First three close to agreeing deals

9 hours ago, Beholder said:

Palmer is consistent, technically adept, has a good sense of what is going on around him, good pass completion, rarely loses the ball, versatile, comfotable on the ball, defensively strong.

His attacking side let's him down but I think most sensible fans can look beyond that . All players have some limitations. (Actually thinking about this the were several notable exceptions to this since Bruce arrived)

But it would be nice to open a thread and not have to feckin defend him again to people who literally can't see beyond their own preconceptions.

Your first paragraph states the obvious in that all defenders should possess those abilities as a given and I would argue (without checking the facts) purely on my own observations that he is in the bottom fifth for overall performance in the Championship for his position. 

If you put all the right backs and left back defenders in a line and asked the Managers to choose the player of their choice then he would be one of the last to be chosen.

We all have preconceptions and one of yours appears to be because he is a Wednesday player then he must be good.    

Some of his stats have been shown and they don't make for good reading if you can produce stats which show that he is constantly in the top performers in the league then I will bow to the evidence.

For me, he is playing above his ability and if we are serious about progressing then he shouldn't be seen as a first choice player. I

would be delighted if he made me eat my words by turning in quality performances week in week out.  He is an honest player and must be a managers dream to manage as he is rarely injured and just gets on with it. 

Just for the record, I'm not one to boo players I only encourage.  

17 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He'd be a decent squad player for most Championship clubs, and considering his form in the back half of last season, he'd be a starter for most lower half teams.

I never understand the scramble to criticise or dismiss our own players from some Wednesday fans.

True, Palmer is more than adequate. One of those players who when they've gone everybody will be saying " what a great player he was".

• Haha 1

Glad to hear that all three are close to signing on, be great to get some certainty early on in the window. 

Now, as for real purpose of the thread, Palmer. It’s really weird that in modern society people are so binary. He’s either first name on team sheet, or terrible get rid. There’s so much room in between those two and as football is dependent on variables such as form, fitness, opposition etc that can change for any given time. 

At any other club i’m Sure Palmer would be raised by the cheers of supporters as one of their own, here we almost take fact he’s a kid that supported Wednesday and obviously can’t be good enough to play for the team he supported. 

There are many great posts on here that quite rightly point out that Palmer has been hugely dependable, never seemingly moaned at being back up or playing out of position, likely on less than many similar level players and cost us nowt. What’s not to like about having a player like that in the squad. When he plays he’s solid enough, when he’s reserve he’s professional. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He'd be a decent squad player for most Championship clubs, and considering his form in the back half of last season, he'd be a starter for most lower half teams.

I never understand the scramble to criticise or dismiss our own players from some Wednesday fans.

Do you not think the reason some don’t want Palmer is simply because of how you have described him , a lower half team player !! Think fans prefer a higher league player that’s all . 

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

Your first paragraph states the obvious in that all defenders should possess those abilities as a given and I would argue (without checking the facts) purely on my own observations that he is in the bottom fifth for overall performance in the Championship for his position. 

If you put all the right backs and left back defenders in a line and asked the Managers to choose the player of their choice then he would be one of the last to be chosen.

We all have preconceptions and one of yours appears to be because he is a Wednesday player then he must be good.    

Some of his stats have been shown and they don't make for good reading if you can produce stats which show that he is constantly in the top performers in the league then I will bow to the evidence.

For me, he is playing above his ability and if we are serious about progressing then he shouldn't be seen as a first choice player. I

would be delighted if he made me eat my words by turning in quality performances week in week out.  He is an honest player and must be a managers dream to manage as he is rarely injured and just gets on with it. 

Just for the record, I'm not one to boo players I only encourage.  

I'm not interested in arguing the to5s with you because i can set the kind of poster you are and it's futile.

All I'll say is I am rating him as a footballer, not just cos he is a Wednesday player. There have been plenty who I dont rate.

Edited by Beholder
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Do you not think the reason some don’t want Palmer is simply because of how you have described him , a lower half team player !! Think fans prefer a higher league player that’s all . 

I was replying to a poster who suggested that no other team would want Palmer, which is nonsense.

I'm not suggesting he's a standout player - he's not - but he is a more than adequate squad player, and every team needs some of those.

Last summer I'd have said no way should Palmer be given a new contract, particularly after the opening match at Preston where he was absolutely dire.  He got his act together after that, steadily improved under Jos (probably the only one that did), was very consistent under SB & absolutely deserved a new contract.

However if the Odubajo & Bidwell rumours are true he could still struggle to earn a regular place.  I expect Odubajo to be used more as a RWB or LWB (where he played for most of last season).  I personally don't see Iorfa as a centre back & for me would be 1st choice right back because of his attacking abilities. That leaves Palmer to vie for the left back spot with Bidwell or perhaps used at right back in some away matches where a more defensive set up might be needed.

I’d personally just recruit a designated left back. Right back is covered with Palmer and Iorfa. We need a couple of central midfielders and 2 wingers or wide attackers. We need to target our recruitment in the right areas without stock piling full backs.

1 hour ago, mogbad said:

Last summer I'd have said no way should Palmer be given a new contract, particularly after the opening match at Preston where he was absolutely dire.  He got his act together after that, steadily improved under Jos (probably the only one that did), was very consistent under SB & absolutely deserved a new contract.

However if the Odubajo & Bidwell rumours are true he could still struggle to earn a regular place.  I expect Odubajo to be used more as a RWB or LWB (where he played for most of last season).  I personally don't see Iorfa as a centre back & for me would be 1st choice right back because of his attacking abilities. That leaves Palmer to vie for the left back spot with Bidwell or perhaps used at right back in some away matches where a more defensive set up might be needed.

But Iorfa was rarely chosen at right back over Palmer He mainly played there when Palmer moved over to cover the right back slot. There’s been no indication, as yet, that we will play three at the back, with wing backs

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

But Iorfa was rarely chosen at right back over Palmer He mainly played there when Palmer moved over to cover the right back slot. There’s been no indication, as yet, that we will play three at the back, with wing backs

Errr, what? As soon as Iorfa signed, he started every game he was available at RB and when both him and Palmer were available, he was the chosen RB and Palmer was moved to LB

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I am pretty sure Bruce has told Palmer when signing a new deal. Play like last season and it dont matter who we sign you'll be in the team.

You're pretty sure? Or do you just think you'd have said that, therefore Bruce *must* have said that too :tango:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

I am pretty sure Bruce has told Palmer when signing a new deal. Play like last season and it dont matter who we sign you'll be in the team.

I'm pretty sure SB won't give that sort of guarantee to any player, never mind Liam Palmer.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Once Iorfa was up to speed fitness wise I thought he was 1st at choice at right back.  If we're not going to be playing wing backs then I'd expect Odubajo to be selected over & above Iorfa, Palmer & Bidwell for either of the full back positions.

10 minutes ago, mogbad said:

I'm pretty sure SB won't give that sort of guarantee to any player, never mind Liam Palmer.

My point is more everyone assumes we are going to be getting a replacement for Palmer. We may not and Bruce also may think he doesn't need to.

9 hours ago, Beholder said:

I'm not interested in arguing the to5s with you because i can set the kind of poster you are and it's futile.

All I'll say is I am rating him as a footballer, not just cos he is a Wednesday player. There have been plenty who I dont rate.

Fair enough I thought we were having an honest debate on the merits of a player.  

• Like 1