Wednesday -V- Everton OMDT (LC 3rd rnd)

Just now, cognacbarnowl said:

• Win the next three and Monk'll be a Wednesday legend. Don't win the next three and give the oppos 75% possession and the knives will be out and scraping across the whetting stone, FFS, :bullen:

It's like when the neighbours pop in cognac..you save your best wine for the evening when your respected friends answer the invite..

Can safely say we play against similar opposition next season in the league cup or this season in the fa cup and I won't bother going.Monk wasn't bothered about giving it a go tonight that was obvious from the team he selected, disappointing tbh!

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I totally accept your view.. but you must have known Monk wouldn't have done that..he was never going to play his best team..no channy..

I think a lot of it is down to the fact that a good proportion of posters on here remember a time when these cup competitions were contested by two full first teams. The football clubs and players back then were more involved in and with the community because a good % of them would be local lads and supporters had more connection with them. IMO the football back then was more enjoyable for numerous reasons. Hard centre forwards having battles with hard centre halfs. Skillful wingers getting to the byeline and whippig in the crosses. Two usually good ball playing inside forwards who would get you on your feet, (but we were always on our feet on THE KOP ).

And of course our own hard defenders knocking their forwards about a bit, (lot ).

Even when we lost a match we could often say, "yeah, but the better team won. Even if the refs name was swarbrick or robinson", lol ) and the cup games were very often end to end games with plenty of excitement. Half the time now, watching football is like watching a feckin pantomime what with the crazy decisions given by refs and the antics of players falling to the ground like they've been shot when someone whistles in the crowd.

Us old 'uns are just being nostalgic and remember what we remember as better times.  Please don't take this away from us Costy. We ain't got much left to be happy with, FFS lol  (and thanks for that, I made some reyt dosh on that copyright you gave me,FFS. Not least because I make good use of it myself.

UTO Costy. UTO

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Good run out for the boy Luongo. 

No amount of training will have done him as much good as a good run tonight in proper match action. 

Did he play well, Snoots ?In fact, how did the whole team perform seeing as they were all strangers to each other on the pitch ? Serious questions, FFS.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Did he play well, Snoots ?In fact, how did the whole team perform seeing as they were all strangers to each other on the pitch ? Serious questions, FFS.

He's been bright and lively. Some folks will have wanted to see more from him and £350k Pelupessy against Evertons £30m midfield trio of Iwobi,  Delph and Davies. But I thought they were fine. And in the case of our Auzzie acquisition I think he's gone someway to giving Monk something to think about.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Fair enough.. I'll be excited for Middlesbrough.. Wigan Hull etc.. I think the championship is the most compelling tournament.. just my view..

I agree, the premiership is all about being in it and winning the odd game, survival.

The championship, is the most exciting league. Just be nice to win something, that's all.

10 hours ago, Watto said:

Can safely say we play against similar opposition next season in the league cup or this season in the fa cup and I won't bother going.Monk wasn't bothered about giving it a go tonight that was obvious from the team he selected, disappointing tbh!

This is what i and 4 other season ticket holders were saying, until the club takes the competition seriously then the fans will.