Kieron Lee

4 hours ago, megsonstheman said:

Has to start next game. How on earth Monk puts Murphy in the side ahead of him is crazy. Murphy never has or never will cut it here at hillsborough. Give Lee a chance to get back to match fitness, we all know he's a quality player, is he past it? we don't know cos Monk doesn't play him.

I'm still holding on to the hope that he comes back to the player he was a couple of seasons ago, although no signs of it yet. On his day he makes such a difference, always looks to move the ball forward, none of this turning back as the first reaction. Gets the ball moving forward and quickly. Also has a knack of being in the right place. Give some game time and see if his form returns. 

Lee is probably my favourite player over the last 20 years or so but not sure he’s the answer now. Big shame but injuries have taken its toll.

We need fletcher back ASAP and we need a pace option up top. We could do with getting Borner back in the side as well. We won’t be far away then and will be a match for anyone in this dire league. 

4 hours ago, Bleeder said:

Couldn't agree more.

Hutchinson and/or Bannan dropping to pick the ball off Tom Lees toe leaves a gaping hole in the middle of the park that needs someone in it. No link up play whatsoever, just long, often hopeful balls from Bannan. 

I know that they've both got their strengths but hate to see Bannan and Hutch in CM together.... so little forward movement...

Is it possible that Hutch and Bannan HAVE to drop back to take the ball off Tom Lees' toe because Tom's passing is shybo ??  FFS

5 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Lee has done nothing when he has played. We should never have given him a new contract. Almost seemed like a sympathy contract after his bad injury 

I think us being massively short in depth for CM was another reason and give his injury record recently, he was always going to be a cheap option to retain to add that depth for this season. 1 year deal where other players would have demanded longer, especially from other clubs, knows the club and the squad, has natural ability...

But next season that’s obviously a different outlook. 

Game last night was crying out for someone like lee, our forward line was static and literally in a line, no willingness to drop in for the ball, with there defence doing a good job of covering the space in behind and stopping the wingers getting many crosses in. Then bannan or hutch dropped in deep to collect leaving reach and the other midfield marked out the game, which became even worse when we went 442. Which forced us long, against two 6ft something centre halves. Lee would of found the spaces in the midfield to help us turn on the floor in tight spaces. Instead of a hoof ball game we couldn’t possibly win. 

9 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Is it possible that Hutch and Bannan HAVE to drop back to take the ball off Tom Lees' toe because Tom's passing is shybo ??  FFS

It certainly contributes. I know Tom Lees is a decent defender but he's very poor with the ball at his feet.

Having said that, neither Hutch nor Bannan make the instinctive runs between the lines that Lee and to a slightly lesser extent Luongo make. We missed this yesterday.

Every time I see Murphy I ask myself "How did he get a 10-12 million pound move to a Premier club?"  He doesn't tackle, he doesn't win headers, he gets knocked off the ball far too easily and he rarely delivers an end product. Lee offers more but I think Luongo should be in if fit but he seemingly has a problem finishing games.

28 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Every time I see Murphy I ask myself "How did he get a 10-12 million pound move to a Premier club?"  He doesn't tackle, he doesn't win headers, he gets knocked off the ball far too easily and he rarely delivers an end product. Lee offers more but I think Luongo should be in if fit but he seemingly has a problem finishing games.

Luongo had a superb Reach-esque fitness record prior to coming here. He’s a 90 minute week-in week-out player. I’m not worried long-term about his fitness. 

Unfortunately he’s been stop-start for us so far. He was under-used early season imo. I think he should have been our second-pick CM afterBannan, but Lee and Hutch were preferred. Even when we played 3 CMs he wasn’t a regular. 

I think our team needs a Bannan-Luongo midfield. I know most will disagree, because Hutchinson would be in most of our Xls.

10 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Possibly, with Borner in, you can see he brings the ball out of defence so that allows the midfield to push up higher slightly ...

We are also missing Luongo who drives forward with the ball

Problem with Bannan in midfield is he drops too deep and doesn't drive forward enough with the ball from there .. much better higher up with the ball but then Hutch isn't one to bring the ball on neither ...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

It was time and time again after the play off final.

But we did massively revamp our midfield since then, with the likes of Abdi, Boyd, Butterfield, Jones, Emanuelson, Buckley, Sougou, Melo, and McManaman 

:duntmatter: