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Horse said:

It's Hooper we've missed the most for me.

Was our most intelligent player by a mile. Could see the play down on the pitch as though he was watching it from the stands.

Although it would be a safe bet to say that if he wasn't injured so much he'd have been offered a new contract and still be here.

When Hooper, Bannan, Lee and Forestieri combined it was a joy to watch. But Lee is not the same and Fernando is lost in a different dimension right now.

Only Bannan has remained injury free and has retained his standards.

Which is a real pain cos those above mixed in with Harris, Borner, Luongo and Iorfa would be a thing of beauty to watch.

I still did love João though. Just didn't feel he was on the same page as the rest when it came to having a football brain.

Great post totally agree 

13 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How many goals do think he would have scored for us if he had played the same amount of games as Nuhiu?

Do you mean in his career or this season?

João scored once every 230 minutes for us, so if he had played just under 1,000 minutes like Nuhiu has this season, we could expect 4 goals.

If you mean over the course of a career as long as Nuhiu, that would even out at 57 goals (Nuhiu has 46*)

*47 in my opinion

14 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Lucas Joao. I believe it was the right decision to sell him financially. But we miss his pace, creativity and imagination up front. We are so stale up front, and we lack spark and unpredictability. I would much rather mark Winnall, Rhodes and Nuhiu than Joao. He had his flaws, but he did bring something to the team which we don’t have anymore. 

Desperate for a player with some quality and skill in attack. And just going forward in general. Harris looks burnt out, Reach isn’t the same player and Bannan can’t do it all. 

The OP is spot on. It's not necessarily about the quality Lucas had, more about the variety, or lack of, of our attacking options.

We're very one dimensional. Lucas was the only striker we had with a bit of pace, bit of power and a bit of trickery combined.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

He's still plays occasionally in the Shanghai ex-pats veterans league.

Definitely looked like Carlton and in Whirlow where I know he used to live but I started to wonder whether he has a son because genuinely he didn’t look any different from all those years ago striding through the midfield.

14 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Definitely looked like Carlton and in Whirlow where I know he used to live but I started to wonder whether he has a son because genuinely he didn’t look any different from all those years ago striding through the midfield.

Yes, it could well have been. He still travels back to the UK regularly (I guess he's still got a house here) and its during the school holidays.

And yes, he does still look exactly the same.

Lucas Joao. I believe it was the right decision to sell him financially. But we miss his pace, creativity and imagination up front. We are so stale up front, and we lack spark and unpredictability. I would much rather mark Winnall, Rhodes and Nuhiu than Joao. He had his flaws, but he did bring something to the team which we don’t have anymore. 

Desperate for a player with some quality and skill in attack. And just going forward in general. Harris looks burnt out, Reach isn’t the same player and Bannan can’t do it all. 

Completely agree.

He was the only remaining striker who offered us something different. Jao was capable of picking the ball up and running at defenders. He had skill, pace and strength but lacked work ethnic. Technically, he was the most talented striker at the club.

We now have four of the same type of striker just with varying degrees of crapness - arguably harsh on Fletch. I like him a lot, just ageing. 

Hahahahahahaha! But he wasnt even that fast! He also had very little 'quality'. 

we are without doubt lacking pace up front and I fully expect it to be addressed in the window, but we don't miss lucas joao.

but you are correct in your assumption that WHEN he turns up he's harder to mark than the others (pace does that).