Keiran Lee "Might" be involved tomorrow!

Guest LondonOwl313

I’d keep him, we need more centre mids of that quality. But there’s no way we can offer him another contract on the same money. Can’t see another club offering him a big contract when he hasn’t played for 18 months, is 31 and there’s no guarantee he’ll be the same player. 

So think we should give him pre-season, and if he gets through that, a one year deal on reduced wages with an appearance bonus. If he wouldn’t accept that then we don’t have a choice he’d have to go

1 hour ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Out for 2 years but give him a new contract? 

You think he can sustain a season playing week in, week out when this league puts bigger demands on player fitness with modern tactics, pressing etc? 

Pay as you play would be the only deal any sane offer the club should consider. 

Maybe he was only out for so long because he was one of the players who were forced to play while still injured / not fully fit. Had his injuries been managed properly in the first place and he had been allowed the correct rehabilitation then he may not have been out for so long.

15 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’d keep him, we need more centre mids of that quality. But there’s no way we can offer him another contract on the same money. Can’t see another club offering him a big contract when he hasn’t played for 18 months, is 31 and there’s no guarantee he’ll be the same player. 

So think we should give him pre-season, and if he gets through that, a one year deal on reduced wages with an appearance bonus. If he wouldn’t accept that then we don’t have a choice he’d have to go

Is Lee on big money, then?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Maybe he was only out for so long because he was one of the players who were forced to play while still injured / not fully fit. Had his injuries been managed properly in the first place and he had been allowed the correct rehabilitation then he may not have been out for so long.

No one is forced to play through injury, Just ask Almen  Abdi ? 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Is Lee on big money, then?

No idea. But even if it’s 15-20k that’s too much to pay out if he can’t play. Being realistic, it would be worth the risk if whatever he’s on is halved with the oppprtunity to make the rest back in appearance fees

32 minutes ago, steveger said:

i wouldn't offer him nothing apart from a pay as you play deal.....we don't know if the lad can still do it for us

Do people actually still think these genuinely exist?

I think Lee will get a one year deal, Bruce said he's been impressed with him in training.

9 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

No idea. But even if it’s 15-20k that’s too much to pay out if he can’t play. Being realistic, it would be worth the risk if whatever he’s on is halved with the oppprtunity to make the rest back in appearance fees

After being out for so long and this being the biggest club he could play at in his current situation I'd suspect he'd accept anything. The best possible option for both parties is a cheap 1 year deal so he can prove his fitness with a clause that increases wage and length if he completes a certain number of appearances

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

If he can't play, then anything would be too much.

However, if he's genuinely nearing match fitness and his injury woes are behind him, then we have one of the best midfielders in this division on our books.

I'd like to think he'll feel some loyalty to the club and will be willing to accept a contract which reflects his recent availability for us, but we have to make sure our offer doesn't lead to him walking away and signing for another Championship club. I assume that if we're making him an offer then we must be pretty confident that he's fully recovered, and it would be gutting to see him fit and firing again for one of our rivals.

You only have to look at Alan Judge to see what can happen when a player is out with a long term injury.

A few seasons ago he was one of the stand out players in the division, since returning from his injury problems however he's been a shadow of his former self and has recently committed his long-term future to Ipswich.

Whether we offer Lee a deal or not, he'll get an offer elsewhere although I'd doubt whether the terms he'd get anywhere else will be as good as the deal he's had at Hillsborough over the last few seasons.

I think the chances of him accepting pay as you play are slim but the only deal I'd be tempted to give him would be 12 months on reduced wages. If after those 12 months he's played a certain amount of games, I'd then give him an option to extend for a further 12 months on his previous wage at Wednesday.

I'm not sure he'll get a better offer than that anywhere else, at least not in England.

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If he can't play, then anything would be too much.

However, if he's genuinely nearing match fitness and his injury woes are behind him, then we have one of the best midfielders in this division on our books.

I'd like to think he'll feel some loyalty to the club and will be willing to accept a contract which reflects his recent availability for us, but we have to make sure our offer doesn't lead to him walking away and signing for another Championship club. I assume that if we're making him an offer then we must be pretty confident that he's fully recovered, and it would be gutting to see him fit and firing again for one of our rivals.

Thing is, we’ll be making an assessment on whether he’s over his injuries. If he isn’t, he’ll be gone. If he is, it’s still a risk to us as the assessment could turn out wrong or he might not be the same player. On that basis, the wages need to be lower to reflect the risk and can be topped up by the appearance fee.

Nobody else in the championship is going to come in and offer him more than that as they won’t want to take the risk. It’s an even bigger risk for another club than it is for us as at least we have the full history of his injuries. All round, the best thing for him and us is for him to stay but on less money

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Thing is, we’ll be making an assessment on whether he’s over his injuries. If he isn’t, he’ll be gone. If he is, it’s still a risk to us as the assessment could turn out wrong or he might not be the same player. On that basis, the wages need to be lower to reflect the risk and can be topped up by the appearance fee.

Nobody else in the championship is going to come in and offer him more than that as they won’t want to take the risk. It’s an even bigger risk for another club than it is for us as at least we have the full history of his injuries. All round, the best thing for him and us is for him to stay but on less money

I tend to agree.

It's just my heart ruling my head, I'm sure, but there's that nagging doubt that we'll have paid him throughout his injury then he goes elsewhere and is back to his swashbuckling best whilst we look on enviously from the sidelines. It'd just be so Wednesday, wouldn't it?

Either way, I trust Bruce and his team to make the right call based on what they've seen of him in training in recent months.

41 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Do people actually still think these genuinely exist?

I think Lee will get a one year deal, Bruce said he's been impressed with him in training.

To be honest with you they probably don't in the higher divisions, you don't hear about them any more.