Steve Bruce wanted by Newcastle................rumour

Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Of course he would; home town club, Premier League, treble his salary.

If he was offered it and didn't take it, I'd seriously question his drive and ambition to be honest.

All that said, I very much doubt Newcastle will be interested in Bruce; he's not done much at the top level as a manager and he'd cost them compensation.

But to play Devil's advocate, Ashley isn't looking for a manager who's done much at the top level.

Ashley's sole remit is to have a manager who'll keep them in the Prem

If the takeover doesn't go through he's looking for a manager who can achieve the bare minimum of keeping them in the prem on a shoe string budget. He doesn't care if they finish one place above relegation, so long as they don't go down.

34 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

But to play Devil's advocate, Ashley isn't looking for a manager who's done much at the top level.

Ashley's sole remit is to have a manager who'll keep them in the Prem

If the takeover doesn't go through he's looking for a manager who can achieve the bare minimum of keeping them in the prem on a shoe string budget. He doesn't care if they finish one place above relegation, so long as they don't go down.

Very true, but what is Bruce's record of retaining clubs' Premier League status over the years?

Still reckon he's more likely to go for an out of contract manager, or depending on compensation - and as you rightly say, a manager who can do wonders on buttons - Wilder over at United would be a very shrewd appointment.

Just now, Uncle Mort AMB said:

The blunts are now in talks to extend Wilders contract again  according to SSN, are they worried  Ashley is sniffing around..

My first thought when I saw it on SSN last night.

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Of course he would; home town club, Premier League, treble his salary.

If he was offered it and didn't take it, I'd seriously question his drive and ambition to be honest.

All that said, I very much doubt Newcastle will be interested in Bruce; he's not done much at the top level as a manager and he'd cost them compensation.

If he decided to remain committed to Sheffield Wednesday then I don’t think I’d question those things to be honest. None of us have got the first idea about his drive or ambition, or how much he wants to manage his hometown club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

If he decided to remain committed to Sheffield Wednesday then I don’t think I’d question those things to be honest. None of us have got the first idea about his drive or ambition, or how much he wants to manage his hometown club.

Fair enough. If I was a driven and ambitious football manager, and a Premier League club came knocking at the door of my current employers - Championship mid-table and in a financial pickle - and said they wanted my services, I'd jump at the chance; even more so if it was my home town club and I'd see my salary doubled/trebled, manage in front of 50k, managing far superior players and a far bigger budget, and playing against some of the best teams in the world.

6 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Fair enough. If I was a driven and ambitious football manager, and a Premier League club came knocking at the door of my current employers - Championship mid-table and in a financial pickle - and said they wanted my services, I'd jump at the chance; even more so if it was my home town club and I'd see my salary doubled/trebled, manage in front of 50k, managing far superior players and a far bigger budget, and playing against some of the best teams in the world.

Well we know exactly what you would do in that situation then. I’d run a mile from working with Mike Ashley, home town or not, and would prefer to challenge for promotion in the Championship than struggle against relegation in the Premiership. Neither of us are Steve Bruce though so who knows what his drives and ambitions are.  

6 minutes ago, the monk said:

Strange how not getting relegated gets more plaudits with some than finishing mid table 

Its the name of the game for premier league isn't it, just about staying up and protecting the ££££££.

In a league where teams finishing mid table, usually lose more than they win and average around a goal per game over the season, hardly stunning form to be proud of.

52 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Bye bye Brucie. Wonder who our next manager's going to be?

Still has his bag packed, and still sat by the phone awaiting the call. 

I spoke to him last week. 

EB66F7A5-A6EF-4D3C-B4AD-AEE11712F581.jpeg

Edited by theowlsman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Still has his bag packed, and still sat by the phone awaiting the call. 

I spoke to him last week. 

EB66F7A5-A6EF-4D3C-B4AD-AEE11712F581.jpeg

Tell him about the wonderful invention of mobile phones O/M ....

Seems a tad cruel letting him sit by a landline ...

• Haha 3