Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

1 minute ago, Ash76 said:

Sky sports just showed a video clip. Fan clearly heard asking SB ‘are you staying?’ Brice nodded his head and smiled 

Not totally convinced that was a nod of agreement to be honest. Look more like a nod of, 'yeah right, i'm going to tell some bloke who asked from the stand how it is'.

lol 

Bar sky sports news it’s hardly been wall to wall coverage has it? The few articles about it are full of ambiguous language & speculation. This story’s been driven by local press, bookies, Twitter & a fan base hunting down every scrap of info, extrapolating from that & posting on social media. The national press have largely ignored the story which tells you they aren’t as convinced as some & ssn has 24 hrs of airtime to fill so will flog owt to death. I want Bruce to stay, he’s made no comments about wanting to leave & neither club have said a thing. This story’s mostly happened in our heads & on social media.

35 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Word in the press room is that he’s turned down the chance to manage boyhood club

So he's actually told someone in press room. Awesome news. 

Edited by S1Owl

14 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Bugger, I wish somebody had warned me about him turning Newcastle down.  I've just been arrested for having a dump in Sports Direct changing room.

Police are being nice to you letting you have your mobile, guessing they want you to get updates on match. Good lads. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, vulva said:

Agree. But let’s not forget the last time this happened under Big Ron we finished 3rd and ended up in 2 Cup Finals 3 years later. Bruce was a great pick for where we are at present, but there are other football managers available. 

True but we were full of confidence at the time, riding high on the back of promotion and our first domestic cup success in 50 years. Francis was promoted from within and had a vast knowledge of the game and the respect of the squad at that time. 

Either way, hopefully it's all over and done with? If he stays, will it be the same and what if another (better run club than Newcastle) come calling? I'm wary whether he stays or goes. Wary because will it be the same after his head was turned and wary if he did go, who we'd get?

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Either way, hopefully it's all over and done with? If he stays, will it be the same and what if another (better run club than Newcastle) come calling? I'm wary whether he stays or goes. Wary because will it be the same after his head was turned and wary if he did go, who we'd get?

What makes you think it wouldn't be the same with any other manager?

1 minute ago, NYowl said:

Steve Bruce's agent will be the problem now, if Wednesday don't match what Newcastle offered Bruce and his agent he will be using every trick in the book to instigate a move.

A few of the papers were reporting that his basic salary offered would be less than he is on with us!

In all this, what we should remember is SB is only a temporary appointment at Hillsborough in the first place. The 1 year rolling contract reflects this, with both parties presumably happy with the arrangements which says to me we are hoping he gets us promotion and if not he'll move on with our best wishes by the end of the season if not before.

I never thought he was a long term appointment, unless he does get us promoted, then all this starts again as his stock will have increased and he'll be out of contract with no compo restrictions.