Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

What makes you think it wouldn't be the same with any other manager?

that's what I was asking when it seemed many wanted the similar Hughton. Would someone similar had been the best option? Regardless, whether he stays, goes or walks, we just need to get on with things, there's not long till the season starts. Seems like he's staying now. That in itself appears good news, after all the restructuring and preparation. Changing managers could cause us to play catch up. If he had left, I was of the thinking of it being better to go for a younger manager and having a long term forward thinking plan. But now, it looks like it's over with and he's staying, we need to put it behind us.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Word in the press room is that he’s turned down the chance to manage boyhood club

Surely it's just some guy on Twitter saying what the word is in the press room.

3 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Thing is, we STILL don't know what's happened, so I wouldn't be taking a victory lap just yet

Which is exactly his point. Wait until the truth comes out before jumping to conclusions about what has / hasn't gone off and still may go off.

7 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Straw clutching there...wow.  He looks like he's just nodding in acknowledgment of being shouted at, he probably didn't even hear what he said!

Agree. Looks like he’s nodding as part of his conversation on the phone... probably confirming his terms at Newcastle ;-)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Straw clutching there...wow.  He looks like he's just nodding in acknowledgment of being shouted at, he probably didn't even hear what he said!

Agree. Looks like he’s nodding as part of his conversation on the phone... probably confirming his terms at Newcastle ;-)

3 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

My brother is a police sergeant in Lincoln. Just booked in the pitch invader who went up to Bruce. He told my brother that Bruce said 'I'm not going anywhere'. #swfc      #StuartHanson 

I said that once at Hillsborough when a cop tried to evict me

44 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Bar sky sports news it’s hardly been wall to wall coverage has it? The few articles about it are full of ambiguous language & speculation. This story’s been driven by local press, bookies, Twitter & a fan base hunting down every scrap of info, extrapolating from that & posting on social media. The national press have largely ignored the story which tells you they aren’t as convinced as some & ssn has 24 hrs of airtime to fill so will flog owt to death. I want Bruce to stay, he’s made no comments about wanting to leave & neither club have said a thing. This story’s mostly happened in our heads & on social media.

it's been on OWLSTALK, it MUST be, it HAS to be TRUE. WTF:what else could it ever be?

it would be like the end of time were it wrong, we'd all have to find something useful to do.

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

My brother is a police sergeant in Lincoln. Just booked in the pitch invader who went up to Bruce. He told my brother that Bruce said 'I'm not going anywhere'. #swfc

If Bruce now fooks off I hope that is taken down and used as evidence in a court of law against him.

11 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Owlinmad will have the tweezers knocking one out furiously this afternoon...

Be interesting to hear what’s going/gone on. Owlinmad’s position has been that he was never going (basically there’s nothing in it) as opposed to it is/was on but has now fallen through.

15 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

as I understood it (and I maybe miles out here) but the £2m from wednesday was for getting us up not just managing the team.

as for compo (and i'm guessing again) IF bruce quits can wednesday take him for failing to fulfil his contract?, IF so would the amount bruce would owe wednesday be less than what we deem the fee for newcastle to have him?

thus would newcastle be better off getting him to jump ship and pay the lesser fee? we 've already seen what premier league sides are capable of with the hirst jobbie.

There are rules about quitting and jumping ship not as easy as you think. I have just read it will probably cost Newcastle more to sign Bruce and team than it would to have kept Benitez. Ashley likes to do everything on cheap and Steve Bruce has not been cheap for years, only time he spent money was to get Newcastle back in Premier League as it was cost effective to do so. it has stalled because Newcastle have to cough up, how on earth they thought they could get away with ridiculous amount of compensation is real issue. Now genie is out of bottle they have to pay or walk away. Would Bruce want to go somewhere who would not meet legitimate demands of his current club? t suggests he just wanted cheap option a chap who is a fan and wants to manage team and he is good manager to boot.

1 minute ago, Quist said:

There are rules about quitting and jumping ship not as easy as you think. I have just read it will probably cost Newcastle more to sign Bruce and team than it would to have kept Benitez. Ashley likes to do everything on cheap and Steve Bruce has not been cheap for years, only time he spent money was to get Newcastle back in Premier League as it was cost effective to do so. it has stalled because Newcastle have to cough up, how on earth they thought they could get away with ridiculous amount of compensation is real issue. Now genie is out of bottle they have to pay or walk away. Would Bruce want to go somewhere who would not meet legitimate demands of his current club? t suggests he just wanted cheap option a chap who is a fan and wants to manage team and he is good manager to boot.

I imagine there were rules over the george hirst situation, but leicester shat all over them.

10 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

it's been on OWLSTALK, it MUST be, it HAS to be TRUE. WTF:what else could it ever be?

it would be like the end of time were it wrong, we'd all have to find something useful to do.

But we should be careful when we are reading news from a parallel universe  Stranger Things have happened. 

Edited by Big Jack

3 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I imagine there were rules over the george hirst situation, but leicester shat all over them.

Surprisingly that move not covered in England not allowed to have more than one club so does not arise. I was told that if he did go to Leicester that EFL/FX would be looking at a rule change. His form last year was so poor his value as a player would have shrunk so perhaps we did not miss out on too much.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

that's what I was asking when it seemed many wanted the similar Hughton. Would someone similar had been the best option? Regardless, whether he stays, goes or walks, we just need to get on with things, there's not long till the season starts. Seems like he's staying now. That in itself appears good news, after all the restructuring and preparation. Changing managers could cause us to play catch up. If he had left, I was of the thinking of it being better to go for a younger manager and having a long term forward thinking plan. But now, it looks like it's over with and he's staying, we need to put it behind us.

I know what you are saying, maybe an up-and-coming manager would be less likely to be poached and less likely to jump ship than an experienced sought-after boss.

When we sacked Jos we desperately needed someone who knew what they were doing and to be honest Bruce seemed like someone we wouldn't be able to attract at that time. We seem in a bit of a better position now - thanks to him - and if he was to leave then maybe a younger aspiring manager would have more of a chance but that is always more of a risk than an experienced boss who could get poached.

Our job was too big for Danny Wilson when we went down that route decades ago and last season Paul Hurst was highly regarded but couldn't do anything at Ipswich, though that job was always risky on his part, for all the stick McArthy got most could see he did well with what he had to work with at Portman Road.