First three close to agreeing deals

7 minutes ago, shandypants said:

His defensive positioning

8 minutes ago, shandypants said:

his anticipation

I would argue that the number of tackles and blocks would suggest that Iorfa is better in those areas

9 minutes ago, shandypants said:

his calmness and ability not to get rattled

I would say that the fact Palmer plays far more long balls than Iorfa, dribbles less often and having less pass completion means that if anything, it's Palmer who is less calm, needing to play long passes rather than either play a short ball to a teammate or dribble with the ball longer

3 minutes ago, Minton said:

So Palmer is 'comfortable on the ball' until he hoofs it downfield, with a 65-35 chance it goes to our player, whereas Iorfa plays shorter passes with a 70-30 chance. That says to me that Iorfa is the one with more composure and Iorfa's vastly higher dribbling stats tell me that he is far more confident (and capable) of playing with the ball at his feet, which would make him 'more comfortable' with the ball at his feet

Pointless debating stats.

Iorfa is good at some aspects sometimes.

I'm not saying he is better or worse than Palmer, just a different option. 

We shall see who gets picked most to see who Bruce thinks is best. Until then , all you can do with words is go round in circles.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Minton said:

So Palmer is 'comfortable on the ball' until he hoofs it downfield, with a 65-35 chance it goes to our player, whereas Iorfa plays shorter passes with a 70-30 chance. That says to me that Iorfa is the one with more composure and Iorfa's vastly higher dribbling stats tell me that he is far more confident (and capable) of playing with the ball at his feet, which would make him 'more comfortable' with the ball at his feet

They’re all false conclusions I’m afraid. They could mean that but the stats alone don’t mean it’s the case. So many other attributes and occurrences that could produce those stats but not those conclusions.   

Iorfa came into our side after not playing any football previously last season.

Obviously not match fit and very rusty on the ball.

It will be interesting to see him after a full pre season with the team and games under his belt.

He is a big unit and a big character with the ability to make things happen. If we get him fit and confident he will scare teams to death attacking down the flank, and at set pieces.

We need characters like this in the team, we have been insipid for too long.

Of course he has to show he can defend, something Palmer was brilliant at last season. 

But Bruce likes character in his team and at full back he likes players that can get backward and forward all day. This is why I think he brought two full backs in in January. Neither Palmer nor Fox have the stamina and energy to do this.

5 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Iorfa came into our side after not playing any football previously last season.

Obviously not match fit and very rusty on the ball.

It will be interesting to see him after a full pre season with the team and games under his belt.

He is a big unit and a big character with the ability to make things happen. If we get him fit and confident he will scare teams to death attacking down the flank, and at set pieces.

We need characters like this in the team, we have been insipid for too long.

Of course he has to show he can defend, something Palmer was brilliant at last season. 

But Bruce likes character in his team and at full back he likes players that can get backward and forward all day. This is why I think he brought two full backs in in January. Neither Palmer nor Fox have the stamina and energy to do this.

Yet didn't Palmer play virtually every game for him.

Thought Palmer really evolved last season into a more complete full/wing back - his call up to international football and a new contract was much deserved.

He's homegrown and has withstood a lot of managers and changes within his career with us, which suggests he has got something that some of our fans fail to see. 

I think his development and his career should be celebrated, hopefully we will have a lot more of his ilk coming through our ranks. 

Edited by AwokenGiant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Yet didn't Palmer play virtually every game for him.

Bruce is not stupid. He was simply playing the best cards he had.

Lazaar played about one and a half games and Palmer was a far better option at left back than Fox.

Palmer deserves a new contract.

However next season I just think Bruce will want full backs who carry the team up the pitch and make things happen. He has at his previous teams.

Palmer struggles to do this but obviously if the other options turn out to be poor defensively he will play.

Iorfa plays short passes.

Palmer plays long passes.

Not sure how accurate these statements are, but even if correct, you can't use them to argue that Iorfa is a better player.

Havent we, virtually all of us, spent most of the last two seasons (pre-Bullen/Bruce) complaining that we do too much short passing: fullback to Lees, to Bannan, to Lees, to fullback, to Hutchinson... Too much short passing gets us nowhere. We need to move the ball forward quicker, even if it has a lower success rate.

Palmer does more long passes because he looks for the runner down the channel, be it Reach or Matias or Fletcher. Iorfa is more a variation on Pelupessy: give it Bannan to deal with.

3 minutes ago, Minton said:

I would argue that the number of tackles and blocks would suggest that Iorfa is better in those areas

I would say that the fact Palmer plays far more long balls than Iorfa, dribbles less often and having less pass completion means that if anything, it's Palmer who is less calm, needing to play long passes rather than either play a short ball to a teammate or dribble with the ball longer

Your proving your point by stats again and putting your interpretation on them as an added bonus. It's been shown time and again that pass completion rate is unreliable particularly when combined with short passing as this combination is often a limited player can achieve a near perfect completion rate if he always plays the short pass.  I would say the fact that Palmer plays more long balls could just as easily be because he's more confident and has more ability to do so. We don't really see Palmer panicking much and having to knock it long to get out of trouble.  We often see Reach or Fletcher making the run in front of Palmer on that right hand side which requires the long pass down the line - that's a positive thing not a negative. Also, the "dribbling" stat is misleading; Iorfa is hardly Chris Waddle is he? He has the ability to knock it passed a player and then beat that opponent with pace (which is a fantastic weapon) whereas Palmer tends to work his way forward through passing interplay with his colleagues.  

Palmer is far from a player that panics. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Your proving your point by stats again and putting your interpretation on them as an added bonus. It's been shown time and again that pass completion rate is unreliable particularly when combined with short passing as this combination is often a limited player can achieve a near perfect completion rate if he always plays the short pass.  I would say the fact that Palmer plays more long balls could just as easily be because he's more confident and has more ability to do so. We don't really see Palmer panicking much and having to knock it long to get out of trouble.  We often see Reach or Fletcher making the run in front of Palmer on that right hand side which requires the long pass down the line - that's a positive thing not a negative. Also, the "dribbling" stat is misleading; Iorfa is hardly Chris Waddle is he? He has the ability to knock it passed a player and then beat that opponent with pace (which is a fantastic weapon) whereas Palmer tends to work his way forward through passing interplay with his colleagues.  

Palmer is far from a player that panics. 

Except Palmer doesn't work his way forward much does he? And when he does, his creation of either chances or scoring goals isn't there. Whereas Iorfa actually has an end product

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Minton said:

Except Palmer doesn't work his way forward much does he? And when he does, his creation of either chances or scoring goals isn't there. Whereas Iorfa actually has an end product

Palmer does make his way forward quite a lot, particularly in the second half of games.  He plays some excellent stuff. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Palmer does make his way forward quite a lot, particularly in the second half of games.  He plays some excellent stuff. 

Except in 271 appearances he's got 10 assists and 1 goal... I'd say that's *far* from excellent in the final third.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s like, so many of our fans believe Reda Johnson was a great defender, because he scored goals from the back Yes he was useful in the opponents box, but he wasn’t much good at his day job If we get goals and assists from a defender, it’s a bonus, but first and foremost, they must be able to defend. Palmer does this, he’s rock solid, certainly more solid than our other right back options, current or envisaged

On 02/06/2019 at 20:38, Lee A said:

Dear SWFC

Further to your enquiry, I can confirm that we'd happily find a place for Liam Palmer in our squad.

Whilst we cannot guarantee that he will start games on a weekly basis, having a hard working, professional, versatile player of a good age who is capped at full international level and likely not to be earning bank breaking wages, seems like very shrewd business and frankly you're a bunch of bellends for letting him go. 

Sincerely.

Almost every manager in the championship.

Dear non-league managers,

Liam could do a job for you, unfortunately he is nowhere near the required standard for league football. After more than 10 years with our club and with a succession of varying managers he has continually failed to nail down a first team position. This is due to his lack of positional sense, poor crossing and pass completion . However, his worst trait is the lack of urgency to get back to his defensive duties after losing the ball in the attacking half.

Hope you can make a footballer of him.....he's a nice lad!

Sincerely,

MTM

• Thanks 1