First three close to agreeing deals

1 minute ago, Minton said:

But he *is* there to do that, part of a full-back's role is to support the attack, put in crosses and create chances. Liam Palmer does neither of those things and at 27 with nearly 300 games under his belt, I find it unlikely that he will ever be able to do that.

It depends who you are playing against....doesn't it?

It would be bloody pointless to let Palmer go gallopin' off..If he is marking a main player who is a threat...

are you saying you wouldn't have offered him a new deal?

Cos thats what this thread is about...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

It depends who you are playing against....doesn't it?

It would be bloody pointless to let Palmer go gallopin' off..If he is marking a main player who is a threat...

are you saying you wouldn't have offered him a new deal?

Cos thats what this thread is about...

As a benchwarmer, yes. But we should be looking to replace him as soon as possible

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

The thread title is about agreeing deals mate

What would you do first...?..Let him go..then hope to sign better?

You said 

"No end product"

He's a good defender...his game is to STOP the opposition..

Its fair enough to want better...Its pointless not to...

You just took it as opportunity to simply slate him...for not doing..something he's not really there to do

The modern right and left backs are more than just simply defenders they are expected to support the attack this is where Palmer is sadly lacking, his crossing is poor and often makes the wrong decision when it comes to making that insightful pass. 

I'm pleased that he seems to be staying but I see him as a second choice rather than first.  

I have outlined my criticisms of the player I'm waiting for someone to refute them.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

The modern right and left backs are more than just simply defenders they are expected to support the attack this is where Palmer is sadly lacking, his crossing is poor and often makes the wrong decision when it comes to making that insightful pass. 

I'm pleased that he seems to be staying but I see him as a second choice rather than first.  

I have outlined my criticisms of the player I'm waiting for someone to refute them.

These are question marks against EVERY f.ookin' ONE of the players mate..We ALL want better...

This thread is about 3 deals made...whether benchwarmers or first teamers

3 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

There’s truth in that, but are you saying then, that another of three, Westwood, should only be a bench warmer, because he can’t play out with his feet, as modern keepers are expected to do?

7 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

These are question marks against EVERY f.ookin' ONE of the players mate..We ALL want better...

This thread is about 3 deals made...whether benchwarmers or first teamers

OK to make it simple I rate all the players in the squad at least a 6 out of 10 but I rate Palmer as a 4 out of ten.  We either need to get him to up his game to get to a 6 or replace him with a player who is a 7.  Then concentrate on getting the squad to 7, 8 and 9's.

We need to up the quality that's all I'm saying.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Time to get this thread back on track, methinks.

So, Westwood - who else would want him, eh? 

:duntmatter:

Not Mycroft...Westwood simply hasn't got a goal in him..Go on refute it?

You f.ookin' can't lol

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 1

OK to make it simple I rate all the players in the squad at least a 6 out of 10 but I rate Palmer as a 4 out of ten.  We either need to get him to up his game to get to a 6 or replace him with a player who is a 7.  Then concentrate on getting the squad to 7, 8 and 9's.

We need to up the quality that's all I'm saying.

we KNOW.....but you can't do that first can you?

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

There’s truth in that, but are you saying then, that another of three, Westwood, should only be a bench warmer, because he can’t play out with his feet, as modern keepers are expected to do?

You have absolutely baffled me there.  I'm sure I have seen Westwood use his feet on many occasions. 

2 hours ago, evaD said:

Utterly bizarre isn't it. You'd think they'd want to get behind the one Wednesday lad in the team who, as it happens, just had his best season for the club to date

And considering how he came through the ranks and has been loyal.

• Haha 1

Jeez shall we just say we are missing each other's points and leaving it at that?

Any more poems in the offing?  One about Palmer maybe?

Not a problem mate...

Do you cook?

If you are doin' spaghetti Bolognaise...and you haven't either Spaghetti, tomatos, mincemeat..

Do you expect 'em suddenly to appear...Cos you want to do  Spaghetti Bolognaise?

2 hours ago, megsonstheman said:

Who else would want palmer?

Defends far better than Jack Hunt and similar record of assists etc in his attacking play.

Hunt secured a £1.5 million move to Bristol C. last season no problem.

Palmer selected for Scottish squad recently too so have no doubt he would easily get a move to another Championship club on a free.

Worth a new contract but might have to fight for a place next season unless Iorfa moves to centre back. 

The strong rumours are that we are possibly signing Obujado and Bidwell having already bought in Iorfa.

This illustrates what Bruce wants from full backs, on top of being able to defend he likes them to have the pace and energy to continually get forward.

Palmer lacks this but has developed into a solid defender so I am not surprised we are offering him a new deal 

8 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Jeez shall we just say we are missing each other's points and leaving it at that?

Any more poems in the offing?  One about Palmer maybe?

I'd rather keep a right back

who's forward movement might lack

The poise of Roland or the pace of Hunt

but let one go for free, or for some nominal fee?

without cover..makes me look an utter c ***

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The strong rumours are that we are possibly signing Obujado and Bidwell having already bought in Iorfa.

This illustrates what Bruce wants from full backs, on top of being able to defend he likes them to have the pace and energy to continually get forward.

Palmer lacks this but has developed into a solid defender so I am not surprised we are offering him a new deal 

I think it’s about having options, Odubajo was rarely chosen at right back last season, and Iorfa sees himself as a centre back. Both though, offer more going forward, either from full back, or from whatever other positions that might play. Bidwell? I’m sure we could have borrowed better, he’s arguably an upgrade on Fox 

2 minutes ago, Jonboy27 said:

I think we have agreed to sign some solid defenders on free’s. if those mentioned are actually now ours, Bidwell, odubajo and Börner.    I think the “borrowed” will come higher up the pitch....

Well that might just be the plan yes. I see QPR are looking to replace Bidwell, with DaSilva from Chelsea That would be a significant upgrade, if they can pull it off