In my opinion he's ruled himself out.

Can't ignore how well fletcher, reach and Harris and Murphy have played but he doesn't fit the system. 

He's made it known he doesn't like playing left and he can't play as a lone frontman like fletcher so not sure where he goes. 

Most pleasing thing is that we have matured away from building the teams shape to suit him. We're overall as a team better than that now and he's no longer the main man. 

Long season. He'll get his chance but he won't just get in cos he scored that wonder goal against norwich. 

Edited by poite

On 10/08/2019 at 20:27, Dan™ said:

He'll still pop up with some important goals this season, I'm sure of that.

Yeah it will be when we're on Sky and the pundits will all rave on about how important he is for us when he's not played most of the season

He would fit the system we are currently playing albeit he would play the wide role differently to our current speed merchants. Also when he was at his best he was good at the pressing game but needs to be 100% fit.

However he appears to have lost his enthusiasm and looks like the outstanding case is weighing on him.

I understand while he has appealed as it is about his reputation but it also means the issue is going to drag on a lot longer.

A fit , firing FF would be a great asset to the team but he is not that at the moment and there is a danger he won’t be again.

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:27, deano said:

It's a long old season, he will get a chance. 

This. He will still be key as he always is. Just have to bide his time to get a game then take the chance when it comes.

We now have options and quality ones at that. Imagine looking at the game Saturday thinking were picking a side without Forestieri & Bannan, neither of which are injured.

We have our young upcoming Keeper in the team of the week.

Our ten million pound striker itching to get on the pitch and prove he can still do it.

Over the long season all these players will play and will be important, just at the moment its unfortunate that they cant get in the side.

And yes I am advocating putting Bannan on the bench Saturday and keeping it the same..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poite said:

In my opinion he's ruled himself out.

Can't ignore how well fletcher, reach and Harris and Murphy have played but he doesn't fit the system. 

He's made it known he doesn't like playing left and he can't play as a lone frontman like fletcher so not sure where he goes. 

Most pleasing thing is that we have matured away from building the teams shape to suit him. We're overall as a team better than that now and he's no longer the main man. 

Long season. He'll get his chance but he won't just get in cos he scored that wonder goal against norwich. 

By contrast, Murphy when asked if he prefers right or left, answered don’t care as long as I am in the team.

Thats the attitude we want. 

Edited by Holmowl

Assuming FF did say he didn’t want to play on the left, and it was Carlos who reported he had said it, we didn’t hear it from FF himself we are talking about a completely game now.

The reference was to playing wide left in Carlos’s ill fated 442 system.

It is obvious that is not a position for FF . 

Playing on the left hand side of a front 3 is a different ball game and a position he has played previously.

However it is irrelevant unless he gets his mojo back.

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Assuming FF did say he didn’t want to play on the left, and it was Carlos who reported he had said it, we didn’t hear it from FF himself we are talking about a completely game now.

Playing on the left hand side of a front 3 is a different ball game and a position he has played previously.

I think he is being miss quoted.  If I recall he said something along the lines of him struggling with the defensive duties playing, essentially, left midfield in a 4-4-2.  

As you say playing on the left of a front three in a 4-3-3 is a very different proposition and one in which he is ideally suited.

13 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I think he is being miss quoted.  If I recall he said something along the lines of him struggling with the defensive duties playing, essentially, left midfield in a 4-4-2.  

As you say playing on the left of a front three in a 4-3-3 is a very different proposition and one in which he is ideally suited.

20 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Whatever he said I agree it’s irrelevant now as we have left 442 and moved to 433.

I too think FF will be at his best wide of a three, but he may have to play right more than left this season. Bullen said after Barnsley that he doesn’t want us to be cutting inside all the time.

I think and hope we will see Reach, Harris, Murphy and FF swapping sides and adding further to the difficulties we pose to oppo managers and fullbacks.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Whatever he said I agree it’s irrelevant now as we have left 442 and moved to 433.

I too think FF will be at his best wide of a three, but he may have to play right more than left this season. Bullen said after Barnsley that he doesn’t want us to be cutting inside all the time.

I think and hope we will see Reach, Harris, Murphy and FF swapping sides and adding further to the difficulties we pose to oppo managers and fullbacks.

I think FF is a very versatile player so he should be able to swich sides no problem.  I would also like to see more of that tbh (players switching wings during a game).

4-4-2 is dead long live 4-3-3!!

18 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

And Fletcher.

And Westwood.

And Hutchinson.

And even Antonio before that.

Antonio was obviously our best player and Stuart Gray threw him under a bus by saying that players like him and Helan can lose a manger his job while a manger can rely on players like Maghoma lol

Carlos was also adept at throwing players under a bus - Forestieri with the (I still think fictional or quoted out of context) refusal/reticence to play on the left and preference for playing up top. I think we would need to know what Carlos' actual question to him was and the tone of the answer before coming to any conclusion about it.

I agree with those that say it is irrelevant now as we have changed systems and 433 should be much more suitable for FF

On 12/08/2019 at 09:30, owl84 said:

Anyone any idea when his appeal will be heard or reviewed?

They will wait until we’ve got a match scheduled for Sky and make sure he’s banned for it so that they can get the pundits to say how great the FA are for tackling racism in football.

We just needed more of a grafter on Saturday than Forestieri is.

We were pushing Barnsley and pressuring them and if FF had come on that would have stopped.  Joey did a good job and it will have been good for his confidence as he could get drowned out of that midfield this season.  He came on and did well.

We need to stop pretending we've got the FF of old.  We've now got a player who won't press, doesn't like defending, and doesn't like being played on the wing.  I crave the Forestieri of old and I hope he proves me wrong.

54 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think time to decide whether is was a good decision to give Lee another contact is at end of the season rather than after two games.

That hindsight isn't applicable now though. What we can see is that quality wise it is worth the risk. 

FF is a cheeky monkey.

This defending him as some sort of victim is pathetic. The tailface can pretend all he wants that he is misunderstood, misqouted and there is some massive conspiracy against him. And some Wednesday fans have an almost scouse level of victim complex about them and ought to grow up.

If Bullen is half the man I think he is, he'll have none of this bullshit. Sport is about taking responsibility, owning your form both good and bad. If he can persuade FF to do that then we have a game changing player. If he can't then good riddence. But  the only way FF is going to make a success of himself if to take responsibility for himself.

I agree with people saying we will need him at some point throughout the season, but now we have so many options, he is now just an option, not the answer. How happy he is with that, i don't know.

As for his contract. Just about to turn 30 and has had issues and injuries. Might sound harsh, but i would only offer him a reduced 1 year extension. If he wants same wage or longer contract then i would move him on, even with no fee in the summer. I think we have seen with the right scouting and negotiations, that you can replace anyone.

23 minutes ago, George said:

FF is a cheeky monkey.

This defending him as some sort of victim is pathetic. The tailface can pretend all he wants that he is misunderstood, misqouted and there is some massive conspiracy against him. And some Wednesday fans have an almost scouse level of victim complex about them and ought to grow up.

If Bullen is half the man I think he is, he'll have none of this bullshit. Sport is about taking responsibility, owning your form both good and bad. If he can persuade FF to do that then we have a game changing player. If he can't then good riddence. But  the only way FF is going to make a success of himself if to take responsibility for himself.

But you won't give him a chance no matter what he does.

I mean starting off this post calling him and a cheeky monkey and a tailface.

Then talk about agendas and needing to grow up?

The bare faced hyprocrisy is unreal.

What a wonderful problem to have though, eh? Long gone are the days of no Fessi not attacking threat.

We have healthy competition on the wings now which can only push people to be the best version of themselves. I hope both himself and Harris cause a constant headache on who deserves the starting spot throughout the entire season. 

• Like 1