Sam Hutchinson

5 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

He was poor today but I think people are quick to forget the good performances from him. We were crying out for him on Boxing Day at Stoke.

Doesnt suit 4-4-2 at home though.

He came on at Stoke with over half an hour left, he didn't stop us sitting back in our own half and capitulating. 

I agree with you though, he can still be of use in a midfield 3 but his game is simply not suited to playing in a midfield 2 for a team that need to get on the front foot in the opposing half of the field. 

Monk should have tried Lee as a substitute in at least one of the last 2 games, we were two predictable and easy to defend against in both games when trying to chase it.

Doesn’t seem to do much apart from sit in front of back 4 - as others have said leaves Bannan the job of doing the majority of midfield work. Contract up in summer - another one who needs to be replaced. Think majority of the squad have got too comfy and complacent 

37 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

He's not even that good at CB we have tried that many times before... Out of contract in the summer is he? He's another one who should be replaced.

He’s the best centre back in the Championship 

• Haha 1

Doesn't have the legs to tear around as a midfielder breaking up play or doesn't dictate enough on the ball, driving us up the pitch or allowing bannan and wide men to push up. He sits too deep because he is a central defender and a bloody good one at that.

I'd keep him but for me, his time as a midfielder in a 2 is coming close to an end, especially now he's hit 30. Has to be used as a defender

On 01/01/2020 at 18:34, LSOwls said:

He's a centre back.

Would rather him play RB than CM

Not as bizarre a suggestion as some would think. A few years ago, I had the opportunity to speak with Lee Bullen at the team hotel prior to an away match. I asked about Sam then and Bullen's reply was that Hutch was the best right back at the club, bar none.

The more you look at it, he actually fits the bill perfectly, no nonsense, can tackle and deliver. Good shout LS

In a Back 3 perfect for him or a midfield 3 provided Bannan plays further forward.

Dawson 

Hutch    Lees    Borner 

Odabajo                                  Reach 

Bannan

Luongo             Lee

Winnall      Fletcher

Or

Iorfa CB

Hutch to anchor Midfield

Bannan in place of Lee 

Can only play a 4 5 1/4 3 3 with Hutch in Midfield imo if Fessi is available to play from the left and did have tried for Roberts on loan to play from the right but that ships sailed now.

On 01/01/2020 at 19:32, Blatter said:

Hutchinson plays so deep he’s leaving Bannan to do 75% of the midfield work. He doesn’t have the physicality to do that week in week out.

We have nobody running at goal through the middle from deep lying positions and not enough men in the box where it counts.

Repeatedly hoofing the ball up to Fletcher Nuhiu and Winnall has not worked for the last 3 games but we persist with it.

I know Luongo is injured but I thought the last 20 minutes was crying out for some late runs into the box from Kieron Lee.

Until Luongo is fit  surely Lee really ought to be given a chance to drag the midfield nearer the opponents goal late in the game.

The thing with this is we have a central defender (Lees) who doesn't look positive enough when he has the ball.

There were plenty of times when he could have picked out a forward pass to feet or advanced with the ball, instead

he goes sideways, then the ball comes back and he goes sideways again, then Hutchinson and Bannan have to drop

deep to get the ball which then leaves us short in attacking options.

This season it looked like Lees had left the sideways passing behind and he was playing well more often than not.

Borner and Iorfa both have the ability to drive forward with the ball whereas Lees is very reluctant to do so.

I'm not saying he's our main problem at the moment, but he is stifling the forward motion.

On 01/01/2020 at 20:16, Ian said:

He’s the best centre back in the Championship 

agree with this. Thrown in a few times now last minute and has been best player on pitch Leeds game was the last one. Went back there for a minute when Lees was off pitch against Hull and I think it was Harris he bailed out. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing what Borner is like as a holding midfielder. Not as if it’s a new position to him and he is very good in possession.