First three close to agreeing deals

There was a point last season when Palmer and Fox were playing regularly and if someone had posted that we arguably had the worst two full-backs in the division, there wouldn't have been too much arguing with that statement.

Granted both of them improved in the second half of the season particularly Palmer but neither are good enough to be regularly a part of a promotion chasing side. Palmer's solid defensively but poor going forward. Fox is poor on both counts. The fact one of the first things Bruce did when he came in was sign two new full-backs on his first day in charge said it all for me.

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

There was a point last season when Palmer and Fox were playing regularly and if someone had posted that we arguably had the worst two full-backs in the division, there wouldn't have been too much arguing with that statement.

Granted both of them improved in the second half of the season particularly Palmer but neither are good enough to be regularly a part of a promotion chasing side. Palmer's solid defensively but poor going forward. Fox is poor on both counts. The fact one of the first things Bruce did when he came in was sign two new full-backs on his first day in charge said it all for me.

Yet played Palmer....even at left back

So how many games did they play at full back, not many

Palmer cost us nothing, can’t be on a massive wage & is a solid defensive fullback. We need a better first choice if we want to challenge but I’m more than happy he’s a capable back up option.

We need to improve the first team as a priority, adding strength in depth will have to come over the next couple of years - he’s good enough for now.

5 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Palmer cost us nothing, can’t be on a massive wage & is a solid defensive fullback. We need a better first choice if we want to challenge but I’m more than happy he’s a capable back up option.

We need to improve the first team as a priority, adding strength in depth will have to come over the next couple of years - he’s good enough for now.

My argument would be, there are greater priorities to upgrade, other than right back. In the main, we were pretty solid at the back, it was further forward where we had issues

Edited by gurujuan

47 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Do you cook?

If you are doin' spaghetti Bolognaise...and you haven't either Spaghetti, tomatos, mincemeat..

Do you expect 'em suddenly to appear...Cos you want to do  Spaghetti Bolognaise?

This has all the hallmarks of an interview with Carlos.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

My argument would be, there are greater priorities to upgrade, other than right back. In the main, we were pretty solid at the back, it was further forward where we had issues

Surely a more attacking left back (which is where Palmer ended up playing) would be part of solving those issues

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Surely a more attacking left back (which is where Palmer ended up playing) would be part of solving those issues

To be honest, yes left back is a priority, certainly more so than right back

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Not a problem mate...

Do you cook?

If you are doin' spaghetti Bolognaise...and you haven't either Spaghetti, tomatos, mincemeat..

Do you expect 'em suddenly to appear...Cos you want to do  Spaghetti Bolognaise?

Is that a free verse poem?

16 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

If he's as bad as some on here suggest, it makes you wonder why Bruce has offered him a new contract, doesn't it?

Nobody is saying that Palmer is a world-beater, but he's a more-than-solid squad player who'll fill in when others are injured, out of form, or in need of a rest; as he did in two promotion-chasing sides when playing under Carvalhal.

For some reason, some of our so-called supporters use the merest mention of his name as an opportunity to list all the aspects of his game which could be improved, rather than appreciating any of the positive attributes which make him a useful player to have in our squad.

It's bloody weird.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So how many games did they play at full back, not many

Does it matter? Bruce is supposedly in the market for Odubajo and Bidwell. Are they not full-backs? It tells me he’s not totally convinced about Palmer and Fox. A bit like you not totally convinced with Rhodes :biggrin:

Does it matter? Bruce is supposedly in the market for Odubajo and Bidwell. Are they not full-backs? It tells me he’s not totally convinced about Palmer and Fox. A bit like you not totally convinced with Rhodes :biggrin:

WE finished halfway down the league...bet theres a few he's not convinced with mate

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If he's as bad as some on here suggest, it makes you wonder why Bruce has offered him a new contract, doesn't it?

Nobody is saying that Palmer is a world-beater, but he's a more-than-solid squad player who'll fill in when others are injured, out of form, or in need of a rest; as he did in two promotion-chasing sides when playing under Carvalhal.

For some reason, some of our so-called supporters use the merest mention of his name as an opportunity to list all the aspects of his game which could be improved, rather than appreciating any of the positive attributes which make him a useful player to have in our squad.

It's bloody weird.

I’m not arguing with you. Football is all about opinions. Perhaps Palmer filling in ably at left-back for a time last season has swayed Bruce? Solid squad player and all that. I’m just saying I don’t believe he’s good enough to be our regular first choice right-back if we want to get promoted.

3 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Well Bidwell is, Odubajo doesn’t operate there much these days

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I’m not arguing with you. Football is all about opinions. Perhaps Palmer filling in ably at left-back for a time last season has swayed Bruce? Solid squad player and all that. I’m just saying I don’t believe he’s good enough to be our regular first choice right-back if we want to get promoted.

To be fair, I initially quoted you then got distracted and came back to my post, only for it to spiral off into something quite different - and kind of irrelevant to your post.

:duntmatter:

I agree with the above - he's a solid squad player. I just don't understand why that's not enough for some of our fans, nor why every thread in which he's mentioned turns into a complete clusterfuck.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Well Bidwell is, Odubajo doesn’t operate there much these days

So what are you complaining about.

We definitely need a left back and a left centre back. If Odubajo doesn’t operate at right back then we are not tampering with that position.

He is a pacy free transfer signing who can operate further up the pitch. Importantly the manager knows exactly what he brings.

Bruce has an impressive record on the use of the loan market and given our financial position I would expect that to continue. Or do you think that he is all of a sudden going to give up on the loan market. 

Could we have signed loans instead of the players we are rumoured to be getting. Of course we could. We could probably sign loans to improve on most of our squad/team but we need a mix.

The other issue is timing. Now is the time in the window when free agents who are any good get picked up. Loans tend to being discussed now but nothing really happens until later in the window.

• Thanks 1