SAG / SCC. Write to your Councillor or MP

49 minutes ago, Loxley Owl said:

I wrote to Gill Furniss, MP for Hillsborough, last weekend. She's my MP as I live just off Leppings Lane, and obviously also the MP for the stadium.

I got a reply from one of her staff essentially stating that she couldn't do anything and that I should write to the councillors.

She may not be a labour MP for much longer, she may be looking for a new safe lib seat soon.:laugh:

Her response was typical BS of course, she could quite easily ask councillors on your behalf...or at least pretend to be interested, they are supposed to work for you.

Tbf, Blunkett was always available and replied with his own thoughts, even if it was out of his hands.

2 hours ago, Loxley Owl said:

I wrote to Gill Furniss, MP for Hillsborough, last weekend. She's my MP as I live just off Leppings Lane, and obviously also the MP for the stadium.

I got a reply from one of her staff essentially stating that she couldn't do anything and that I should write to the councillors.

That woman is an absolute waste of oxygen.

22 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

A list of their names and addresses on here would be a lot more fruitful.

Have you tried your local councillor yet L. Give it a try it may help.

I am not sure if My Cumbrian MP or councillors care much but in for a penny.....

Edited by Lombado

CB
Clive Betts <officeofclivebettsmp@parliament.uk>
Mon 02/09/2019 14:08
  • You

Dear Neville Wright

Thank you very much for raising concerns about the prohibition notice served on Wednesday with regard to home fans exiting the ground at the Leppings Lane End.

I have had a number of similar emails from Wednesday supporters and I have therefore written to the police and the City Council raising a number of questions that have been raised in the emails I have received.   I enclose a copy of the email I have sent.   I will of course get back to you with a response as soon as I get one but I am more than happy to have any further comments from you in the meantime or particular points if you feel I have not adequately covered the points you ae concerned about in the email I have sent.

Yours sincerely

CLIVE BETTS 

MP for Sheffield South East

To: John Mothersole, Julie Dore,

cc Deputy CC Mark Roberts,  Alan Billings, Lindsay Taylor, Secretary SWFC

Dear John and Julie

I am writing with regard to the prohibition notice which has been put on Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough Stadium with regard to home fans exiting at the Leppings Lane End of the ground.   I have had a number of emails now, some from constituents, some from residents in other parts of Sheffield, all of whom are Wednesday supporters and as their emails, which I am copying to you explain, many of them are regulars at the game and therefore see at first hand the crowd arrangements on a regular basis.

There are a number of concerns that have been expressed.   One is the inconvenience now which home fans are being put to, some of whom have to walk to the Kop End of the ground at Penistone Road then walk right back to Leppings Lane.   That is obviously all right and very convenient for some more mobile younger people but not necessarily for people who may find that length of walk a challenge and little consideration appears to have been given to them in this process.  

Secondly, there is the whole issue about whether the prohibition is necessary at all.   The emails say that people who go to the game on a regular basis see the arrangements and as far as they are concerned they operate perfectly smoothly and have done over many years without any significant problems.   Why is it necessary therefore to bring these new arrangements in?  

The third issue is on what basis the prohibition order has been issues.   Is it true that the only basis on which the police acted was the report that they requested from Aston University.   If that is the case should not a bit more thorough research have been done before a decision of this magnitude was taken?   It really is difficult to understand why one group of researchers unfamiliar with the ground doing one survey of one game should lead to this sort of action.

Fourthly, in terms of the logistics of that end of the stadium, I think we can all appreciate it is not necessarily ideal.   Could you explain how it is different to the Bramall Lane end of the Bramall Lane Ground where away supporters go but home supporters come out of the same end of the ground?  The amount of room at the Bramall Lane end is just as constrained, in fact probably more constrained, than that on the concourse at Leppings Lane spreading across the road.   Obviously that arrangement is restricted if coaches are drawn up across the concourse and what has been said by some individuals is that the only problems at Leppings Lane have occurred when the police have insisted on coaches coming that close.   But I come back to the point surely the Bramall Lane end at Bramall Lane is just as congested and yet away fans come out in the same point as home fans at that ground.

Finally, a contrast between the way that police have acted with the City Council following the complaints following the Derby game between Wednesday and United last season.   There is a feeling that the police have acted in this way to cover their own inadequacies on the evening and there was widespread concern about the way the police handled it and I think the police have accepted some responsibility for that.   Nevertheless, that has resulted in an investigation, a report being commissioned and immediate action taken despite the fact that the Club has said they do not believe that this is appropriate.   I contrast this with the complaints that were made, and I certainly made them on behalf of people about this crushing that occurred outside Bramall Lane before the Derby last season with Wednesday.     I have never had a proper response from the Council who have simply accepted that the Club said nothing needs to be done.   There is therefore a distinct contrast between Wednesday saying there is no problem but the Council and the police deciding to take action, and United saying there was no problem and the police and the Council apparently just accepting it and no further investigation being carried out.   Indeed, I have not had a reply from the Council’s Chief Executive to the last three emails I have sent giving more information about the concerns that were expressed to me on that occasion.

I look forward to a reply as I am sure you understand that this is not just me raising these issues but the emails I have sent demonstrate the widespread concern and bemusement of many Wednesday supporters at the action that has been taken.

Having just drafted this email I received further information from a long standing friend, John Colby, who is also a Sheffield United supporter.   He is drawing attention to the problems outside the Bramall Lane End of the Ground with the lack of space and that here away and home supporters are let out of the same side of the ground exactly the problem which has been addressed with the prohibition order at Hillsborough.   I do think these issues need to be looked at seriously.   There is a very strong feeling that the police and the Council have got all this wrong, I got lots of comments at Preston last Saturday from Wednesday away supporters who go regularly, all of whom are saying essentially that the decision is a wrong one and needs looking at again.

I look forward to your response on both the issues of the prohibition notice at Hillsborough and also the concerns I have raised about Bramall Lane in the past and are now being raised by John Colby which I have never had a proper response to.

Yours sincerely

Clive Betts MP

Sheffield South East

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear John and Julie

I am writing with regard to the prohibition notice which has been put on Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough Stadium with regard to home fans exiting at the Leppings Lane End of the ground.   I have had a number of emails now, some from constituents, some from residents in other parts of Sheffield, all of whom are Wednesday supporters and as their emails, which I am copying to you explain, many of them are regulars at the game and therefore see at first hand the crowd arrangements on a regular basis.

There are a number of concerns that have been expressed.   One is the inconvenience now which home fans are being put to, some of whom have to walk to the Kop End of the ground at Penistone Road then walk right back to Leppings Lane.   That is obviously all right and very convenient for some more mobile younger people but not necessarily for people who may find that length of walk a challenge and little consideration appears to have been given to them in this process.  

Secondly, there is the whole issue about whether the prohibition is necessary at all.   The emails say that people who go to the game on a regular basis see the arrangements and as far as they are concerned they operate perfectly smoothly and have done over many years without any significant problems.   Why is it necessary therefore to bring these new arrangements in?  

The third issue is on what basis the prohibition order has been issues.   Is it true that the only basis on which the police acted was the report that they requested from Aston University.   If that is the case should not a bit more thorough research have been done before a decision of this magnitude was taken?   It really is difficult to understand why one group of researchers unfamiliar with the ground doing one survey of one game should lead to this sort of action.

Fourthly, in terms of the logistics of that end of the stadium, I think we can all appreciate it is not necessarily ideal.   Could you explain how it is different to the Bramall Lane end of the Bramall Lane Ground where away supporters go but home supporters come out of the same end of the ground?  The amount of room at the Bramall Lane end is just as constrained, in fact probably more constrained, than that on the concourse at Leppings Lane spreading across the road.   Obviously that arrangement is restricted if coaches are drawn up across the concourse and what has been said by some individuals is that the only problems at Leppings Lane have occurred when the police have insisted on coaches coming that close.   But I come back to the point surely the Bramall Lane end at Bramall Lane is just as congested and yet away fans come out in the same point as home fans at that ground.

Finally, a contrast between the way that police have acted with the City Council following the complaints following the Derby game between Wednesday and United last season.   There is a feeling that the police have acted in this way to cover their own inadequacies on the evening and there was widespread concern about the way the police handled it and I think the police have accepted some responsibility for that.   Nevertheless, that has resulted in an investigation, a report being commissioned and immediate action taken despite the fact that the Club has said they do not believe that this is appropriate.   I contrast this with the complaints that were made, and I certainly made them on behalf of people about this crushing that occurred outside Bramall Lane before the Derby last season with Wednesday.     I have never had a proper response from the Council who have simply accepted that the Club said nothing needs to be done.   There is therefore a distinct contrast between Wednesday saying there is no problem but the Council and the police deciding to take action, and United saying there was no problem and the police and the Council apparently just accepting it and no further investigation being carried out.   Indeed, I have not had a reply from the Council’s Chief Executive to the last three emails I have sent giving more information about the concerns that were expressed to me on that occasion.

I look forward to a reply as I am sure you understand that this is not just me raising these issues but the emails I have sent demonstrate the widespread concern and bemusement of many Wednesday supporters at the action that has been taken.

Having just drafted this email I received further information from a long standing friend, John Colby, who is also a Sheffield United supporter.   He is drawing attention to the problems outside the Bramall Lane End of the Ground with the lack of space and that here away and home supporters are let out of the same side of the ground exactly the problem which has been addressed with the prohibition order at Hillsborough.   I do think these issues need to be looked at seriously.   There is a very strong feeling that the police and the Council have got all this wrong, I got lots of comments at Preston last Saturday from Wednesday away supporters who go regularly, all of whom are saying essentially that the decision is a wrong one and needs looking at again.

I look forward to your response on both the issues of the prohibition notice at Hillsborough and also the concerns I have raised about Bramall Lane in the past and are now being raised by John Colby which I have never had a proper response to.

Yours sincerely

Clive Betts MP

Sheffield South East

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Dear John and Julie

Yours sincerely

Clive Betts MP

Sheffield South East

Waits for the spelling and grammar police lol

• Haha 1

Not a big fan of Betts but have to say well done. One concern is that the council have ignored him on three occasions previously. Wonder if they will respond this time and back down. Makes you wonder if mother sole is a blade?

I have sent a 4 page letter today to the Council (John Mothersole) copied to Julie Dore, Stephen Watson, Alan Billings, Clive Betts, Angela Smith and Dejphon Chansiri. 

It’s on the same lines as Clive Betts’ letter. Well said Jon Coulby my friend.

Lets see if there is any reply. 

Edited by Andrew Robinson
  • Like 1

I got a reply from Mothersoles office stating they couldn’t comment in detail to the points I raised due to the appeal ... the damn cheek of it as it was Mothersoles remarks to the Sheffield Star following the Luton game that prompted my email to his office 

Edited by Hirstys Salopettes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/08/2019 at 19:01, Loxley Owl said:

Yet she can go on a demo about "Free Kashmir". How many constituents has she got there?  Absolute disgrace.  Show her the door at the next election.

12 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Yet she can go on a demo about "Free Kashmir". How many constituents has she got there?  Absolute disgrace.  Show her the door at the next election.

As we all know well they are only in it for one person themselves.

They will not do a thing until they realise their seat is at risk.

Well done Mr. Betts