Massimo Luongo & Jacob Murphy

It's more about what fits a team rather than individual records or past loan deals. Both Luongo and Murphy fit what we need. Hector hadn't pulled up any trees before he came here last season, he suited us really well and played the best of his career so far with us. If they fit, then it doesn't matter how well or not they've done in the past or what other fans think of them. Leeds fans said Lees was garbage too and there were mixed opinions about the likes of Bannan but look how well they've done here. Some fans were also underwhelmed by Harris and he looks our smartest signing of the window so far.

Edited by The Night-Owl

1 minute ago, Liam_Baggies said:

Apologies if not, but I thought they were looking at another loan? 

Might be wrong, but I'd certainly explore those Premier League academies. 

Sure at first they wanted a fee but like with Harry Wilson they might be open to a loan at this stage. You are in a better position to comment on Murphy than me anyhow, still remember him being very good at Norwich so wouldn't be too unhappy if we brought him in and gave him a chance.

4 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

I did not hide on here regarding the deficiencies of our squad last season.

Nor did I expect Premier League quality. 

I did expect a bit of presence and someone who could use his pace to get in behind defences, or at least be able to provide some decent crosses to Gayle and Rodriguez. He was extremely lightweight and a player who would shirk those 60/40 challenges. 

He did score a decent goal at QPR and scored from a few yards out at home against Forest. That aside, he, like Montero was a very poor signing. 

His performances were regularly outshone by Kyle Edwards - whom could not get into the side because of Murphy. 

Hmm interest cheers for that, if he does come here i hope hes learned a lesson or 2 from his time with your team or he'll just support from the bench

11 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

I've seen it cited that Murphy has pace - indeed he does, but he is so lightweight it is irrelevant when he's knocked off the ball every time he has it. 

I cannot recall any redeeming features to his game that made me stand and take notice. 

It was a major source of annoyance that he featured so heavily for us - providing so very little - whereas our academy graduates were left to rot. 

Sounds like the reasons why Raheem Sterling has been turned into a poacher, by Pep 

1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Sure at first they wanted a fee but like with Harry Wilson they might be open to a loan at this stage. You are in a better position to comment on Murphy than me anyhow, still remember him being very good at Norwich so wouldn't be too unhappy if we brought him in and gave him a chance.

I thought he was going to be an excellent signing

Signing a good player who had seemingly done well in the Premier League

then realised I was referring to his twin brother. 

lol

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

What season is that for? Don't tell me with 100% confidence you know lol

Could well be accurate, and I have no reason to really doubt it... but when the graphic can't even communicate to me what time period that's meant to cover I start getting a bit sceptical. 

Its meant to be the season before last. It has a typo at the top of the page but it’s not that unclear.

2 minutes ago, Beholder said:

With Harris and Reach already occupying those wide positions, Murphy will have to show he is worth a starting place otherwise he will mainly be used as sub I'd have thought. 

It’s his job to show he should be starting . Reachs performances have done nothing to suggest his undroppable

Edited by james o connor

6 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

I thought he was going to be an excellent signing

Signing a good player who had seemingly done well in the Premier League

then realised I was referring to his twin brother. 

lol

What about Oliver Burke? Will he feature for you this season or has he gone on loan somewhere?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

Murphy is garbage. We had the miss-fortune of putting up with him last season.

He has the heart & testicles the size of a pea. 

I'd rather you put faith in your academy then sign players on relatively good wages whom will offer nothing. 

Will be crunch time for Murphy then. Did Newcastle get the wrong brother when they paid 10m for him?

I keep forgetting we have Fraser Preston too who could do a job on the wing. Looked promising last season

3 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

What about Oliver Burke? Will he feature for you this season or has he gone on loan somewhere?

Again another limited footballer. He's currently with us. Given we paid £15mil for him we have to invest some time in him.

He's not very good mind. Seems to have gone backwards from that wonder kid of a few years ago.

He's on a separate coaching plan to the others. 

4 minutes ago, stowyowl said:

My mate in Newcastle who's usually pretty clued up on the goings on up there seems to think Murphy is most likely to currently set to sign for Huddersfield.

Not saying that's definite before I get shot down, not pretending to be ITK!!

That’s what I read last night. 

18 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I keep forgetting we have Fraser Preston too who could do a job on the wing. Looked promising last season

I was impressed the couple of times I saw him last season. The only way he’s going to get better is with more game time so I say we put some faith in a few of our youngsters and play them.

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Umbongo, Umbongo,

Then we signed Luongo,

Can't think of any other words,

To make this a good songo.

It’s pretty good, not utilising the embargo/umbongo link that’s become part of OT parlance though.