Odds For The New Manager

Really am concerned that Dc will think he will stay well clear of British managers and go back to appointing unknown foreign ones. There really isn’t a lot of choice of out of work quality managers. Guess Hughton is the obvious choice but I wouldn’t be against someone like Cowley. 

9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Really am concerned that Dc will think he will stay well clear of British managers and go back to appointing unknown foreign ones. There really isn’t a lot of choice of out of work quality managers. Guess Hughton is the obvious choice but I wouldn’t be against someone like Cowley. 

There's nought wrong with foreign managers, if you grab one that's already over here but there's even a fair amount of imports being appointed and doing well recently. Our problem was we went for obscure ones, that were job hoppers and had some time off. Generally most clubs are now ignoring the usual steady old school type managers, and going more and more for foreign imports, recently retired players or lower league graduates. This is an interesting article about the growing trend of managerial appointments and the decline of old school reliable experienced British managers. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/frank-lampard-chelsea-manager-fast-track-job-end-english-old-guard

Edited by The Night-Owl

Not sure why people are suggesting Stendal. It’s only because he works down the road people have heard of him. It would be like appointing Luton or Charltons manager. 

Stendal doesnt make any of the signings at Barnsley. Not what we really need at the moment.

Looking at list of candidates some absolute shockers and some well past sell by date. They know DC likes o bring geezers off shelf and some of these have a real thick layer of dust on them.

I can not say keen on anyone in particular.

Hughton favourite has reasonable record but never floated my boat and not sure would be well liked by fans as tends to come across as quiet individual.

Rowet blotted copybook at Stoke. I think is good manager but unfortunately similar to Bruce in he likes to up sticks and move at slightest sniff of money or PL.

some absolutely terrible foreign managers on list, Zola could not manage a raffle. Labbadia failed last season at Wolfsburg and past sell by date.

I have seen a little bit of money for Nigel Adkins and Domenico Tedesco both into 16-1 from 20-1. 

Adkins performance is variable but can get a team playing.

Tedesco had a remarkable first season in management but went awry last season. His team lost quite a few star players on Bosman deals and had a bad run. He is probably only foreigner on list I would give second though o.

Steven Gerard is on list at 20-1. I thought a surprising name. 

Hudson and Stendel are shorter price and obviously being pushed by someone,

36 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

My money would still be on Daniel Stendel, like I said the other day.

I could see us going for Hughton, Cook or Stendel. I'd be happy with either of those. Personally I'd like a manager on the rise but I'm warming more and more to the thought of Paul Cook, I think he would be a smart appointment. Plus how good would it be, if he brought Sam Morsy along with him? 

Cowley (and his brother) meet your criteria. Rated very highly.

1 minute ago, S72 Owl said:

Not sure why people are suggesting Stendal. It’s only because he works down the road people have heard of him. It would be like appointing Luton or Charltons manager. 

Stendal doesnt make any of the signings at Barnsley. Not what we really need at the moment.

Although you might be right, what's wrong with being forward thinking and going for someone on the rise? Instead of the usual old steady job hopping names with big CVs? It's debatable what we need after Bruce, experience might mean minimal fuss and on paper could be what we need, whilst a more long term forward thinking type of appointment might continue and build from the progress and foundations built by Bruce. Villa went the lower league graduate/forward thinking type of appointment after Bruce, I'd be thinking along the same lines and would go for someone on the rise within the EFL, the likes of Cook and Stendel appeal more to me, than the usual old names. 

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

Looking at list of candidates some absolute shockers and some well past sell by date. They know DC likes o bring geezers off shelf and some of these have a real thick layer of dust on them.

I can not say keen on anyone in particular.

Hughton favourite has reasonable record but never floated my boat and not sure would be well liked by fans as tends to come across as quiet individual.

Rowet blotted copybook at Stoke. I think is good manager but unfortunately similar to Bruce in he likes to up sticks and move at slightest sniff of money or PL.

some absolutely terrible foreign managers on list, Zola could not manage a raffle. Labbadia failed last season at Wolfsburg and past sell by date.

I have seen a little bit of money for Nigel Adkins and Domenico Tedesco both into 16-1 from 20-1. 

Adkins performance is variable but can get a team playing.

Tedesco had a remarkable first season in management but went awry last season. His team lost quite a few star players on Bosman deals and had a bad run. He is probably only foreigner on list I would give second though o.

Steven Gerard is on list at 20-1. I thought a surprising name. 

Hudson and Stendel are shorter price and obviously being pushed by someone,

Not Adkins, awful choice. Been reading about Hudson, really hope it isn’t him, would be a very poor choice. Zola is a shocking manager, 2 wins from 24 at Birmingham. It really does seem a poor list. Guess Hughton is the best of the bunch.