Trevor Francis

20 hours ago, Stoop said:

To summarise 

- poor manager

- rode Atkinson’s team for a couple of years

- made some excellent signings on the back of his reputation as a player

- Made a complete mess of things when he had to build his own side

- did nothing as a manager after he got the sack at Hillsborough 

It was Interesting to hear Carlton Palmers thoughts on him during his owl sanctuary podcast, when he confirmed a few of my thoughts above 

Some fair points there, but all this he rode Atkinson’s team etc. It was Francis who signed Waddle/Warhurst/ Bright, Bartman. Francis put Graham Hyde into the side. 

He sadly did sign Chris Woods though.

3 hours ago, Animis said:

I think TF struggled with man management. He seemed to have a problem with players and establishing respect. He came to us in 1990 on the back of a sacking at QPR over fining Martin Allen over attending his son's birth. He had spats with other senior Wednesday players throughout his time as manager - Warhurst, Palmer and Hirst. He always seem one dimensional and quite boring. Clearly this shouldn't be held against him as a coach/manager but I think his lack of personality fueled the divide with players. Other managers like BFR were completely different, but it was BFR who recommended TF as manager to the SWFC Board.

The most talked about episode from Martin Allen's career at Queens Park Rangers was not a match he played in … but one that he missed!
It was 20 years ago this month - on March 11th 1989. Rangers travelled north for a First Division fixture at Newcastle United and our squad stayed in a hotel overnight before the game.
Allen said: "I was sharing a room with our goalkeeper David Seaman. At two o'clock in the morning, David took a phone call from my dad saying that my wife Gabriella was about to give birth.

"I found out there was a flight back to London at 7.30am and I told our Assistant Manager Peter Shreeves. He said 'Before you leave, check that she's still in labour. And if you are going to go, then get on the plane and good luck. But check first.'
"I rang from the hotel at 6.00am and Gabriella was settling in at the Royal Berks Hospital. So I got the plane from Newcastle Airport and arrived at Heathrow about 8.30am. From there, I was in the hospital at 9.30am and our baby George was born at 12.15pm.

"I'll never forget the following Monday. I was just leaving for home after training when QPR Manager Trevor Francis handed me an envelope while I was getting in my car. I thought it was going to be a note of congratulations for having the baby. But it was a two week wages fine!
"It was quite shocking and disappointing. After that, my working relationship with Trevor broke down. I was eventually sold to West Ham a few months later.
"But I have no regrets about what happened. It was only human that I wanted to see the birth of my first child. Everyone has the right if they wish to do that - whether you are a footballer or whether you are a banker or a politician. It doesn't matter what you work as. You have that right.

I think the so called spat with Warhurst, when he allegedly refused to play. The blame can’t be laid with Francis for that one. If it’s true, we didn’t have any central defenders fit so he had to play there.

What was the spat with Hirsty? 

Edited by sexpistol

4 hours ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

He was the only one I could think of with the European Cup. Nilsson won a UEFA cup. Can anyone think of any other Wednesday players to have European medals?

edit Tony Galvin won a UEFA Cup with Spurs. Hopefully that’ll be a final round answer if I ever go on Pointless. :Sid:

Steve McCall won the UEFA Cup with Ipswich. I remember being well impressed that we'd signed somebody with that pedigree but he was mostly rubbish. To be fair he had a bad injury in his early days with us. 

He was the only one I could think of with the European Cup. Nilsson won a UEFA cup. Can anyone think of any other Wednesday players to have European medals?

edit Tony Galvin won a UEFA Cup with Spurs. Hopefully that’ll be a final round answer if I ever go on Pointless. :Sid:

Scott Carson has a Champions League medal from 2005, although he didn't play in the final but he did play in the tournament.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

21 hours ago, prowl said:

I thought for a moment we'd signed him. I was just going to say he's well over 30 and injury prone. I'll pass.lol

That's what I thought when we signed him, what a waste of money was my attitude, but he made me change my mind, what a player he was.  Could drop a ball on a sixpence, loads of ability and skill and chipped with a few goals.  Wish we had someone similar now. 

Andy Blair was on the bench when Villa won the European Cup in 1982.

On 08/06/2019 at 17:21, Jack the Hat said:

Look at the team he started with and look at the team he left behind after out spending teams like Arsenal . There’s your answer.

Can’t recall Chris Waddle playing in Atkinson’s team

• Like 1

On 08/06/2019 at 17:47, Stoop said:

To summarise 

- poor manager

- rode Atkinson’s team for a couple of years

- made some excellent signings on the back of his reputation as a player

- Made a complete mess of things when he had to build his own side

- did nothing as a manager after he got the sack at Hillsborough 

It was Interesting to hear Carlton Palmers thoughts on him during his owl sanctuary podcast, when he confirmed a few of my thoughts above 

Didn't he take Birmingham up and also took them to a major cup final losing on penalties to Liverpool?

Edit- Just checked and he didn't take em up, got to play offs a few times but didn't get promoted. 

Edited by bradowl

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, Millhouses said:

Can’t recall Chris Waddle playing in Atkinson’s team

One of the few good signings. But let’s be fair it was a no brainier. As stoop pointed out it was on the back of his reputation as a player. Oh and let’s not forget his poor man management skills which were evident during his disasterous spell at QPR. But we chose to ignore it and throw away an opportunity when we were on the cusp of something big. I knew he was the wrong choice as did anyone who had taken note of what happened at qpr

4 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Some fair points there, but all this he rode Atkinson’s team etc. It was Francis who signed Waddle/Warhurst/ Bright, Bartman. Francis put Graham Hyde into the side. 

He sadly did sign Chris Woods though.

Everyone will have a different view on what Francis did for us.

For me, loved him as a player but not as much as a manager.

Suffered with man management skills.

The comment about Atkinson's team is one with which I agree.

Atkinson left us (unfortunately) in a great place and although Francis made some excellent signings, as you quite rightly point out, the next 2 years were a steady slide downwards.

But as I said earlier IMO.

9 hours ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

Jim Craig was in the first British team to win the European Cup in 1967.

On the subject of Trevor Francis, I was pleased to get him as a player, he was still fit and a wonderful player.  If it hadn't been for injuries he would probably have got 100 caps. I remember him scoring twice at Hillsborough as a 16 year old. After Biimingam he played more games for us than any other club, that's a surprising statictic. I spoke to him a few times before games and he was always polite, interested and dignified. As I recall, all Owls I knew were glad to see him as player manager at the time. he signed some great players and we played some great football. I don't think we'll ever again have a Footballer of the Year, play in Europe and reach 2 Cup finals, or finish 3rd ! Of course he made mistakes but I was disappointed when we sacked him, and I still am.

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

Replaced....

Nillson with Atherton

Worthington with Nolan

Palmer with Ingesson

Pearson with Andy Pearce

Viv Anderson with Simon Coleman 

Harkes with Sinton

:duntmatter:

Bit selective to mention Simon Coleman but not Des Walker...

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

Replaced....

Nillson with Atherton

Worthington with Nolan

Palmer with Ingesson

Pearson with Andy Pearce

Viv Anderson with Simon Coleman 

Harkes with Sinton

:duntmatter:

Personally I would have changed the Palmer Ingesson one to Ian Taylor

Now he should have been our next Carlton Palmer, a very good signing at the time

Yet good old TF played him on the right wing for some unknown reason, when it was clear to everyone that he wasn't a right winger. Few months later, he goes to Villa as part of the deal for Guy Whittingham, goes and plays regularly in the centre of midfield and becomes a very good premier league central midfielder.

Such a disappointment the signings for that season. We needed a minimum of one striker for the start of the 1994-95 season and the only one we sign is O'Neill Donaldson from Doncaster. This, despite being linked to the world cup stars Kennet Anderson and Oleg Salenko. 

I think he tried to play Bart Williams as a striker with Bright to counter that, until the Whittingham exchange deal came.

• Thanks 1