Weakest Championship for years.

55 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Weakest Championship since all we had to do was beat Huddersfield at home and then Reading to go up. What could go wrong?

I still have to take a deep breath so as not to weep at the truth of this.

no offence to Hull and Hudds fans but for the former it was a waste of a promotion them going up at our expense with the club in such obvious disarray. As for Udds - Blimey - we were boring that season and they made us look exciting - to go up without scoring in the playoffs says it all.

it will clearly be tougher than that year and any fan or player who thinks it will be easy should give their heads a shake and consider supporting PSG. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

I still have to take a deep breath so as not to weep at the truth of this.

no offence to Hull and Hudds fans but for the former it was a waste of a promotion them going up at our expense with the club in such obvious disarray. As for Udds - Blimey - we were boring that season and they made us look exciting - to go up without scoring in the playoffs says it all.

it will clearly be tougher than that year and any fan or player who thinks it will be easy should give their heads a shake and consider supporting PSG. 

We should have blown Huddersfield away but were far to negative.  Sadly the Hull game they bossed us for 85 minutes only in the last 5 did we look anything like. They still had 7 or 8 premier league players and it showed on the day.

• Like 1

Rubbish. 

Its the strongest championship for years.

Every year, more foreign talent goes to the ever richer Prem which means many decent British players drop to the championship.  

Yet every year some wednesdayite will say its weak.  How come we've never looked like getting out of it?  

I expect it to be very similar to this season. No runaway team. But to be honest no one has begun to sign players really yet. The league will be won on who does the best business between now and August.

8 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Rubbish. 

Every year, more foreign talent goes to the ever richer Prem which means many decent British players drop to the championship.  

Yet every year some wednesdayite will say its weak.  How come we've never looked like getting out of it?  

Agreed.

The Championship is now something like the third largest football league [in terms of aggregate attendance] in the World (behind the PL and Bundesliga but more fans turning up to watch from the grounds than Serie A and La Liga*) and must easily be the strongest second tier anywhere. Even in terms of average attendance of 20,000+ per game, the Championship is better supported that the top leagues in Argentina, Brazil, Holland and Russia.

(* - Admittedly, the Championship having 24 clubs as opposed to 20 or fewer has far more games and this helps this aggregate total, but it's still shows the scale and confirms that the Championship is a decent competition)

Check out the stats at:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fred mciver said:

With no Villa now, Sunderland not joining us and Leeds blowing their chance, this second league has now gotta be even weaker than last season when even Blades managed to get promotion with two bob.

Those with failure payments will surely go down Stoke route to mediocrity leaving Brucey clear to transform us, ditching wasters and adding pace , power , midfield steel, youth and vigour. With Westy too, should be play offs as a minimum. Can't wait.    

Not sure about that claim

Can only really make a prediction when I see who signs and who leaves.

I expect Stoke to make a better fist of it this season. West Brom will be up there. Bielsa has a new deal at Leeds, so provided he doesn’t walk away half way through the season I expect them to challenge again.

Not the strongest league, but still some big teams there. 11 teams (12 including us) all wanting a promotion/play off bid.

Birmingham City - Bottom half club
Blackburn Rovers - Bottom half club
Brentford - mid table/pushing for play offs
Bristol City - mid table/pushing for play offs
Cardiff City - promotion challenge
Charlton Athletic - relegation
Derby County - promotion challenge
Fulham - promotion challenge
Huddersfield Town - mid table/play offs
Hull City - mid table
Leeds United - promotion challenge
Luton Town - relegation
Middlesbrough - mid table/pushing for play offs
Millwall - bottom half club
Nottingham Forest - mid table/pushing for play offs
Preston North End - mid table
Queens Park Rangers - bottom half club
Reading - bottom half club
Sheffield Wednesday 
Stoke City - mid table/pushing for play offs
Swansea City - mid table
West Bromwich Albion - promotion challenge
Wigan Athletic - relegation

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Still loads of tough sides in there, no one will walk the league.

Birmingham City
Blackburn Rovers
Brentford
Bristol City
Cardiff City
Charlton Athletic
Derby County
Fulham
Huddersfield Town
Hull City
Leeds United
Luton Town
Middlesbrough
Millwall
Nottingham Forest
Preston North End
Queens Park Rangers
Reading
Sheffield Wednesday
Stoke City
Swansea City
West Bromwich Albion
Wigan Athletic

I would expect Leeds, Stoke & West Brom all to up there.

Derby are in the poo...their four best players belong to others and reports say they have got a pot to wee wee in.

Forest or Boro to be one of those 'surprise clubs' for me.

2 hours ago, markg said:

We say this most years 

No, most years people have said it will be hard, certainly since DC came in. Before that we didn't care if it was easy or hard because we were never going to challenge.

The truth is it's the same every year, you need to get more points than the other teams. Strong teams coming down aren't strong teams or they wouldn't have been relegated.

If you win the league it always seems easy, miss out on promotion and it seems hard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

Not the strongest league, but still some big teams there. 11 teams (12 including us) all wanting a promotion/play off bid.

Birmingham City - Bottom half club
Blackburn Rovers - Bottom half club
Brentford - mid table/pushing for play offs
Bristol City - mid table/pushing for play offs
Cardiff City - promotion challenge
Charlton Athletic - relegation
Derby County - promotion challenge
Fulham - promotion challenge
Huddersfield Town - mid table/play offs
Hull City - mid table
Leeds United - promotion challenge
Luton Town - relegation
Middlesbrough - mid table/pushing for play offs
Millwall - bottom half club
Nottingham Forest - mid table/pushing for play offs
Preston North End - mid table
Queens Park Rangers - bottom half club
Reading - bottom half club
Sheffield Wednesday 
Stoke City - mid table/pushing for play offs
Swansea City - mid table
West Bromwich Albion - promotion challenge
Wigan Athletic - relegation

Poor old Barnsley.

• Haha 3

I predict top 10 at this moment in time ,missing out on playoffs

upgrades on players and pace and maybe sneak 6th

winning the league ,no chance

to many inconsistent players who go missing when the going gets tough

hopefully Middlesbrough get relegated and then Mr Gibson will have something to moan about lol

2 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Rubbish. 

To be fair we have managed to get out of it twice over the last 19 years and  around Christmas last year I thought we had a decent chance of doing it again!!

It certainly doesn't get any weaker though.

Edited by OWL1969
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

Weakest Championship since all we had to do was beat Huddersfield at home and then Reading to go up. What could go wrong?

I hate being reminded of this. That was a much easier route than playing Hull in a one off game as they had held on to Premier league players and we simply had nothing on the bench.

We were better than Huddersfield and Reading and should have won. We would have if we'd been more adventourous

2 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

We should have blown Huddersfield away but were far to negative.  Sadly the Hull game they bossed us for 85 minutes only in the last 5 did we look anything like. They still had 7 or 8 premier league players and it showed on the day.

I thought first 15 and last 5 we had more snap than Hull but Hooper/ Wallace etc didn’t have shooting boots on when we got into the final third. Mind you. None of them had shooting boots on apart from Diame thank heaven!  I have no complaints about that result - they were a more experienced and cohesive outfit, more that even in the moment of victory it was clear there was summat not reyt behind the scenes there, Bruce left almost immediately and the steam went out of their trawler. I just think we might have had more of a chance of establishing a foothold in the Prem that time round than them and definitely more chance than Hudds who had a paper thin squad and no one even likely to score in the top flight.

Then again, if we’d gone up and bought Abdi and Jones anyway we would have come down faster than a gigolos shreddies.

• Haha 1