Sam Hutchinson

3 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Not as bizarre a suggestion as some would think. A few years ago, I had the opportunity to speak with Lee Bullen at the team hotel prior to an away match. I asked about Sam then and Bullen's reply was that Hutch was the best right back at the club, bar none.

The more you look at it, he actually fits the bill perfectly, no nonsense, can tackle and deliver. Good shout LS

Being saying this for years 

if I remember correctly he was on loan at Rotherham before he came to us and played as a right back 

6 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Not as bizarre a suggestion as some would think. A few years ago, I had the opportunity to speak with Lee Bullen at the team hotel prior to an away match. I asked about Sam then and Bullen's reply was that Hutch was the best right back at the club, bar none.

The more you look at it, he actually fits the bill perfectly, no nonsense, can tackle and deliver. Good shout LS

Bullen has stood in as temp manager twice then since he told you this and I don’t recall him being played there

Might be imagining this but hasn’t Hutchinson said before his best position is centre half?

also looks so much more composed when he is there. No lunging in for tackles, getting himself booked or injured. 
we would get more games out of him that’s a guarantee. 

Edited by sheffwed1

On 01/01/2020 at 18:31, Beholder said:

He's a defender. 

Pure and simple.

Even he says so. 

Luongo needs to play in that position whenever possible. 

I strongly agree he is a superb defender and his performance against leeds certainly demonstrated this. Ridiculous when you consider we spent 4m on VanWanken and we got hutch on a free...

1 hour ago, Sefton owl said:

Ridiculous when you consider we spent 4m on VanWanken...

I don't believe for a moment that was anything like the case.

Inside information is not necessary; the logic is clear enough. Following the purchase of Rhodes, we have spent very little due to the financial regulations. It had been known before the end of the previous season that we would have only two experienced centre backs in the squad (with the impending releases of Semedo, Lachman and Sasso) and one of those was injured. That we started the next campaign using reserves from other positions (before bringing in Venancio and van Aken) tells you all you need to know about the resources we were making available at that time. 

Edited by DJMortimer

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I love a bit of tabloidese.

I can just picture Lee Johnson sat huddled over his desk in a darkened subterranean lair 'plotting' how to sign Hutchinson!

And once he's finished 'plotting', no doubt he'll be making a 'swoop'?

17 hours ago, sheffwed1 said:

Might be imagining this but hasn’t Hutchinson said before his best position is centre half?

also looks so much more composed when he is there. No lunging in for tackles, getting himself booked or injured. 
we would get more games out of him that’s a guarantee. 

If my memory serves me correctly, I remember Hutchinison himself saying he prefers to play in front of the defence.