Nuhiu

19 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Our goals per minute with him on the pitch has always been higher than without him and our goals conceded per minute when he's on the pitch is lower than without him.

Our biggest weekness is those games when we can't keep the ball in the opposition half and our striker(s) is not connected to midfield. We all know them, the sluggish awful games where the ball keeps coming back.

They happen far less when Nuhiu plays, always have. Our attempts to improve on him over the years have cost us 20+ million quid and arguably not improved on him. He always ends up back in the squad.

That's because he can't be bettered. He's an unpredictable enigma, and that's his greatest attacking threat 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

Fletcher and Nuhiu as a pair will be a handful for anybody due to their sheer presence. With that in mind, you’d have to think they’d be our most effective pair. With Winnall waiting if we need a change up 

In all fairness you can have two strikers on the bench now. Rhodes might finally get on the pitch, as he did on Tuesday and who knows what might finally happen then. 

He is a player that divides opinion more than most. For me he isn’t the best player we have but he gives you everything when he plays. He is remarkably good with his feet too. I’ll always be grateful too for that debut goal.

also over the years he has been the consummate professional, at a time we had half the squad injured he was always available. He is a credit to professional footballers in my opinion, when you look at the antics of others

eveey manager we have had has turned to him which speaks volumes. 

one of my favourite players for some time.

• Like 3

Has any Wednesday player in the last 20 years ever been so analysed after every game and talked about so much... if he starts and doesn’t score it’s like we need to talk about how he worked hard and played for the team, and if he scores as a sub late on he’s a modern day legend.. he really is a phenomenon.

13 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer said:

He is a player that divides opinion more than most. For me he isn’t the best player we have but he gives you everything when he plays. He is remarkably good with his feet too. I’ll always be grateful too for that debut goal.

also over the years he has been the consummate professional, at a time we had half the squad injured he was always available. He is a credit to professional footballers in my opinion, when you look at the antics of others

eveey manager we have had has turned to him which speaks volumes. 

one of my favourite players for some time.

And loads of opposing managers have rung his praises too, FFS. :Chansiri:

I was also a bit surprised he started, but it was a masterstroke. Happy to go with him and Fletch for any teams like Boro with centre backs who are weak.

Really surprised Boro didn't start with Ayala, we didn't get as much joy in the second half when Boro had him actually contesting the high balls and not letting Fletch and Nuhiu get it all their own way.

43 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

That's because he can't be bettered. He's an unpredictable enigma, and that's his greatest attacking threat 

Think it was McCarthy who said how can you defend against him when he doesn't know what he's going to do next

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, darra said:

Think it was McCarthy who said how can you defend against him when he doesn't know what he's going to do next

I think McCarthy does him an injustice. His legs aren't quick, but his mind is. He knows exactly what he's doing, even if it appears to be in slow motion, he's often one step ahead of the defender.

I listened to a stream with Boro commentary, and they couldn't praise him enough.

Boro just couldn't handle him. It's not just the fact he's strong, and a nuisance, it's his intelligence. The way he dropped deep and linked the play, allowed space for Fletcher and runners from midfield to exploit.

He's phenomenally underrated and under appreciated by a lot of our fanbase. And when you hear other teams comment on his threat, it emphasises just how important he is to us.

Yes, it'd be great if he got more goals. But for a player who's content been very much a squad player, for what he brings and what he costs, you'd struggle to find a better alternative. And history shows, seven managers, god knows how many strikers signed to replace him...you can't. 

He might not be everybody's cup of tea, and I get that,...but he's such a valuable asset. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I listened to a stream with Boro commentary, and they couldn't praise him enough.

Boro just couldn't handle him. It's not just the fact he's strong, and a nuisance, it's his intelligence. The way he dropped deep and linked the play, allowed space for Fletcher and runners from midfield to exploit.

He's phenomenally underrated and under appreciated by a lot of our fanbase. And when you hear other teams comment on his threat, it emphasises just how important he is to us.

Yes, it'd be great if he got more goals. But for a player who's content been very much a squad player, for what he brings and what he costs, you'd struggle to find a better alternative. And history shows, seven managers, god knows how many strikers signed to replace him...you can't. 

He might not be everybody's cup of tea, and I get that,...but he's such a valuable asset. 

I'm not fan of his but you make an excellent case for him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Our goals per minute with him on the pitch has always been higher than without him and our goals conceded per minute when he's on the pitch is lower than without him.

Our biggest weekness is those games when we can't keep the ball in the opposition half and our striker(s) is not connected to midfield. We all know them, the sluggish awful games where the ball keeps coming back.

They happen far less when Nuhiu plays, always have. Our attempts to improve on him over the years have cost us 20+ million quid and arguably not improved on him. He always ends up back in the squad.

The people that have continued to be dismissive of him will struggle to get their had around your opening point .. not everyone understands how football works.

Unfortunately 

Thanks

• Like 1