We're likely to come in for Fox

So Fox is pretty much a mainstay in the third best defence in the league. Plays well with Harris and Bannan down the left,  with us sitting in play offs despite throwing away 6-8pts this season.... and many of the posts on here seemingly want to give him away.

Odd, really odd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

2 million and I’ll come back from Japan to drive him their myself. Fox has made huge strides this season but still nowhere near as good as people make out.

£2 million for a player with some 6 months left on his contract and ‘i’ll drive him there myself’ aren’t really compatible statements. He’s either worth that much as a member of one of the best defences In the league or he’s not very good and worth very little.

Tbf he has some good attributes. 

Brave, tall, decent left peg, good int air, hard in the tackle, generally good positonally.  Basically he's the anti Helan. I think if we could get Helan and Fox into a mutation chamber with Jeff Goldblum we'd have one hell of a chatty left back on our hands.

Add pace and innate confidence to Fox and you have the full package. As it is, because he lacks that he'd always get found out in the Prem so for this reason Mathew if WBA come in with any kind of 2m + offer I'd take it, bring Penney back and give yout a chance...

Guest The Horse

Not so long ago, we couldn't see past Michael Hector and only a handful of us had even heard of Iorfa before he came to us.

Point being, there's always another option if the manager is good enough.

Time to start selling if decent offers come in.

It was Monk that got the player out of Fox. He can do it again with the next full back.

10 hours ago, Anlaby Owl said:

Go on then name a possible replacement of equal or more ability whos available for less. 

Fullbacks of decent quality are in big demand because there aren't many.  Thats why we ended up signing moses and why palmer is in the scotland squad. 

I am not saying there are decent replacements there (although my football knowledge is hardly encyclopaedic). What I do know is that there is no way WBA or anyone would offer £4 million. 

He’s done better this season but I’m still not convinced. I look at his three years here and let’s be honest for the most part of that time , he’s struggled.

I still think full-back is an area where we still have problems on both sides TBH?

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Tbf he has some good attributes. 

Brave, tall, decent left peg, good int air, hard in the tackle, generally good positonally.  Basically he's the anti Helan. I think if we could get Helan and Fox into a mutation chamber with Jeff Goldblum we'd have one hell of a chatty left back on our hands.

Add pace and innate confidence to Fox and you have the full package. As it is, because he lacks that he'd always get found out in the Prem so for this reason Mathew if WBA come in with any kind of 2m + offer I'd take it, bring Penney back and give yout a chance...

Yeah, but with our luck Jeff Goldblum would merge Fox and Helan and we'd get the poo bits of both players. 

The positional sense of Helan. The pace of Fox. The heading ability of Helan. A willingness to run with the ball into blind alleys then across our own penalty area unable to lift his head to see a team mate available for a pass, but lacking pace to escape the attentions of opposition, before losing possession on the edge of our area.

i think I prefer Fox as he is. Good bits and bad bits.

Fox has improved significantly over the last few months. He's now a decent championship full back. I can see the likes of Notts Forest, Middlesbrough, Reading taking a look but WBA - really?

I suspect Fox's agent is drawing SWFC's attention that he's out of contract in June and he'll be discussing pre-contract deals with new clubs up after January, so we need to decide if we want him to stay next term.

Clearly, like many of the other players out of contract, this will be dependent on what league we are in nest season. Fox's value will increase with say a 2/3 yr deal, and is part of a promotion winning team. On the other hand, he'd be a useful squad player should we end up with a point deduction in the championship. With his confidence and performances improving, I can't see a down side to offering him a 2 yr deal.

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

£2 million for a player with some 6 months left on his contract and ‘i’ll drive him there myself’ aren’t really compatible statements. He’s either worth that much as a member of one of the best defences In the league or he’s not very good and worth very little.

Very subtle Sonny, ingenious the way you’ve used the correct context of the word “there” whilst quoting him but not drawing it to his attention .......... I for one am impressed!

• Haha 1

Doesn't seem like he's been here 2 mins and his contract is nearly up.

I never thought Fox was as bad as being made out on here but if his contract is up and we have a chance to sell then it needs to be done. Baggies would do us a big favour if they took him now as it's an opportunity he won't turn down.

13 hours ago, Baggiehy said:

Well because of How well Bilic is doing so well and I think Ferguson might be be Spurs or Palace for a big fee. I think he's getting backed. 4 players with a Striker and Left Back priorities Bilic rates Fox. We'll see what happens

You will get a shock if you expect him to be anywhere near the levels or type of player Ferguson is. Not knocking Fox, but all he is is a half decent and consistent left back where only 20% of his game is getting forward and occasionally crossing. He's quite good at it and with 6 months left on his deal is only probably worth about £1-2M maximum. 

Crikey, a couple of months ago he was the first one to be booted out of the door when his contract was up. Now people are talking in terms of millions for him? Yep he’s improved massively, but it was from a very low base line. Personally I wouldn’t offer him a new deal in the summer, as I think we can do, and need much better.