We're likely to come in for Fox

Fox was always average before this season, I’ve never seen him struggling, he’s the one player in my time supporting the club where I didn’t understand the criticism.

These are the same fans who applaud donkeys like reda Johnson who forced the ball over the line at times, but ultimately was a pretty poor footballer and his career after us backed that up 

Fox is technically a sound full back 

26 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Fox was always average before this season, I’ve never seen him struggling, he’s the one player in my time supporting the club where I didn’t understand the criticism.

These are the same fans who applaud donkeys like reda Johnson who forced the ball over the line at times, but ultimately was a pretty poor footballer and his career after us backed that up 

How do you know they are the same fans ?

31 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Excellent post 

Fox has improved this season for several reasons. He is getting regular game time, knows he is first choice and under Monk it is obvious our defenders have been told to be more aggressive in their defending.

They are all over the opposition now and Fox needed to change because he was way too passive before. Looked like a rabbit in headlights sometimes previously.

The weakness in his game is that he is very slow to turn. Can’t afford to have balls played in behind him or inside him.

I would be surprised if any club looking at him didn’t see this as a significant weakness.

20 hours ago, Anlaby Owl said:

Doesn't matter if, as it seems likely; there will be a bidding war.  From my perspective a good player who has been badly coached.  On current form i can't think of many who are much better in this division.  

According to whoscored.com the best left backs this season have been

443408571_bestleftbacks.png.d369001d872074ece26fc8f9586701b2.png

These figures show 'key passes' ie chances created. the only other left back in the league to have created more chances from crosses is Ryan Manning.

Interesting to see Palmer up there. These are his stats as a left back. In his 8 games as a left back he only created one chance with a cross but 7 chances from 'other' ie from passes.

If Fox went, Palmer would be our next best option at left-back but then who would be right-back?

If we do lose Fox then I hope Penney can make the step up. I doubt it but then I doubted that Fox would ever make it as a Championship player. How wrong I was.

image.png

best left backs.png

Edited by davetherivelinowl
graphics not needed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I think saying he has been a stand out is taking it a bit far. He has been much improved but the bar he set for himself was very low and he has still made errors that have cost us goals. Bannan, Fletcher, Harris, Iorfa and Borner have been more 'stand-out' than he has.. 

He's playing his part in one of the best defensive units in the division.. more than holding his own.. that's the bar he's holding to..

21 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Was he?

I seem to recall (admittedly through comments on here) that Fox was Charlton's third choice left back, and that their fans were glad to see some mugs (us) pay to take him off their hands.

He was playing regularly for Charlton even if they didn’t like him (or anything about their club at the time). He was linked with some decent moves when he broke through there 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
14 hours ago, Sonny said:

£2 million for a player with some 6 months left on his contract and ‘i’ll drive him there myself’ aren’t really compatible statements. He’s either worth that much as a member of one of the best defences In the league or he’s not very good and worth very little.

Fair enough, let him go for 500K then...you are weird!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

You can’t say bad things about Reda. He’s a bloody cult hero, that’s blasphemy!!

7 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

To be fair to Reda, forcing the ball over the line is a pretty good skill to have...

Reda played 87 games for us and scored 19 goals and got 11 assists.

Fox just played his 88th games for as last week and he's scored 2 goals and got 5 assists, so even if he is technically sound, that's not worth the +23 goals that Reda brought in the same time.

On 20/12/2019 at 20:55, A12owl said:

Perhaps it was previous management that didn't use the right man management tactics with him.

If we cannot spend any money in January then we can't replace him if he goes. A 1 year extension is essential in our possible current predicament. 

Because we still have P&S issues. Sell Fox, save his wages and replace from within. Palmer to LB, Iorfa to RB 

On 20/12/2019 at 22:15, Mr. Tom said:

If he continues to improve at the rate he has this season, he’ll be a very good player in a season or two. I’d hang on to him unless the fee is £2.5m+.

Sadly I think quite a few emotional bridges with Owls fans have been - well, if not burned, then badly charred - during a couple of the most weirdly histrionic and moany years I’ve ever experienced on our terraces. Yes he’s had a few stinkers, but it was like half the crowd were just feeding off it. Weird.

He won’t be overly torn if he gets a solid offer I wouldn’t think. Be just the Wednesday way for him to go to WBA for a pittance and then they sell him for a fat profit 18 months later.

That’s what sell-on clauses are for