Trevor Francis

Treva was a good manager who played the best football I’ve seen at Wednesday and bought some fantastic players including a footballer of the year. He got us to two cup finals and Europe. We made a huge mistake sacking him because just as top European players came to England we got rid of someone who had great contacts abroad, we wouldn’t have got walker and petrescu without him and would have got some top talent with him. His dismissal was a case of be careful what you wish for 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Loads of negative comments about Francis on here.  And Carvahal.  Reading this forum, I've learned they were our worst two managers in our history.

Our fans love a terrible manager.  No-one ever complains about Ashurst, Williams, Wilson, Burtenshaw, Jewell, Irvine, Turner, Shreeves, Eustace.

Ah, for the good old days.  Getting twonked by Darlington, Cambridge and York City.

(Yes, I am being sarcastic).

Trev and Carlos were similar in that they had great resources and did well with them, but maybe someone else would have done even better.

Len Ashurst was a very good manager too!

12 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Some of the worst football Ive ever seen....You stood on the Kop and you simply could not see us scoring.No crosses..hardly any chances...it was abysmal...

"Useless Eustace"

Even Pleat got us top ten. But it was the constant unwillingness to pay the going rate for top players and the penchant for paying decent money for average ones that ultimately caught up with us. The Italians bucked the trend and kept us going for a time but generally we lacked the same quality. Wilson’s transfer policy took that even further with the Celtic freebies and buying Sibon and De Bilde for the price of a Robbie Keane.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Even Pleat got us top ten. But it was the constant unwillingness to pay the going rate for top players and the penchant for paying decent money for average ones that ultimately caught up with us. The Italians bucked the trend and kept us going for a time but generally we lacked the same quality. Wilson’s transfer policy took that even further with the Celtic freebies and buying Sibon and De Bilde for the price of a Robbie Keane.

Were we ever interested in Robbie Keane? One of my favourite players, ran his socks off, scored plenty of goals. I'd have been over the moon if we'd got him but can't remember any rumours surrounding him.

Guest The Horse

I can't put my finger on it or find a proper way to articulate it but for me from the moment Francis left, the club just didn't feel 'right'.

Pleat, Big Ron's cameo, Wilson, the two Italians - it still all felt a bit off. 

Like it's soul wasn't there.

The Play-Off final was a jolt of life to the patient but that passed quickly.

I only felt it really come back when Megson came in and has remained ever since.

Like I said, I can't explain it but even though we're still in the second tier, we've definitely got our mojo back.

Or it might be just me! :tongue:

2 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

Were we ever interested in Robbie Keane? One of my favourite players, ran his socks off, scored plenty of goals. I'd have been over the moon if we'd got him but can't remember any rumours surrounding him.

Im not sure we were, but as he went to Coventry for 6m at the time we should’ve been.

We were always linked with players like Dani, Mols (lucky escape), Nillis, Larsson But we didn’t want to spend the money on them really. 

15 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Wembley 3 times and 3rd in the Prem..sacked after finishing 13th...albeit a bad season, Francis would say he was rebuilding...

Luckily we managed to net............David Pleat....

Ridiculous when we think about it now, even Pleat wasn't liked by a lot of fans and yet we finished 7th under him. 

We were spoilt rotten in them days and thought we had a right to be challenging for title after finishing 3rd and coming close to winning it. 

18 hours ago, Craig enock said:

Bit random but wanted too know why he wasnt at the 150 year anniversary doo last year . I was only 6 or 7 when he managed us but I loved going with my dad to watch us play at that time . I've read 1 or 2 negative opinions on him on here over the years and just wanted some feedback on your thoughts on him as our manager . 

I think he has had health problems (heart) and not been in best of health. In addition his wife had died not long before. He used to be a pundit but drifted away from this, may have been due to health.

He was probably a far better manager than most of us realised at the time. He had some excellent contacts in the game and could get hold of excellent players. He had Frank Barlow who was excellent football coach to help him but could probably have done with more support in back room team. Just felt team was missing something but hard to say what it was.

Overall I dont think Francis was a great manager and I dont think he was a terrible one either.

Must take credit for best football we have seen in living memory at Hillsborough but also must take blame for breaking up the side far too quickly and making some poir signings.

I dont think it was a mistake sacking him when we did, things had gone stale and from the outside he seemed to have lost the respect of our key players.

7 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

Treva was a good manager who played the best football I’ve seen at Wednesday and bought some fantastic players including a footballer of the year. He got us to two cup finals and Europe. We made a huge mistake sacking him because just as top European players came to England we got rid of someone who had great contacts abroad, we wouldn’t have got walker and petrescu without him and would have got some top talent with him. His dismissal was a case of be careful what you wish for 

Yes Birmingham wished for him where he was a legend as a player 

Despite a very competitive budget he did nothing 

QPR also wished for him 

He was at the right club at the right time imo, but good luck to him we had some great moments 

Rode on the back of the coat tails of the squad Big Ron left him. Aside from the notable captures of Waddle, Warhurst, Walker and Bart-Williams, he also signed qualty players in the shape of Atherton, Nolan, Coleman, Pearce etc. :laugh: and this was the start of our demise, Pleat continued the job and Wilson finished it off?

He'll always have his supporters as he was a class player for us but as good as the four years or so he was in charge of us was generally, he has to take some responsibility for the mess we found ourselves in come our relegation from the top flight in 2000?

17 hours ago, alanharper said:

Viv Anderson- he was in the same team! 

He was the only one I could think of with the European Cup. Nilsson won a UEFA cup. Can anyone think of any other Wednesday players to have European medals?

edit Tony Galvin won a UEFA Cup with Spurs. Hopefully that’ll be a final round answer if I ever go on Pointless. :Sid:

Edited by The Hoppy Hopper

48 minutes ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

He was the only one I could think of with the European Cup. Nilsson won a UEFA cup. Can anyone think of any other Wednesday players to have European medals?

edit Tony Galvin won a UEFA Cup with Spurs. Hopefully that’ll be a final round answer if I ever go on Pointless. :Sid:

Wim Jonk and Paulo Di Canio both won the UEFA Cup.

16 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Loved the time under Francis. Played the best football seen at Hillsborough I have ever seen. We were that close to the big time. Some on here criticise him but I think he got us so near to being a top top club.

Yeah that was my opinion,  but I was a kid I come on here and there is some real dislike for Francis . I know his wife died but would have thought we would have invited him too the anniversary last year.  

1 hour ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

Steve Nicol, 5 titles, 3 FA cups and a European cup.

1 hour ago, Quist said:

I think he has had health problems (heart) and not been in best of health. In addition his wife had died not long before. He used to be a pundit but drifted away from this, may have been due to health.

He was probably a far better manager than most of us realised at the time. He had some excellent contacts in the game and could get hold of excellent players. He had Frank Barlow who was excellent football coach to help him but could probably have done with more support in back room team. Just felt team was missing something but hard to say what it was.

I think TF struggled with man management. He seemed to have a problem with players and establishing respect. He came to us in 1990 on the back of a sacking at QPR over fining Martin Allen over attending his son's birth. He had spats with other senior Wednesday players throughout his time as manager - Warhurst, Palmer and Hirst. He always seem one dimensional and quite boring. Clearly this shouldn't be held against him as a coach/manager but I think his lack of personality fueled the divide with players. Other managers like BFR were completely different, but it was BFR who recommended TF as manager to the SWFC Board.

The most talked about episode from Martin Allen's career at Queens Park Rangers was not a match he played in … but one that he missed!
It was 20 years ago this month - on March 11th 1989. Rangers travelled north for a First Division fixture at Newcastle United and our squad stayed in a hotel overnight before the game.
Allen said: "I was sharing a room with our goalkeeper David Seaman. At two o'clock in the morning, David took a phone call from my dad saying that my wife Gabriella was about to give birth.

"I found out there was a flight back to London at 7.30am and I told our Assistant Manager Peter Shreeves. He said 'Before you leave, check that she's still in labour. And if you are going to go, then get on the plane and good luck. But check first.'
"I rang from the hotel at 6.00am and Gabriella was settling in at the Royal Berks Hospital. So I got the plane from Newcastle Airport and arrived at Heathrow about 8.30am. From there, I was in the hospital at 9.30am and our baby George was born at 12.15pm.

"I'll never forget the following Monday. I was just leaving for home after training when QPR Manager Trevor Francis handed me an envelope while I was getting in my car. I thought it was going to be a note of congratulations for having the baby. But it was a two week wages fine!
"It was quite shocking and disappointing. After that, my working relationship with Trevor broke down. I was eventually sold to West Ham a few months later.
"But I have no regrets about what happened. It was only human that I wanted to see the birth of my first child. Everyone has the right if they wish to do that - whether you are a footballer or whether you are a banker or a politician. It doesn't matter what you work as. You have that right.

48 minutes ago, Animis said:

I think TF struggled with man management. He seemed to have a problem with players and establishing respect. He came to us in 1990 on the back of a sacking at QPR over fining Martin Allen over attending his son's birth. He had spats with other senior Wednesday players throughout his time as manager - Warhurst, Palmer and Hirst. He always seem one dimensional and quite boring. Clearly this shouldn't be held against him as a coach/manager but I think his lack of personality fueled the divide with players. Other managers like BFR were completely different, but it was BFR who recommended TF as manager to the SWFC Board.

You could be right about personality. Few are perfect but those who succeed recognise their shortfall and employ somebody to fill that gap. Those who were around at time will know it was not quite right and personally not certain what was missing but something definitely was.