What will it take for our stars to finally align?

1 hour ago, tarn owl said:

A Human Sacrifice? Maybe we need to sacrifice Jon Beswetherick and maybe Jay Bothroyd to the gods? Either that or don't get injured and start well, But the human sacrifice is more realistic.

1 hour ago, Greengrass said:

A south westerly force 5 with some white horses thrown in & 12 pints of beer should do the trick.

Failing that a good manager and an injury free team.

tumblr_n0mjcmcR4m1rrsb9qo3_400.gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Probobably right. 

We get what we deserve. 

I think we all wish we could have done a bit better over the years though. 

I do too.

But it's got nowt to do with luck, or astrology.

Football clubs are like any other organisation, the successful ones are well run from top to bottom.

21 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Good thread Sam.  I was going to do a similar thread to the one you made a while ago.  I never completed it.  

Interesting point to note, the period since we have been out of the top flight has coincided with the mammoth tv deals and parachute payments.  

I would be interested to see which of the teams who were promoted out the bunch, went up off the back of parachute payments.  

5 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Don't want it to turn into a self pity thread however I was trying to work out which teams have managed promotion to the Prem during the time that we have been out of it. It's hugely frustrating to see this list. 57 opportunities to get promoted in 19 years. 32 different teams have achieved it. 

Since 2000 Number of Promotions to the top flight.

Norwich City 4

West Brom 4

Birmingham City 3

Burnley 3

Hull City 3

Wolves 3

Cardiff City 2

Crystal Palace 2

Fulham 2

Leicester 2

Newcastle Utd 2

QPR 2

Reading 2

Sheff Utd 2

Sunderland 2

Watford 2

West Ham 2

Aston Villa 1

Blackburn 1

Blackpool 1

Bolton 1

Bournemouth 1

Brighton  1

Derby 1

Huddersfield 1

Man City 1

Middlesbrough 1

Portsmouth 1

Southampton 1

Stoke City 1

Swansea City 1

Wigan Ath 1

What miracles have to occur for us to finally do it? 

Of the above promotions 11 have been achieved with the aid of parachute payments. Based on them achieving promotion within two years of relegation from the Premier League. Looking at promotions achieved after the introduction of parachute payments.

Norwich 2015

West Brom 2010

Birmingham 2009

Burnley 2016

Hull 2016

Newcastle 2010 & 2017

Sunderland 2007

West Ham 2012

Aston Villa 2019

• Thanks 1

I want Bruce to do it so I can kick myself for having little faith. More and more it pains me to see how far we have been left behind in football. 

Super rich owners ten a penny it seems now. Clubs who had similar sized fan bases or stadiums have rode off into the sunset and perennial strugglers have managed to get a seat at the high table while we have rotted in the lowers leagues. 

I give massive credit to MM for undoubtedly saving us and DC for making that dream tangible again. Sometimes it feels like we are cursed and being in the abyss for 20 years doesn’t help. 

I would love to see us back in the PL sooner rather than later. Apologies if this post came across as negative or wanting pity, I don’t but with every year that passes it gets harder but I will always keep dreaming. UTO 

• Like 1

Our junior neighbours have shown one way to do it. Wilder has got a team of no-hopers to come second.  He made them believe they were better players than they are, and go out to win. As Paul Sturrock said, draws kill you.  It's not rocket science , draws are no good 

We really did get the mucky end of the stick when we were relegated from the Premier League.

No parachute payments and players on premiership wages at a time when wages were increasing but with the ITV digital collapse and little income in the championship meant we were in big trouble. 

On top of that we had no investment and unlike other teams in our situation didn't go into administration. 

We have paid dearly for it.

9 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Don't want it to turn into a self pity thread however I was trying to work out which teams have managed promotion to the Prem during the time that we have been out of it. It's hugely frustrating to see this list. 57 opportunities to get promoted in 19 years. 32 different teams have achieved it. 

Since 2000 Number of Promotions to the top flight.

Norwich City 4

West Brom 4

Birmingham City 3

Burnley 3

Hull City 3

Wolves 3

Cardiff City 2

Crystal Palace 2

Fulham 2

Leicester 2

Newcastle Utd 2

QPR 2

Reading 2

Sheff Utd 2

Sunderland 2

Watford 2

West Ham 2

Aston Villa 1

Blackburn 1

Blackpool 1

Bolton 1

Bournemouth 1

Brighton  1

Derby 1

Huddersfield 1

Man City 1

Middlesbrough 1

Portsmouth 1

Southampton 1

Stoke City 1

Swansea City 1

Wigan Ath 1

What miracles have to occur for us to finally do it? 

Bloody hell mate!

Seriously that is f.ookin' ridiculous isn't it?

I honestly don't know the answer

Some of the time we have had board upheaval.....manager upheaval...crap players...Good managers with crap players...interspersed with bad managers with good players...

Gypsies p*ssin' on corner flags...corner flags playin' left wing...Monks p*ssin' on Gypsies...Monks in the net..G ypsies up front?

God knows

IT HAS TO END BRUCIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Bloody hell mate!

Some of the time we have had board upheaval.....manager upheaval...crap players...Good managers with crap players...interspersed with bad managers with good players...

Gypsies p*ssin' on corner flags...corner flags playin' left wing...Monks p*ssin' on Gypsies...Monks in the net..G ypsies up front?

God knows

IT HAS TO END BRUCIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell mate!

God knows

That just about sums it up about the last 20 years.But hopefully with some guarded optimism we can finally break that cycle of frustation. :tango:

42 clubs have played Premier League football more recently than we have.

Quite a depressing stat and also (given the potential leg up that gives a club) shows how difficult it is for us to get back up there.

Add to the fact our youth and scouting systems were neglected for the best part of a decade and you start to see what an almighty task it is.

Having said all that, there's more pieces in place for a return now than at any time since we were relegated.

Proper manager with contacts

Basis of a decent first XI

Possibly funds available if we've swerved the P&S issue

I don't think we can be written off next season, but we have a big 8 weeks ahead of us if we're to compete.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

42 clubs have played Premier League football more recently than we have.

Quite a depressing stat and also (given the potential leg up that gives a club) shows how difficult it is for us to get back up there.

Add to the fact our youth and scouting systems were neglected for the best part of a decade and you start to see what an almighty task it is.

Having said all that, there's more pieces in place for a return now than at any time since we were relegated.

Proper manager with contacts

Basis of a decent first XI

Possibly funds available if we've swerved the P&S issue

I don't think we can be written off next season, but we have a big 8 weeks ahead of us if we're to compete.

my sentiments exactly.:tango:

9 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

The one thing that will guarantee promotion is this...... I have done a little mock up below of a Buddhist monk blessing the ground (please excuse the old club badge on the wall). This will do it deffo!

Image result for buddhist monk blesses hillsborough football ground

Tango's old man then ? :tango:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1