World Cup 66 KOP

18 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

I was at the Germany v Switzerland game on the Kop...we were all supporting the Swiss...that went well lol 

Still got that paper flag on a stick they gave out and remember going round the ground bizarrely  shouting Hopp Schwiss ( or something similar)

28 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

never realised it until now that the germans played their games in a city only just over 2 decades earlier they had extensively bombed.

They played in 4 such cities in 1966 - Sheffield, Birmingham, Liverpool and London

Hope they at least visited Stan Boardman's chippy to say sorry

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Still got that paper flag on a stick they gave out and remember going round the ground bizarrely  shouting Hopp Schwiss ( or something similar)

Yeah Hopp Suisse...and the cowbells that some of their supporters were carrying lol 

16 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Yeah Hopp Suisse...and the cowbells that some of their supporters were carrying lol 

.....and the lederhosen.

It was good to see the city making an effort ..... with the flagpoles, and shoving a few tables out the back of Debenhams to give it a ‘ continental’ feel.

• Like 1

great pic and view. I sit on the north stand and about half way up so this view is very familar. Of course lots has changed since then. But the view between the Kop and south stand hasn't. The tree and the side of the terrace house is still visible from where i sit. Also a little snippit of sheffield behind it. you can see all the people desperate to get off to watch tipping point or whatever all hanging around there before the final whistle, just waiting to see if anything else does happen, whilst Nuhiu is holding people off at the corner flag. It would be nice to think we would host another game at a world cup, but i don't think that is happening, plus probably would be sold to corporate oil companies and credit card company execs and not actual fans.

God i hope we don't have to move because our stadium is flipping brilliant, and pics like this is the reminder.

Guest addedtime
10 hours ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Hillsborough hasn't changed that much since then :ph34r:

Correct. It's still my favourite place to be.

1 minute ago, addedtime said:

My work desktop.

Capture.JPG

That's pretty much the view I remember from my earliest games at Hillsborough around 1981 when we used to sit in the West Stand.

Apart from the cooling towers. And the scoreboard. And the 22 internationals on the pitch.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, addedtime said:

My work desktop.

Capture.JPG

Notice that

On 13/08/2019 at 17:45, northeastowl said:

The stand is a lot bigger than the concourse. 

SAG had closed the South Stand terracing at the request of SYP.  

The police, following advice from an idiot from Manchester, also requested that the Kop, in the interests of safety, should only be exited via the Leppings Lane gates.  This would, hopefully, reduce the risk of accidents caused by large crowds being forced onto Penistone Road at the end of the game.

Uruguay played some brilliant footy in the first half hour.  They hit the underside of the bar and should have had a penalty before Germany scored.  But they fell apart towards the end.  I'd never seen so many flags at a football match.  And no bother that I can recall.