Wholesale changes or a couple of extra signings - January transfer window

Guest Ferkorf
9 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Revamp our attack, full-stop. Keep Fletcher. Rest of our so-called striker cúnts can go. I'd bin Murphy too. You don't bring a prem player in to do sod all. Get rid & replace. 

This

10 hours ago, Daz said:

Dawson is great value for money so we have to offload Westwood, who has been a great player for us, but his value for money when we are up against financial constraints cannot be justified.

Similarly Rhodes, goals and minutes on the pitch per pound of cost means we have to offload, even if he was amazing v Forest.

Spend less than 20% of those combined wages on a decent loan forward - just has to make logical sense.

I get what you are saying and why but wherever those players went I think we would still be paying a portion of wages even if they did move on. And Westwood has another year on his deal after this season. There’s also no way anyone will cover Jordan Rhodes full current salary until June when his contract with us expires. 

Rhodes, Winnall, FF and Dave should all be available for transfer. I’d send Murphy back to Newcastle. Hopefully, we can get rid of 2 of our strikers.

Id look to continue playing 4-4-2 and we should go for a striker and a winger and maybe another who can play both positions. We need to bring players in who have a bit of pace. 

Just now, York_Owl said:

I think this team needs a leader / captain.  We're pretty well covered at centre back (unless Iorfa leaves) so I would be looking to bring in a central midfielder to captain the team.

That could be a plan, although I’d like to see Borner do the job. He was skipper at his old club, and looks a bit of a leader. Back to your point about a midfielder, yes if we are going to play 4-4-2, then we need to get a high energy pairing who can operate as a two The main revamp though, needs to be up front. It was always a bit of a myth, for me anyway, that we had plenty of options up top. In numbers maybe, but not in terms of quality

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

Left back essential

Striker with pace

Two wingers

On the left back i would bring back Matt Penney and see what he can offer after his experience in Germany. Surely he has something to be a great left back in this division given time and experience.

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Cant make my mind up about Foriesteri, still think he's our best creative attacking player if he is given a run of games.

How can you give someone a run of games when they obviously ain't bothered?

Where is he right now, when we need him?

Forget FF, he certainly has forgotten about us.

If we can make any money from selling Westwood, Joey, Rhodes, Dave, FF that would be good, would also reduce the wage bill

send Murphy and Baxter back

At Least one quick forward with a good work rate and a winger ( wasn't we looking at an ex Birmingham winger now in a lower league)

We also lack a Beast in midfield

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

If we can make any money from selling Westwood, Joey, Rhodes, Dave, FF that would be good, would also reduce the wage bill

send Murphy and Baxter back

At Least one quick forward with a good work rate and a winger ( wasn't we looking at an ex Birmingham winger now in a lower league)

We also lack a Beast in midfield

Who thafook is Baxter? 

It's a bit of a quandary this one. Do we start the rebuilding process now or wait until the summer when we might not be in a position to do much for obvious reasons.

We need a more mobile pacy forward option. I might be in the minority but I think we need a new left-back. We've required a more physical presence in midfield for years now but I'm not sure we'll ever get one? Another fast direct winger like Harris wouldn't go amiss either.

As for outgoings I'd shift out Rhodes and Winnall if at all possible. If there was any interest in Reach I'd move him on too. In truth any of the players who are out of contract in the summer could be moved on but obviously this depends on interest from elsewhere?

FWIW I think we'll see 2 loans in and maybe 2/3 out and we'll gamble once again on this squad being good enough to get the job done but it's the last chance saloon for 80% of this squad and a new era will start to emerge in the next 12/18 months or so and not before time IMO.

7 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Rhodes to Celtic for starters, he could score in his sleep in Scotland. Thinking about it he has not been awake much since he camelol

Rhodes isn’t going to swap the bench at one club for another. The Celtic rumours are daft.

I don’t see the value in loaning a player that is out of contact at the end of the season either. The only way we should get move Rhodes on is for a nominal fee.

30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That could be a plan, although I’d like to see Borner do the job. He was skipper at his old club, and looks a bit of a leader. Back to your point about a midfielder, yes if we are going to play 4-4-2, then we need to get a high energy pairing who can operate as a two The main revamp though, needs to be up front. It was always a bit of a myth, for me anyway, that we had plenty of options up top. In numbers maybe, but not in terms of quality

I'd agree with that.  Currently I would play Iorfa and Borner at CB so would defo make Borner captain. 

In addition to that I would also bring in a central midfielder who could also captain the team but as a minumum run the midfield.

And as you say a revamp up front including the striker with pace we've pretty much all been hankering for since 2015/16 if not earlier!

10 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

It's a bit of a quandary this one. Do we start the rebuilding process now or wait until the summer when we might not be in a position to do much for obvious reasons.

We need a more mobile pacy forward option. I might be in the minority but I think we need a new left-back. We've required a more physical presence in midfield for years now but I'm not sure we'll ever get one? Another fast direct winger like Harris wouldn't go amiss either.

As for outgoings I'd shift out Rhodes and Winnall if at all possible. If there was any interest in Reach I'd move him on too. In truth any of the players who are out of contract in the summer could be moved on but obviously this depends on interest from elsewhere?

FWIW I think we'll see 2 loans in and maybe 2/3 out and we'll gamble once again on this squad being good enough to get the job done but it's the last chance saloon for 80% of this squad and a new era will start to emerge in the next 12/18 months or so and not before time IMO.

Yes a quandary, but our best chance of sorting our finances out, in the short term anyway, is getting out of this league Normally I’d say wait until the summer, when there will be major changes, whichever division we are in. However, as you point out, we may find ourselves under different restrictions come the summer. 

Despite the last couple of results, I think Monk has done a pretty good job in keeping us there, or thereabouts. To progress further though, he really does need to bring in a few players who can shape the way he wants us to play. He can do this with loans, so yes, 2 or 3 targeted players of the right calibre, is the sort of business I’d be looking for

Personally I don’t think we necessarily need a goal scorer. We need to add new dimensions to our attack. We need a striker who can drop and play between the lines to bring people into play, similar to what Hooper use to do and I think we need a forward who goes in behind. Give ourself options rather than just relying on Fletchers head, becomes very predictable. 

Personally, I wouldn't be bothered if we off loaded everyone except the two young keepers

This squad has needed young blood for many years now, but we keep bringing in players coming to the end of their careers

Iorfa was the type of signing we should be looking at more often, young with a point to prove

We are a nice team, we're too soft in places, we need to bring in young hungry and a little bit nasty

Whether we can pick up an Iorfa type or two, or whether we have to raid the loan market, we must offload some of these wasters

And talking of soft, Murphy must be sent back, he doesn't possess the mental toughness

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Sell Reach and send Murphy back, Make sure all the out of contract players are not offered new deals apart from Fletcher, Dawson and possibly Hutchinson. 

Spend wisely, build a team not a team of individuals which we have now. 

If we are to get hit with FFP and a points deduction take it on the chin and stay in this league. 

Summertime will see all the out of contract players leave and FFP restarting its 3 year rolling. 

Monk gets a fresh club to go and take forward. 

We won't do any of that though.