Trevor Francis

12 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

It's not very often I give kudos.

But Alan, the time has come to bestow you with that honour.

Your swfc knowledge is truly impressive.

Wouldn't be the first time I've been called something that sounds like it begins with ku...

Give my regards to the other wombles

3 hours ago, Craig enock said:

Bit random but wanted too know why he wasnt at the 150 year anniversary doo last year . I was only 6 or 7 when he managed us but I loved going with my dad to watch us play at that time . I've read 1 or 2 negative opinions on him on here over the years and just wanted some feedback on your thoughts on him as our manager . 

Loved the time under Francis. Played the best football seen at Hillsborough I have ever seen. We were that close to the big time. Some on here criticise him but I think he got us so near to being a top top club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

To summarise 

- poor manager

- rode Atkinson’s team for a couple of years

- made some excellent signings on the back of his reputation as a player

- Made a complete mess of things when he had to build his own side

- did nothing as a manager after he got the sack at Hillsborough 

It was Interesting to hear Carlton Palmers thoughts on him during his owl sanctuary podcast, when he confirmed a few of my thoughts above 

Yes, I remember Palmer under Francis.

Got in the England squad.

Also took it upon himself to try and remove Jan Molby's private parts at the start of what was going to be 'our season'.

Then he showed his commitment to the cause again by signing for Leeds.

In a great side he was very good at what he did for us, particularly alongside Sheridan in midfield.

Although he eventually found his level  doing bookies adverts.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Loads of negative comments about Francis on here.  And Carvahal.  Reading this forum, I've learned they were our worst two managers in our history.

Our fans love a terrible manager.  No-one ever complains about Ashurst, Williams, Wilson, Burtenshaw, Jewell, Irvine, Turner, Shreeves, Eustace.

Ah, for the good old days.  Getting twonked by Darlington, Cambridge and York City.

(Yes, I am being sarcastic).

Nowt wrong with Francis , I think he had a plan . Carlos isn’t fit to lace his boots ... he had no plan . I’m not comparing Carlos ‘blow all your money on abdi Rhodes and jones’ so blokes like Jewell and yorath who didn’t have a pot to wee wee in . Hardly a fair comparison 

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Poppycock.

My dad's working partner lived next door to Eustace up at hollow meadows and I was so angry with his tactics I once pissed in his rose bushes.

Mmm,  I take it that you don't know that weeing on Rose Bushes, makes them grow better !

:Sid:

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, np pontefract said:

Mmm,  I take it that you don't know that weeing on Rose Bushes, makes them grow better !

:Sid:

Trust me, with the amount of stones bitter in my bladder on the night in question those roses would not have been best pleased and in no state to reach for the stars.

Trevor Francis...………….. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?    best remembered for not signing Eric Cantona

because   "he had not seen him play on grass"  cos it was winter when he was with us and the pitches were frozen.

BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER

Had 4 years in charge of a very good Wednesday team in a time when the likes of SWFC were serious challengers to the top '6' in the PL 

He had two good seasons and two seasons overseeing the demise of a bunch of players the fans held in high regard from 91, and replacing them with inferior players. He failed to stamp his authority of the team, which seemingly reflected his general career and character.

I' along with many on the kop in 95 chanted for him to go against Notts Forest as they took a very fragile Wednesday team apart 1-7. This was the end for him, and although as many have said, we did finish mid-table in the PL, it was a low point for him following 5 years of genuine belief we were going places.

TF's career peaked at SWFC - he knows he could have done better with hindsight, but then again don't we all.

I don't really buy this he inherited a good team and went with it nonsense, I doubt his team talks consisted of saying "go out and do what Big Ron told you to do lads we'll be fine" and also why aren't the leagues littered with successful teams that lesser managers have taken on from the greats.

He bought Waddle to S6 and beat the grunters at Wembley for these alone I won't say a bad word about the man.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Some of the worst football Ive ever seen....You stood on the Kop and you simply could not see us scoring.No crosses..hardly any chances...it was abysmal...

This could be about 75% of managers from the last 20 years.

4 hours ago, attyjake said:

Trevor Francis...………….. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?    best remembered for not signing Eric Cantona

because   "he had not seen him play on grass"  cos it was winter when he was with us and the pitches were frozen.

BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER

I reckon one of our biggest mistakes, if not the biggest, was allowing Wilko to leave. He took half of our team with him and won the league, FFS.