Weakest Championship for years.

10 hours ago, Arnold said:

It gets harder every year, as more money is pumped into the division 

Then how did Blades do it on a two bob budget, and Norwich not much more (relatively, Rhodes they paid half salary )?

Chansiri pumped money in and went straight down toilet.

It's all about nous and Brucey and his team have that. Top 2 must be aim.  

When you are in competition against another 23 and you must finish above 22 of them the collective competition that it offers is never ever weak. Even where you have to finish above 18 of them you still need more than a little luck on your side. Injuries and suspensions and of course the officials all play their part. So Build the strongest team available from your resources and keep your fingers well crossed. Those who say weakest ever will be the same people dummy spitting come two defeats on the trot come mid October !

Thing is there’s always teams that seem to go under the radar and are up there. Look at Norwich, lost a lot of players etc nobody expected them to romp it... and look at them lot!

I think the following will be up there;

Us

West Brom

Swansea

Fulham 

Forest

Middlesbrough 

Cardiff

Leeds will implode alongside Frank Lampards Derby. Stoke will be mid table losing their better players. 

Can’t see Huddersfield doing much, think they’ll sink back to league one, along with Charlton. Also think Barnsley and Luton will be bottom half/ mid table.  

Piece of p.iss lol 

10 hours ago, Arnold said:

It gets harder every year, as more money is pumped into the division 

I think this is basically correct but it also depends on good management (see Narch/ Heeley Utd) and the loan market. 

In terms of where we need to be I couldnt help but notice the speed with which the better players on show during the play offs receive and pass the ball - some of Villas first time passing was excellent. Derby too - the way in which direct passes through the lines were going to the feet of strikers - I’ve hardly ever seen Fessi receive the kind of balls Mount and Wilson were  firing in to Waghorn and Marriott. But then you look again and notice that Derby’s brilliant ball playing centre back and midfielders are loanees - so it might come down to persuasion as much as brute finance. 

IMO Leeds buy or loan a striker and they are out of sight whatever we do. Even to get to the play offs we need to improve right down the spine - Lees isn’t comfortable enough on the ball, Fletch doesn’t score enough goals and we’ve needed a midfield “beast” for 5 years. From where we are at the minute a sustained challenge for play off places would be impressive but I can’t see us being anywhere near automatic without radical change and a return to being the “front foot” team we were for large parts of 2015-16 and occasional games since (eg recent Norwich away).

13 hours ago, modboy said:

Barnsley colleagues fancy their chances next year of pushing for the playoffs :blink:

I'll think they'll surprise or two teams,but i just cannot see them finishing anywhere near the play-offs 12th/13th at best for their first season back in the championship. :tango:

Guest Arnold
13 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Then how did Blades do it on a two bob budget, and Norwich not much more (relatively, Rhodes they paid half salary )?

Chansiri pumped money in and went straight down toilet.

It's all about nous and Brucey and his team have that. Top 2 must be aim.  

I'm mean in the fact that better standard of players are being brought into the championship. I agree spending more money does to equal success 

Guest The Horse

Too much respect being shown in this thread.

Hate to use the sour faced sod as an example but Wilder had zero respect for second tier defences and just kept the pressure on the opposition until they cracked.

Which they did. Every week.

And we did too once we decided to play in the opponent's half.

Screw this league as though it's trying to escape Alcatraz.

It's the second sodding tier.

Let's flipping have it.

I think the biggest factor is a settled sided.

United had 10 players make over 32 full league appearances last season, Norwich had 8.

We on the other hand had only 4.

Looking at our current squad can you honestly see us beating 4 next season ?

That's why for me the any new signings need to be able to play 32+ games a season. Obviously you need some luck with this, but it does seem something we have struggled with over the last few seasons.

My Dark horse tip for the Championship next season is Blackburn (providing they manage to keep their better players).

On 29/05/2019 at 23:22, The Horse said:

Too much respect being shown in this thread.

Hate to use the sour faced sod as an example but Wilder had zero respect for second tier defences and just kept the pressure on the opposition until they cracked.

Which they did. Every week.

And we did too once we decided to play in the opponent's half.

Screw this league as though it's trying to escape Alcatraz.

It's the second sodding tier.

Let's flipping have it.

Fessi, Rhodes, Westy , Joao, Fletch alone can do this puny league.

Add some steel and speed in centre and a couple more quality defenders and - like average Blades - it's top 2.