Nuhiu

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Denis Bergkamp at Arsenal 423 games  / 120 Goals or 3.5 games per goal. Can’t be bothered to check the assists but I will bet you my mortgage Bergkamp has more assists per game than Atdhe. 

Atdhe at the Owls 196 games / 35 goals or 5.5 games per goal. 

If it is naive to assess a striker based on goals and assists what would you in your infinite Dunning-Kruger wisdom suggest should be used as the correct way to judge strikers?

How would you rate a striker with the following year by year statistics? 

34+5 appearances (10 goals)

26+9 (5)

30+16 (14)

32+9 (7)

29+9 (5)

29+9 (8)

12+19 (3)

Because that's how Bergkamp ended his Arsenal career. I'm not criticising him by the way, he was obviously a tremendous player for a long time. He was a big factor in Thierry Henry's impressive scoring feats. But that's the point. There's so much more to being a forward than shinning a two-yarder into an empty net every couple of games. Do you judge midfielders by the number of successful dribbles, defenders by tackles or goalkeepers by saves? In all the arguments about whether Reach, Palmer, Odubajo, Bannan, Hutchinson or whoever else should be in the team, how many similar statistics are being used in those debates? It's so superficial; so lacking in context.

If you want to slavishly adhere to a simplistic number with no consideration for an alternative there's not much I can do. Is Teemu Pukki better than Jamie Vardy, Callum Wilson, Harry Kane, Sadio Mane and Mo Salah? Because that's what the Premier League chart tells us. The year before last were Bobby Reid, Martyn Waghorn and Leon Clarke in the top six best strikers at Championship level? What are all the goals Jordan Rhodes has piled up in his career worth to us right now? In 1990/1 when he scored 32 times, was David Hirst suddenly hopeless when he had a run of 1 goal in 17 league games in the middle of that season? The last time we had someone score 20 goals in a season (Neil Mellor) we finished 15th. When we finished 4th and perhaps should have been promoted a couple of years ago, our top scorer had a modest 12.

Like with any other player, watch them and judge their capabilities and how much of an overall contribution they are making as a whole. Goals at one end are defended as a unit; why should it be so different at the other? If, like Bergkamp, you are playing your part in the team's success (an unbeaten title season, Premier League runner-up 4 times, 3 FA Cup wins, 1 FA Cup runner-up, a Champions League final... and... err... 3 Charity/Community Shields during that period listed above), who cares how many goals he gets himself?

• Thanks 2

On 02/10/2019 at 09:09, Ian said:

My comment wasn’t about last nights team it was about a poster saying he wouldn’t swap Nuhiu for anyone.......but to answer your question I’d be giving Rhodes a run of 5 games from the off.....last night partnered by Winnall but Harris down the middle with Murphy out wide would also be an option.....I’d also prefer Luongo in the team to Nuhiu....even his biggest fans admit he does most of his good work in or around the halfway line so let’s have a midfielder there instead, one who might occasionally hit the target as well

Just for the Nuhiu fans @Belfast Owl @asteener1867 @Lawrie Madden @DJMortimer et al ......Monk obviously knows who on here to listen to ;-)

Edited by Ian
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ian said:

Just for the Nuhiu fans @Belfast Owl @asteener1867 @Lawrie Madden @DJMortimer et al ......Monk obviously knows who on here to listen to ;-)

So why did he leave Rhodes out entirely? You were urging him to be starting the next 5 games despite his impressive current form of 1 goal in 10+8 appearances.

Nice try.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DJMortimer said:

So why did he leave Rhodes out entirely? You were urging him to be starting the next 5 games despite his impressive current form of 1 goal in 10+8 appearances.

Nice try.

That’s a surprise....I thought you’d have more grace in defeat

41 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Cool story bro.

AN.jpg

talismannoun, plural tal·is·mans.

1. a stone, ring, or other object, engraved with figures or characters supposed to possess occult powers and worn as an amulet or charm.
  2. any amulet or charm.
  3. anything whose presence exercises a remarkable or powerful influence on human feelings or actions.

Origin: 1630–40; < French or Spanish  Arabicṭilasm < Greek télesma payment, equivalent to teles- (variant stem of teleîn to complete, perform) + -ma noun suffix of result

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Are you 6 years old?

How graceful were you in the last home game when Nuhiu came on and got the equaliser? 

We won; I'm happy with that.

Did he?.... must have missed that.....how did the penalty shoot out go?.....who’ve we got in the next round?

36 minutes ago, sage owl said:

That's poor even from you.  Ham Shankar of the highest  order. 

What, not letting 100% incorrect facts slip through.....and the old personal abuse to finish as a sign of having nothing intelligent to add to the debate