Trevor Francis

Bit random but wanted too know why he wasnt at the 150 year anniversary doo last year . I was only 6 or 7 when he managed us but I loved going with my dad to watch us play at that time . I've read 1 or 2 negative opinions on him on here over the years and just wanted some feedback on your thoughts on him as our manager . 

Used to love his cameos from the bench, whipping balls onto hirstys head, wba away goal, forest at home etc

something never quite clicked in management although he didnt do a bad job

• Like 2

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, Millhouses said:

Best football we ever played. 3rd in the top division, European football, regulars at Wembley. Signed the great Chris Waddle. He never got the credit he deserved. 

Look at the team he started with and look at the team he left behind after out spending teams like Arsenal . There’s your answer.

Loads of negative comments about Francis on here.  And Carvahal.  Reading this forum, I've learned they were our worst two managers in our history.

Our fans love a terrible manager.  No-one ever complains about Ashurst, Williams, Wilson, Burtenshaw, Jewell, Irvine, Turner, Shreeves, Eustace.

Ah, for the good old days.  Getting twonked by Darlington, Cambridge and York City.

(Yes, I am being sarcastic).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

To summarise 

- poor manager

- rode Atkinson’s team for a couple of years

- made some excellent signings on the back of his reputation as a player

- Made a complete mess of things when he had to build his own side

- did nothing as a manager after he got the sack at Hillsborough 

It was Interesting to hear Carlton Palmers thoughts on him during his owl sanctuary podcast, when he confirmed a few of my thoughts above 

Edited by Stoop

7 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Loads of negative comments about Francis on here.  And Carvahal.  Reading this forum, I've learned they were our worst two managers in our history.

Our fans love a terrible manager.  No-one ever complains about Ashurst, Williams, Wilson, Burtenshaw, Jewell, Irvine, Turner, Shreeves, Eustace.

Ah, for the good old days.  Getting twonked by Darlington, Cambridge and York City.

I’d say both underachieved, one inherited the best squad in decades, the other had the biggest transfer budget in our history. That’s why many feel they failed. The other managers had bugger all to work with 

13 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I was upset when Francis was sacked...I thought 13th in the top league..not too bad...given he had done pretty well beforehand..and I believe he said it was a rebuilding job...Which it was..

Pleat was no replacement...But Atkinson was...despite all the stuff that had gone on before...but Richards..in a fit of vengeful stupidity...ruined that

Then Danny came..The rest is history..The long decline.

Jones and Carvalhal...in my opinion...fell to timidity...started off well...then totally forgot what they were good at...and drifted

I liked Laws, but he had nowt to work with...Shreeves?...Nice bloke...just sorta wandered in...wandered out..and said he would wander in anytime we wanted...nice sentiments...ordinary manager

Stuart Gray...as such....Not given a chance when the money came in was he?

Delphjon talks of The Wednesday family...Gray was the orphan that was kicked out before he got a real chance wasn't he?

So to Carlos, lobsters. meat on the grill and no medical staff....then Jos...With enough beefs to upset our best players..enough nous to draw a bloody game, but no will to win..

If Sergio Leone had written it...it would read 

" The good , The bad and the totally indifferent"

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
56 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Viv Anderson- he was in the same team! 

It's not very often I give kudos.

But Alan, the time has come to bestow you with that honour.

Your swfc knowledge is truly impressive.

Edited by Bulgaria

Guest Bulgaria
32 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

fans love a terrible manager.  No-one ever complains about Ashurst, Williams, Wilson, Burtenshaw, Jewell, Irvine, Turner, Shreeves, Eustace.

Poppycock.

My dad's working partner lived next door to Eustace up at hollow meadows and I was so angry with his tactics I once pissed in his rose bushes.

1 minute ago, Bulgaria said:

Poppycock.

My dad's working partner lived next door to Eustace up at hollow meadows and I was so angry with his tactics I once pissed in his rose bushes.

Some of the worst football Ive ever seen....You stood on the Kop and you simply could not see us scoring.No crosses..hardly any chances...it was abysmal...