Wednesday -V- Everton OMDT (LC 3rd rnd)

1 minute ago, debram said:

It would be nice to go on a serious cup run or even win it, monk had no intentions of that tonight. 

We missed 3 sitters, Winnall 2 and Iorfa, it could have been a different result especially if that first chance before Everton scored had been put away. 

54 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Nobody cares about the carabo cup or what ever it's called these days..the championship is like the champions League compared to this..stop living in the past..

Everton cared, hardly dropped a player and brought a good following.. We should play our best players all the time, maybe 1 or 2 changes but not wholesale ones. It creates momentum to the next game, togetherness and understanding like in 91.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bradowl said:

We missed 3 sitters, Winnall 2 and Iorfa, it could have been a different result especially if that first chance before Everton scored had been put away. 

Agree if that chance had been scored it would have damaged their confidence and risen ours, was a game changer even if so early on. 

2 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

Everton cared, hardly dropped a player and brought a good following.. We should play our best players all the time, maybe 1 or 2 changes but not wholesale ones. It creates momentum to the next game, togetherness and understanding like in 91.

It's not 91...it hasn't been for quite a while..

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

As I said earlier.. each to their own.. question for you..did you expect to go down and see our best 11 going hammer and tongues at Everton with 3 games in 8 days looming?

Yep each to their own, yes I would, they are highly paid pros, its their job, anyone struggling can be taken off, Harris and fletch were put at risk by being brought on so what's the difference. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

We've had one vision as far as the cups are concerned for years, glad it has worked out for us.....

It's a new manager with huge responsibility to get us up... you're a good poster.. I've seen you know a bit about football.. what would you have done in that game?

1 minute ago, debram said:

Yep each to their own, yes I would, they are highly paid pros, its their job, anyone struggling can be taken off, Harris and fletch were put at risk by being brought on so what's the difference. 

Not 95 minutes of working their c*ck off..chucked em on as a low risk gamble is my guess..

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

It's a new manager with huge responsibility to get us up... you're a good poster.. I've seen you know a bit about football.. what would you have done in that game?

To be honest I would have done similar but perhaps not changed the back 4 or maybe played a centre midfield 3 to give us a solid platform against a PL side playing with 3 attacking midfielders..

No surprise to see Fletcher rested but somewhat surprising to see him and Harris come on and risked with us 2 goals down.

As I said, it's not a disgrace to go out but it is disappointing, especially to miss a good early chance and then to see the game effectively get away from us after 10 minutes against a side low on confidence. Just think its a bit blase to think it doesn't matter at all. Surely it would have been better for the fringe players to make a good impression by standing out and making more a game of it and giving Monk something to consider with his selections. 

1 minute ago, full fathom five said:

Winning football games is a good habit to get in to, you play your best team to give you the best chance of getting into this habit.

So you'd put your best team out against a hungry premier team on a Tuesday night to give your team the best chance of competing in a 3 game run in one of the hardest leagues in the world...to progress in a cup that few care about?

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be honest I would have done similar but perhaps not changed the back 4 or maybe played a centre midfield 3 to give us a solid platform against a PL side playing with 3 attacking midfielders..

No surprise to see Fletcher rested but somewhat surprising to see him and Harris come on and risked with us 2 goals down.

As I said, it's not a disgrace to go out but it is disappointing, especially to miss a good early chance and then to see the game effectively get away from us after 10 minutes against a side low on confidence. Just think its a bit blase to think it doesn't matter at all. Surely it would have been better for the fringe players to make a good impression by standing out and making more a game of it and giving Monk something to consider with his selections. 

The fringe players did themselves no favours tonight..

Don't think I learned very much from that tonight. We were lively at the start then unpicked by two goals with movement and finish that fortunately you tend not to see at our level. We created more reasonable chances than I'd probably expected but we were always going out. No one staked a claim while equally no one had a mare. 

7 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

So you'd put your best team out against a hungry premier team on a Tuesday night to give your team the best chance of competing in a 3 game run in one of the hardest leagues in the world...to progress in a cup that few care about?

Only change i would have made would have been if it was enforced, would have played my best team for 60/70 minutes and taken it from there. That way you give yourself the best chance of winning and the fans don't come away feeling ripped off. As i said games is a great habit to get into, losing them with a whimper isn't.

1 minute ago, full fathom five said:

Only change i would have made would have been if it was enforced, would have played my best team for 60/70 minutes and taken it from there. That way you give yourself the best chance of winning and the fans don't come away feeling ripped off. As i said games is a great habit to get into, losing them with a whimper isn't.

I totally accept your view.. but you must have known Monk wouldn't have done that..he was never going to play his best team..no channy..