Wholesale changes or a couple of extra signings - January transfer window

What do we need in the January transfer window to keep us in the play offs - whole sale changes or a couple of extra players.

Personally I think a couple of extra players might do it - a new RB and a pacey striker - with a couple of the existing strikers leaving (any 2 bar Fletcher)

what do we think?? 

I really don't think we have the finances to make wholesale changes, or even to bring players in for a fee.

We do have to try to move out a couple of high wage earners whether we want to or not, and particularly those who are on the bench more and who are going to be out of contract. Hopefully replace them with a couple of loans of young, hungry players.

I like Monk and think we are in good hands with him to do what he can within the constraints we have.

It definitely won’t be wholesale changes, and neither should it be A couple, or maybe three, incomings is probably all we need to balance the squad. A alternative to Fletcher, another striker who can play wide, and with the pace to run in behind, and I think, if we go back to a three in midfield, another midfielder

Ideally try to loan a pacey box to box midfielder, a right back and a pacey forward. 

I would also be prepared to listen to offers for absolutely anyone in our team if they came in. Nobody is irreplacable and we shouldnt be scared of letting players go to allow us to maybe freshen things up a bit. 

Dawson is great value for money so we have to offload Westwood, who has been a great player for us, but his value for money when we are up against financial constraints cannot be justified.

Similarly Rhodes, goals and minutes on the pitch per pound of cost means we have to offload, even if he was amazing v Forest.

Spend less than 20% of those combined wages on a decent loan forward - just has to make logical sense.

2 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Ideally try to loan a pacey box to box midfielder, a right back and a pacey forward. 

I would also be prepared to listen to offers for absolutely anyone in our team if they came in. Nobody is irreplacable and we shouldnt be scared of letting players go to allow us to maybe freshen things up a bit. 

I’d be disappointed if Iorfa, Börner, Bannan, Luongo, Harris or Fletcher left because they’re good players who would be difficult/expensive to replace. 

The rest are much of a muchness really — inconsistent, past their best or simply not good enough for the starting XI of a team that’s serious about promotion this year (or all three)

Guest wilyfox

Revamp our attack, full-stop. Keep Fletcher. Rest of our so-called striker cúnts can go. I'd bin Murphy too. You don't bring a prem player in to do sod all. Get rid & replace. 

38 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I’d be disappointed if Iorfa, Börner, Bannan, Luongo, Harris or Fletcher left because they’re good players who would be difficult/expensive to replace. 

The rest are much of a muchness really — inconsistent, past their best or simply not good enough for the starting XI of a team that’s serious about promotion this year (or all three)

I agree with you for the most part. However we need yo also ensure that we dont rest on what we have player wise and use any chances we have to grow the team wisely. 

Bannan is a good example for this. Selling him to many would be seen as suicide, yet say £8-10m for him would see us likely able to bring in 2 other very decent players.  Whilst each not likely as good as Bannan, Collectively they may have a better overall contribution to the team and how we play than what Bannan did.

Wouldnt suggest selling all the best players, just wouldnt be scared of selling one of them if the right offer came in. I honestly dont think things would be as bad as people fear if it were to happen. 

i keep reading that we should get some loans in.  I personally am not in favour of that approach.

You can't build a squad around loan players.  

Ideally we should be looking at players whose contracts are coming to an end next summer.  See if we can raid a few clubs in the division below if necessary.  Standout players for their respective clubs.  

Top priority should be creative and or explosive wingers with pace.  Creative wingers who can actually cross a decent ball in.  

Marcus Maddison would be the perfect.  

Realistically think we need 3/4 permanent signings and 2 or 3 loans for this season and next if under embargo.

Probably only be players with 6 months left on their contract but I'm sure there are 3/4 of those we can get in for £5m or so.

Summer offloading should cover that outlay roughly.

Don't need whole sale changes, we're sat in the playoffs so a couple of additions/changes should be sufficient. 

1 more winger, return murphy and replace with someone who has some ability! Add a goalscorer (easier said than done). 

Get shut of a couple of strikers, murphy and can't believe I'm saying this but also FF. Best player we've had for years but he can't have played more than 10/15% of the games over the last 2 years? Brilliant ability but if he's never going to play it becomes irrelevant. 

Don't think that this squad is good enough to get us promoted, and neither it will be next season. We need to accept this, make some hard decisions and start to build with next few seasons in mind.

Getting promoted "quickly" already cost us and we can't keep making same mistakes if we are to progress.

1 hour ago, sMacLean said:

Realistically think we need 3/4 permanent signings and 2 or 3 loans for this season and next if under embargo.

Probably only be players with 6 months left on their contract but I'm sure there are 3/4 of those we can get in for £5m or so.

Summer offloading should cover that outlay roughly.

Are we really in a position to be spending ‘£5m or so’? Only the sentence before you mention us being under an embargo. Why don’t we for once try and do things right and just get 2/3 loans in

Striker

Winger

Left back

I'd get rid of Nuhiu, Winnall and Rhodes if offers came in and we could replace.

Send Murphy back.

Cant make my mind up about Foriesteri, still think he's our best creative attacking player if he is given a run of games.

Listen to offers for the likes of Fessi, Rhodes, Bannan etc.

I'd look at another defender, a utility player, whether that be permanent or a couple of loanees.

Definitely need something else in midfield and out wide so again - a bit more pace, someone with plenty of movement and who's young and hungry to hare around the pitch, a transfer or loanee

And someone up top that offers us some pace, craft, guile and directness. Someone to get the ball and run at defenders. All our strikers are similar types .. good with the head, not that great with ball to feet so like balls in to the box. We've been crying out for a direct forward since the Hull play off final and it hasn't come. Now is the time for that!