We're likely to come in for Fox

54 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Very subtle Sonny, ingenious the way you’ve used the correct context of the word “there” whilst quoting him but not drawing it to his attention .......... I for one am impressed!

:rolleyes: I had to edit my own sentence to get it right before posting. 

• Haha 1

Fox was never as bad as many on here made out in the past, but nor is he as good as many are making out in the present.

He's certainly improved, and the way that Monk sets us up seems to suit him, but he's hardly a standout player for us, is he?

I'd be happy to see him sign a new deal and continue as our first choice left-back for the rest of the season, but if plenty of other clubs really are interested and a sizeable offer comes in, then he won't be irreplaceable.

Bruce was able to bring in Börner and Iorfa for a grand total of £200k, so there are bargains out there if we can find them.

Unless the fee is extortionate (2.5m+) then I would just keep him until Summer even if it means he leaves on a free.

We are so thin at fullback that it wouldn’t be sensible to sell him, and a small cash injection won’t even touch the sides.

Better to keep him playing well and then re-evaluate our options in Summer...when we probably need to sign at least 2 full backs regardless of whether he leaves

Edited by McRightSide

Mystifies me that most Wednesday fans can't see that Fox is a good player at this level.

A left back as good in the air as most centre backs, good defensive positioning and got a good cross on him.

We go two decades with crap full backs, get a competent one and everyone hates him because he doesn't run forwards and overlap like like he's on FIFA all the time

6 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Mystifies me that most Wednesday fans can't see that Fox is a good player at this level.

A left back as good in the air as most centre backs, good defensive positioning and got a good cross on him.

We go two decades with crap full backs, get a competent one and everyone hates him because he doesn't run forwards and overlap like like he's on FIFA all the time

I think everyone in this thread has said he's decent. 

52 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

But it doesnt make ANY sense. WBA are nailed on for the Prem. Why invest in a decent but not spectacular Championship full back???

It does if he's free. 

26 years old, hardly injured, in form, they get promoted...if he turns out not good enough as a back up full back in the Prem, they can offload him for a profit.  

Edited by Suzuki_San

47 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

I didn't I still think hes bang average at best...sorry

It depends on the criteria you're judging him against, I suppose.

Fox has been average for much of his time here, but in our current setup he's shown that he's a pretty good traditional left-back for a Championship team.

He's never going to be much of an attacking outlet as many modern fullbacks seem to be, but he's defensively sound and is capable of some lovely deliveries from out wide.

1 hour ago, Suzuki_San said:

It does if he's free.

26 years old, hardly injured, in form, they get promoted...if he turns out not good enough as a back up full back in the Prem, they can offload him for a profit.  

Why would they be getting him for nothing? He'll be out of contract soon - but not while June.

If they want him in January they'll have to pay something - albeit less than if he had longer still to run on his contract.

Anyway, this is clearly his agent just talking his client up. If Fox does leave in January I'll be extremely surprised if it's to West Brom.

People who say ‘he’s not irreplaceable’ aren’t really taking much notice of the impending transfer embargo.

If we do sell Fox the money, more than likely, won’t/can’t be used to fund the replacement of equal/better standard. Unless we cash in quickly and have someone lined up straight away. That said. We likely won’t get the ‘right price for him’ if he’s out of contract soon & £1-2m doesn’t get you a lot these days.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

There’s been a lot of ‘average at best’ comments though. 

When he’s probs been one of our stand outs this season. 

I think saying he has been a stand out is taking it a bit far. He has been much improved but the bar he set for himself was very low and he has still made errors that have cost us goals. Bannan, Fletcher, Harris, Iorfa and Borner have been more 'stand-out' than he has.. 

1 hour ago, FlyingOwl said:

People who say ‘he’s not irreplaceable’ aren’t really taking much notice of the impending transfer embargo.

If we do sell Fox the money, more than likely, won’t/can’t be used to fund the replacement of equal/better standard. Unless we cash in quickly and have someone lined up straight away. That said. We likely won’t get the ‘right price for him’ if he’s out of contract soon & £1-2m doesn’t get you a lot these days.

It gets you 5 Iorfas, As many Borners and Harrises as you can find.

(OK I know what you mean)

TBF to the lad when he came he under-performed. Now he is performing. Positives are that he blocks a cross and puts in a decent cross. Also he's our most improved player but only because he started so far back.

I would have sold him no question until the beginning of this season. Now I'd keep but he's not irreplaceable.