Weakest Championship for years.

1 hour ago, striker said:

Just seen that!, however still don't see them repeating last season. The element of surprise they had has been lost to a certain extent. 

Hope you are right, but I’m not so sure. Bielsa is a top, top coach and I would be amazed if those dirty wànkers are not in the promotion mix up come the end of the season...

I expect the Championship WILL be tough this year. My best guess is that not more than 1 in 8 sides in the Championship will be promoted to the Premier League, and also that a like share will be relegated to League 1. You heard it here first. Well, maybe not.

Strictly speaking, there is little evidence-based meaning to the idea that a League is good or bad in a given year. What would validate the claim from evidence is how well the League does against other opponents. That would have to mean in Cup play, against the PL and the lower leagues. But the sample size is relatively small, and there is a lot of randomness in football, so it is hard to judge.

What we mean by a difficult League I am guessing is: are there any sides at the beginning which seem destined to blow the others out of the water? Like maybe it seemed with Wolves last season, or Newcastle on their last visit to our division. Implicitly lowering the odds for everyone else to at best 2 in 23 rather than 1 in 8.

I suspect what we really mean by an easy League is a balanced League. This past season was a pretty good example. When the League is balanced, the outcome seems more or less random. For example, that team that plays in our old cast-off pitch near Shoreham Street seemed to win promotion more or less randomly. Were they really better than Leeds and West Brom and Villa, or some others--including us? Not clear, but they won.

Ironically, an easy league, that is a balanced league, is a league in which every most every fixture is fiercely contested. And a hard league is a league where those who do get promoted frequently find it to be easy, because they are better than every one else. Balance might be interpreted as mediocrity, but that may be a psychological reaction to the inability to put together long runs of success, rather than a reflection of a lack of quality at the top.

Right now, it seems likely the League will be balanced next year. But that is before transfer business has been done.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

I thought first 15 and last 5 we had more snap than Hull but Hooper/ Wallace etc didn’t have shooting boots on when we got into the final third. Mind you. None of them had shooting boots on apart from Diame thank heaven!  I have no complaints about that result - they were a more experienced and cohesive outfit, more that even in the moment of victory it was clear there was summat not reyt behind the scenes there, Bruce left almost immediately and the steam went out of their trawler. I just think we might have had more of a chance of establishing a foothold in the Prem that time round than them and definitely more chance than Hudds who had a paper thin squad and no one even likely to score in the top flight.

Then again, if we’d gone up and bought Abdi and Jones anyway we would have come down faster than a gigolos shreddies.

Bang on with the signings.We may well have bought better though ig we were in Prem. Great day for Wednesday support at Wembley we did the team proud.Always think though Huddersfield was the major error. Should have blown them away at Hillsborough.

Guest The Horse

Start the season like a house on fire. That builds belief, confidence and the team then has an 'aura' about them that puts other teams on the defensive.
Too many years we only find our mojo too late in the season meaning we can't so much as afford a draw to stay in touch with the auto spots.
Plus that bit of luck where you play clubs at the right time.
It seems like we tend to play previously out of form clubs the day after they get a new manager or the like.
Hopefully we play these types whilst they are in disarray rather than after they galvanise themselves.

Historically, how many times have we said it’s going to be hardest league for years?! I agree with many on here that the championship will be open and there are no stand out teams. I genuinely think we will be a force next year. Keeping Westwood and hector will be pivotal.

1 minute ago, bobness said:

Do sails work under water? Last I checked, it's somewhere at the bottom of the Atlantic

:duntmatter:

aye the HMS PTL has done us no favours for a while..Arrogance?..lack of seamanship?..poor crew?

We need a new form of transport...innovative....futuristic...fast....lithe....sturdy...

I give you .....................................................

The Millenium Falcowl F.ookbuster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Bang on with the signings.We may well have bought better though ig we were in Prem. Great day for Wednesday support at Wembley we did the team proud.Always think though Huddersfield was the major error. Should have blown them away at Hillsborough.

spot on Hull were far better,we never turned up,no plan B but Udders then Reading ? should have pissed it

• Like 1

I don't think the quality of previous seasons is as good.

Will still be competitive because there will be a few good teams and alot of average.

Doubt they'll be an outstanding team like a Wolves or a Newcastle.

9 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

I don't think the quality of previous seasons is as good.

Will still be competitive because there will be a few good teams and alot of average.

Doubt they'll be an outstanding team like a Wolves or a Newcastle.

Its gonna be just as hard as every other year...No-one expected United...No-one expected cardiff...no-one expected huddersfield

It always happens..no-one expected norwich....

Heads down go for it...take nobody lightly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, striker said:

Just seen that!, however still don't see them repeating last season. The element of surprise they had has been lost to a certain extent. 

That's what I thought about the piggies this season!